Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Elections for the NRA Board of Directors

+9
john bickar
Merick
dfk178
REConley
OldShooter43
croesler
james r chapman
joy2shoot
ted.carter.568
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Elections for the NRA Board of Directors Empty Elections for the NRA Board of Directors

Post by ted.carter.568 1/22/2020, 2:09 pm

Attention NRA 5-year members and NRA Life members

The 2020 Board of Director election ballots are in your February NRA Publications (Rifleman, Hunter, 1st Freedom)

Thanks to the many individuals who circulated petitions for my nomination.  Over 1000 signatures were submitted to the NRA.

I'd be honored to have your vote, and if elected, I'll do my very best to continue supporting our community of Bullseye shooters and all competitive shooters.

There are only a handful of NRA Board members who have and continue to actively work to promote and support competitive shooting in the NRA.

Please consider Howard "Walt" Walter and Patricia Clark, along with myself, and new candidate Todd Ellis when casting your vote.

There are many great candidates.  Take the time to read the candidate information printed in your NRA publication.

Please encourage your fellow competitive shooters and NRA members, eligible to vote, to cast their ballots.

Thanks for your consideration.

Ted

Ted Carter

ted.carter.568

Back to top Go down

Elections for the NRA Board of Directors Empty Re: Elections for the NRA Board of Directors

Post by joy2shoot 1/22/2020, 3:30 pm

Ted,

How do we get the ballot if we receive the publication electronically?

Thanks,
Thomas

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Elections for the NRA Board of Directors Empty Re: Elections for the NRA Board of Directors

Post by ted.carter.568 1/22/2020, 4:16 pm

joy2shoot wrote:Ted,

How do we get the ballot if we receive the publication electronically?

Thanks,
Thomas
Good question.  I'm thinking that you should receive a separate ballot in the mail.  There is no electronic voting...all done by US Postal system.  If you do not receive something in the mail within a week, I'd recommend calling NRA membership.

ted.carter.568

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 1/22/2020, 5:27 pm

The same USPS that handled the 2019 NRA Sectional scorecards?

(snicker)
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by croesler 1/22/2020, 9:04 pm

Ted - If we forum folks vote for your slate, will you guarantee and see to it that the Competition records, including Precision Pistol (Bullseye) and Distinguished Revolver program are funded with a competent staff that can keep up?  E.g. sectionals, nationals, scoring of points towards distinguished, etc. are all maintained instead of just giving this up to the CMP who seems to care, whereas NRA seems to care mostly about lobbying and clothing wardrobes?
croesler
croesler

Back to top Go down

Post by ted.carter.568 1/22/2020, 10:00 pm

croesler wrote:Ted - If we forum folks vote for your slate, will you guarantee and see to it that the Competition records, including Precision Pistol (Bullseye) and Distinguished Revolver program are funded with a competent staff that can keep up?  E.g. sectionals, nationals, scoring of points towards distinguished, etc. are all maintained instead of just giving this up to the CMP who seems to care, whereas NRA seems to care mostly about lobbying and clothing wardrobes?
Sorry to say, I cannot "guarantee" to get done, the things you are asking for.  It disappoints me, as a Bullseye competitor, a DR competitor, and an elected NRA Board members that the NRA is not able to maintain their competitive shooting program to the standard needed or expected.  As an aside, I'm not convinced CMP cares all that much.  As for lobbying...that's not my interest, but I understand that it must happen.  And the clothing wardrobes...a story blown out of proportion with many facts missing. 

What I will guarantee is that the 4 members up for election/reelection will work hard, as we have been, to address the issues you've highlighted and other issues impacting other shooting disciplines that have suffered.  At the recently held Board meeting, I had no problems speaking in front of the rest of the Board, highlighting long overdue NRA efforts to update our rule books. Or standing up during a Finance Committee meeting and citing declining customer service within the Competitive Shooting Division, and asking about funding for our 3 Natl Championships at Camp Atterbury this year.

One thing members may not fully understand is the critical need to win in NRA's legal action against the NY Governor and his Attorney General, as there is so much at stake.  We all grasp the need to reelect a pro gun President, keep a pro gun Senate and increase the number of pro gun House seats...all in 2020. That costs money.   

The bottom-line as I see it, is if any or all 4 of us do not get elected/reelected, then the competitive shooting voice on the NRA Board will be that much more diminished.  Vote for the "slate" and I'll guarantee you that Patti, Walt, Todd and I will do our best to get funding restored back to our competitive shooting programs and work to fix the issues you and others have addressed.

ted.carter.568

Back to top Go down

Post by OldShooter43 1/23/2020, 6:02 am

Ted,
Where do you think Cole McCullough stands on this.  When I was an RSO at the Peacemaker National Training Center several years ago, his primary focus was on rifle and 3-Gun competition.  He did get involved with IDPA and developed "tactical" ranges for IPSC and USPSA competitions,  Bullseye shooting was never considered or addressed that I know of.

