Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gunsmith Recommendations for S&W Model 14 Action Job/Tuning

+9
Allgoodhits
Johnnie.Bair
WesG
Wobbley
DA/SA
Jack H
Jon Eulette
Outthere
Steve B
13 posters

Go down

Gunsmith Recommendations for S&W Model 14 Action Job/Tuning Empty Gunsmith Recommendations for S&W Model 14 Action Job/Tuning

Post by Johnnie.Bair 1/12/2020, 7:08 pm

Sadly since Jerry Keefer has left us, I am needing a bullseye gunsmith recommendation for an action job/tuning of my S&W Model 14. 

Jerry did a beautiful job on my last revolver with an action job, numbering the cylinders and Taylor throating the barrel. I have not kept up with the bullseye gunsmiths currently working on revolvers. A recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Johnnie

Johnnie.Bair

Back to top Go down

Gunsmith Recommendations for S&W Model 14 Action Job/Tuning Empty Re: Gunsmith Recommendations for S&W Model 14 Action Job/Tuning

Post by james r chapman 1/12/2020, 7:42 pm

Depending on your location, I can recommend Joe Leinenger, Howell, Michigan

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mojo-Custom-Guns-499943136769886/posts/

1-(248) 867-8685
I believe that is his current number.

Gunsmith Recommendations for S&W Model 14 Action Job/Tuning Mymojo11
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

1911a145 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Gunsmith Recommendations for S&W Model 14 Action Job/Tuning Empty Re: Gunsmith Recommendations for S&W Model 14 Action Job/Tuning

Post by Steve B 1/12/2020, 10:12 pm

You're not going to find a single gunsmith who believes in Taylor Throating.  The guy mentioned above is very much against that particular modification.
As for a general recommendation Jerry mentioned Mark at Pinnacle Custom when I was asking him to also work on my revolvers.

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Post by Outthere 1/12/2020, 10:27 pm

Mark does great work.
Outthere
Outthere

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 1/13/2020, 6:23 am

Good point on Taylor Throating.

Many Pros and Cons

Much like debating Magnaport.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid 1/13/2020, 11:21 am

Joe Leinenger's (MOJO guns) current phone number is 248-459-2922.
Also could someone explain "Taylor Throating" ? please.

Skid

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 1/13/2020, 12:16 pm

Taylor throating is where you have a gradual taper into the barrels rifling at the forcing cone. Instead of the small 11 degree (?) chamfer you have approximately a 1-1/2 times the diameter of the bullet taper. It is a smooth transition. 
I have two revolvers with Taylor throating and they shoot phenomenal! 
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 1/13/2020, 12:53 pm

How is Taylor throating accomplished? 
Is it machined off gun? 
Reamed on gun?

Who all does the work?
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA 1/13/2020, 12:55 pm

Hello Jon,

From what I have found, the barrel throat is opened up to basically bullet diameter for a length 1.5 to 2 times the caliber, then from that point, tapered into the barrel bore at 1.5 degrees. 

Does that sound correct?

Thanks!
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 1/13/2020, 1:01 pm

This document explains somewhat what options there are for revolver “throating”.

https://www.brownells.com/userdocs/learn/Inst-152.pdf

Taylor throating was a precursor to the Ron Power 11degree.  I’ve searched extensively and can find no info other than the tools are out of production and Mr Taylor passed some years ago.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA 1/13/2020, 1:19 pm

As you stated, very little info on it out there.

I've seen what Jerry K had posted about it and some images from him, and found a bit of text on the subject, but really nothing other than that. 

I did re-machine my Model 15 barrel to 11°, which had been dorked by someone using those hand tools. The 11° forcing cone they reamed was nowhere near concentric with the barrel bore. It's X ring at 25 yards now which I'm pretty happy with.

I've just been curious about the Taylor thing.

Thanks!
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 1/13/2020, 1:39 pm

DA/SA wrote:Hello Jon,

From what I have found, the barrel throat is opened up to basically bullet diameter for a length 1.5 to 2 times the caliber, then from that point, tapered into the barrel bore at 1.5 degrees. 

Does that sound correct?

Thanks!
Not exactly sure of the taper, but my non-calibrated eyes say 1.5-2 degrees.

Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA 1/13/2020, 1:41 pm

Thank You!!

My apologies for the hijack. I was going to PM Jon, but thought others may be interested as well.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG 1/13/2020, 3:32 pm

My understanding is Taylor throating is properly done with the barrel in place. The purpose of it is to relieve the constriction of the bore from torquing the barrel into the frame.

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnnie.Bair 1/13/2020, 8:04 pm

Thank you all for your input looking for a revolver gunsmith. For everyone’s information, Jerry K tuned my last Model 14 to shoot Remington 148 HBWC’s bullets by Taylor throating the barrel. My pistol easily holds the X ring on a 25 yard target with 2.6 grs WST and Remington 148 HBWC’s (Jerry’s pet 38 load). I don’t have an opinion accept whatever he did, my stock Model 14 shoots extremely well. 

Johnnie

Johnnie.Bair

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits 1/13/2020, 8:13 pm

Adding to the list of exceptional revolver smiths

Sandy Garrett at Northern Virginia Gun Works in Springfield, VA
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 1/13/2020, 8:17 pm

just some reading material on the subject.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid 1/13/2020, 8:18 pm

Thanks Jon.

Skid

Back to top Go down

Post by rreid 1/13/2020, 8:51 pm

I've had 2 Smith and Wessons tuned up by Brian Mallette in Davenport, Iowa. He does a great job and he's also a state pistol champion and 2600 shooter.
rreid
rreid

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve B 1/14/2020, 9:02 pm

Johnnie.Bair wrote:Thank you all for your input looking for a revolver gunsmith. For everyone’s information, Jerry K tuned my last Model 14 to shoot Remington 148 HBWC’s bullets by Taylor throating the barrel. My pistol easily holds the X ring on a 25 yard target with 2.6 grs WST and Remington 148 HBWC’s (Jerry’s pet 38 load). I don’t have an opinion accept whatever he did, my stock Model 14 shoots extremely well. 

Johnnie

I'm jealous...  I practically begged Jerry to work on my revolvers but he was winding down.
None of the reamer manufacturers are producing the reamer needed for Taylor Throating any longer.  Unfortunately most gunsmiths and people don't understand the benefit so it's a process that never became popular.  I do have a smith that will be trying to perform the throating by single pointing it on his lathe followed up by polishing the throat to remove the tool marks.  It should definitely be done on a lathe after indicating barrel centerline, not using hand tools.  If the process works well I'll let everyone here see photos and endorse the smith.

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Don 1/14/2020, 11:19 pm

Dave Manson will make you a custom reamer to any shape and dimension you want.  Costs more than a stock reamer but I have had good results from his custom work.
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down