Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tried my hand at tuning a Model 41 extractor

5 posters

Go down

Tried my hand at tuning a Model 41 extractor  Empty Tried my hand at tuning a Model 41 extractor

Post by Tim:H11 5/30/2022, 12:37 pm

With my long weekend I decided to tinker with my old Model 41. It doesn’t extract cartridge casings reliably. I always fought this issue with very light recoil springs and adding a little lubricant to my ammunition. It was a band aid fix and not the solution. 

A qualified gunsmith pointed me in the right direction of explaining what the extractor should look like and how it should engage the cartridge casing. He also told me that I could hand cycle the gun, with live ammunition so long as the firing pin was removed, and also to leave out the recoil spring so I can control the movement of the slide better and see what was happening. 

Through a mixed and back and forth process of filing, stoning, and bending the extractor, I believe I have it working properly. I will need to live fire the weapon at the range to be sure but it hand cycled a variety of ammunition now with and without the recoil spring. Hopefully this old gun is back in working order.
Tim:H11
Tim:H11

chopper and Sc0 like this post

Back to top Go down

Tried my hand at tuning a Model 41 extractor  Empty Re: Tried my hand at tuning a Model 41 extractor

Post by JrzyBoy 5/30/2022, 11:14 pm

I bought my Model #41 new in 2007. By 2021, I started having stovepipe problems. I've read various articles on tuning a #41 extractor. I also looked at pictures and videos and decided it wasn't difficult to replace it. I got a replacement extractor from Brownell's for $15 and its been working fine since then.

JrzyBoy

Back to top Go down

Tried my hand at tuning a Model 41 extractor  Empty Re: Tried my hand at tuning a Model 41 extractor

Post by jglenn21 5/31/2022, 7:03 am

The volquartson extrator is a very good upgrade for the 41 and has solved many extraction issues by itself, but its not perfect..
I followed a Jerry Keefer example and added just a small drop of tig weld to the inside edge of the extractor..this allows you to adjust the amount of the claw engagement by slowly filing it. Now the claw only touches the rim and not the case
jglenn21
jglenn21

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 5/31/2022, 8:01 am

The typical problem is the hook only touched part of the rim. Usually at the centerline or higher. This allows the case to drop down from the breach face . Test this by observing if the slide holds a case by itself. Ideally you want a little contact from under the centerline to keep she'll in place.

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Kp321 5/31/2022, 8:36 am

+1 on the Volquartsen extractor.

Kp321

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down