Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Learning the early shot

+6
Ray Dash
James Hensler
SteveT
TonyH
DA/SA
thessler
10 posters

Go down

Learning the early shot Empty Learning the early shot

Post by thessler 1/11/2020, 5:27 am

Hi
I have read much about getting the early shot I'm pretty sure I'm not doing it right but I am shooting better. I am wondering if I describe what I'm doing I might get some input good or bad to try to improve my process. I'm just start the center fire winter league so I'm using the 45 which  is so completely different than shooting my 22 I feel like I'm starting over.

First I lift the gun off the bench come to a complete stop just below the paper  and center the dot. Next start to raise onto the paper and start applying pressure to the trigger,  as I approach the black increase pressure. Once in the black,  bang.

That's my process in a nut shell.  I'm basically shooting a moving gun, if I stop the gun in the black to try and find the center all hell breaks loose and the shot can go anywhere. I know what works for you may not work for me and vice versa,  I'm pretty sure there is room for improvement here and hopefully get some good advice. 
Thank you, Tom

thessler

Back to top Go down

Learning the early shot Empty Re: Learning the early shot

Post by DA/SA 1/11/2020, 7:52 am

Try starting above the black and then lowering into it when using a dot. That's where you will be (above from recoil) after a shot, so why not start there?

May be easier for you, or may not be!
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH 1/11/2020, 8:55 am

Do a search for "shot+process" on this forum....and you will find a wealth of information. Look closely at what the Masters and High Masters write.
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 1/11/2020, 10:23 am

If you are shooting better, why do you think you are not doing it right? There are no magic elixirs in bullseye. If you adopt a better process, it often takes time to adapt to it and see the full improvement. How many times have you shot using your new technique? In my experience it takes at least 10 and usually more like 20-30 sessions to evaluate if something new is better or not.

I promote shooting quickly for new shooters. Many top shooters hold on target for a long time, but that is after years and years of training to build up strength and to recognize their hold pattern. Beginner and intermediate shooters don't have that advantage and rarely shoot better after holding more than a second or two. I think you are on the right track of settling on the target while increasing pressure on the trigger. It will take some time to train your muscle memory to trigger the shot just as the dot reaches the center, but it will be worth it.

I agree the settling down from above is usually better than rising up from below. Lower your arm mostly reduces tension in the arm muscles which usually leads to less tremors.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler 1/31/2020, 5:24 pm

TonyH wrote:Do a search for "shot+process" on this forum....and you will find a wealth of information. Look closely at what the Masters and High Masters write.
I love what Zins says! 
Pick gun up
Make gun go bang
Put gun down
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by Ray Dash 1/31/2020, 6:14 pm

I tried this way last season and gave up but this season I started doing it again and really noticed that when I get the shot off on time my scores are going up. Now if I can just train myself to set the pistol back down when I miss the window to shoot and start over again I may be in good shape Wink
Ray Dash
Ray Dash

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Tiedt 1/31/2020, 9:50 pm

James Hensler wrote:
TonyH wrote:Do a search for "shot+process" on this forum....and you will find a wealth of information. Look closely at what the Masters and High Masters write.
I love what Zins says! 
Pick gun up
Make gun go bang
Put gun down

I thought the Zins process was:
Drive to match
Win match
Drive home

Doug Tiedt

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 2/1/2020, 12:41 am

I think there is a common misconception about shooting your shot sooner than later. The shot process is exactly the same no matter when the shot breaks. When I train and when I train others, I teach them to train/learn how to squeeze the trigger fast, med and slow. That’s 3 tools in your tool box. From day to day our body reacts differently to holding/shooting. One might work better one day than the next. Also you could use all 3 speeds during a 2700 because of how long the match is. Training is training. 99% of the shooters think they’re training but really just going through the motions. Real training means really early shots in the the white at 12 o’clock. It means holding to long and seeing how bad that really is and what it truly affects. And shooting just right! You need to let the lead fly to grow and improve. Trying to do everything at once is foolery. Learn each fundamental by working on each fundamental. Learn to shoot early shots by shooting EARLY shots. And yes it does take many sessions to learn something new. I see guys reverting back to their old habits and continually getting the same results. It took me 6 months when I changed my thumb on my grip to make it feel natural. I think Bickar said “ya gotta break some eggs”. Go break some eggs.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 2/2/2020, 1:56 am

Jon Eulette wrote:I think Bickar said “ya gotta break some eggs”. Go break some eggs.
Jon
LOL, I was reading through your reply, nodding, and saying, "yep", and thinking, "you gotta break some eggs to make that omelette," and then I got to this line. Laughing

Yeah. What Jon said. Go break some eggs.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by Outthere 2/2/2020, 5:07 am

john bickar wrote:
Jon Eulette wrote:I think Bickar said “ya gotta break some eggs”. Go break some eggs.
Jon
LOL, I was reading through your reply, nodding, and saying, "yep", and thinking, "you gotta break some eggs to make that omelette," and then I got to this line. Laughing

Yeah. What Jon said. Go break some eggs.
You guys are making me hungry.  Smile
Outthere
Outthere

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down