OldShooter43

Back to top Go down

Post by REConley 1/23/2020, 6:48 am

Ted, in reply to the request for support let me point out an issue or two. Per a 2013 lifestyle survey 93 million Americans own guns. Since that time gun ownership has increased and the NRA membership claim of 5 million members has been stagnant. With new gun owners we could estimate 95 million owners today which would mean the NRA represents one in nineteen. 1/19th is a failure grade  any way you slice it. The leadership of the NRA has been focused on the same message for the last 30 years and it is a failure. Why would we want to support individuals that are incapable of realizing that the executive staff does not have 30 years of experience, rather they have one year of experience 30 times over.
REConley
REConley

Back to top Go down

Post by joy2shoot 1/23/2020, 7:58 am

ted.carter.568 wrote:And the clothing wardrobes...a story blown out of proportion with many facts missing. 
Ted, if you know the truth, I would like to hear it.  Otherwise, the 'rumors' that my money is being used to buy clothes for a multi millionaire remain fact.  --Thomas

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by ted.carter.568 1/23/2020, 8:18 am

OldShooter43 wrote:Ted,
Where do you think Cole McCullough stands on this.  When I was an RSO at the Peacemaker National Training Center several years ago, his primary focus was on rifle and 3-Gun competition.  He did get involved with IDPA and developed "tactical" ranges for IPSC and USPSA competitions,  Bullseye shooting was never considered or addressed that I know of.
In conversations with Cole, he has voiced his strong support for Precision Pistol.  The fact that NRA is bringing Precision Pistol along with Smallbore to join with High Power under "one roof" sends a signal that NRA (Cole) has not abandoned Precision Pistol.  That of course opens another subject on the Camp Atterbury range construction timeline.  The 2019 and 2020 NRA budgets have hit all of NRA, and regrettably, the Competitive Shooting Division has also been impacted, as noted in another post.  I don't like it and neither do any of the other competitive shooting Board members.

ted.carter.568

Back to top Go down

Post by OldShooter43 1/23/2020, 8:41 am

If you'd like to see the financial records of the NRA as reported to the IRS on their Form 990, I can provide that - and it's easily acquired online.  Unfortunately, the latest Form 990 available is for 2017 and it's 92 pages long.  However, most of the data of real interest is on 6 or 7 pages.   I also have Form 990s for the GOA and several other "pro 2A" organizations.

Just a sample of numbers from the NRA's 990 in 2017:
Total Revenue = $366,889,703
      Member dues = $128,209,303
Total Expenses = $412,737,440
      Salaries and other compensation = $63,330,881 (Wayne's = $1,433,977)
      Professional fundraising = $8,410,603
      Other expenses = $335,910,456 (This takes some digging through Part IX)

OldShooter43

Back to top Go down

Post by ted.carter.568 1/23/2020, 8:48 am

joy2shoot wrote:
ted.carter.568 wrote:And the clothing wardrobes...a story blown out of proportion with many facts missing. 
Ted, if you know the truth, I would like to hear it.  Otherwise, the 'rumors' that my money is being used to buy clothes for a multi millionaire remain fact.  --Thomas
As the Executive Vice President and CEO for the NRA, Wayne LaPierre, over a period of many years was asked and tasked to speak to many organizations (political, news, fundraising, advertising).  NRA's Public Affairs firm, accessed the venue and gave the wardrobe requirements (purchased clothing) to have the greatest impact on the specific event.  Yes NRA paid for the suits.  Wayne attended the events, gave presentations, raised money...a lot of money for NRA, which has more than paid the cost of the clothing.  Given new vendor requirements, NRA is no longer using that PR firm.  You can read about the ongoing legal actions at https://www.nralegalfacts.org/.

I don't wear custom suits, so I am not knowledgeable on why they cost so much...however the level of interaction demanded high end clothing...I can understand that, and as a NRA member and NRA donor, given the return on the investment, I can accept that.

When I was fortunate to get an invitation to the US National Team preliminary tryouts (long time ago), my High Standard was upgraded to a Hammerli 208, my FWD 65 was upgraded to a FWB C10, and I purchased a Hammerli Free Pistol to replace a much older model that I was shooting at the time.  I purchased the best gear available to be competitive at that level, and it wasn't cheep.  There are folks who don't understand why a $2K+ pistol is needed.  But we do, and to be competitive you need the right gear, and yes absolutely, the right talent.  To be competitive and influential and represent the NRA and its members best interests, the EVP needed to right wardrobe.

Hope that helps.

ted.carter.568

Back to top Go down

Elections for the NRA Board of Directors Empty DIRECTOR'S Medal --Some History

Post by dfk178 1/23/2020, 9:55 am

1874 DIRECTOR'S Medal. There were 15 Director's in 1874. Today 76 Directors.
This medal was worn during the First International Rifle Matches at Creedmoor. US (934) vs Ireland (931).
Elections for the NRA Board of Directors Direct11
dfk178
dfk178

Back to top Go down

Post by Merick 1/23/2020, 9:59 pm

dfk178 wrote:-There were 15 Director's in 1874. Today 76 Directors.-

average corporate board size is 9 members

anyone that has been to a meeting knows much more than that is totally dysfunctional,

76 is preposterous.

Send out medals or don't, but the board (if not voting members) should see current audited financial statements. If we can't get that then there is no hope of taking on the other big problems (such as the carry guard insurance disaster, alleged payments to board members, whatever is going on with ackerman macqueen) and the super effective lobbing and court challenges.

Merick

Back to top Go down

Post by joy2shoot 1/23/2020, 10:29 pm

ted.carter.568 wrote:
Hope that helps.
It helps me understand how you have rationalized it.  I still think it is inappropriate.  If the NRA wants to use my money to buy clothes, buy them for homeless vets.  Personally, I want to see term limits.

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 1/23/2020, 11:16 pm

I don't know Ted personally, only online.

I will say that what I've seen from those interactions, both public and private, have indicated to me that he is an individual with integrity who has the interests of the shooting sports - and specifically bullseye - at top-of-mind in the thankless work that he does.

What credible information have you heard from the NRA over the last 12-18 months regarding situations such as the Sectionals (2019 protest) and 2020 Camp Atterbury? What I have read has largely come from Ted, either here or on Facebook.

The NRA, and specifically NRA bullseye pistol, has a lot that is in need of fixing. I can't do anything about all of Wayne's $3,000 suits, but I can run matches and leagues in my area, and I can cast a vote for someone that I believe is advocating for competitive shooting on the NRA Board.

I'll be voting in the NRA Board elections for the first time ever this year (30 years as a Life Member).

Ted Carter has my vote.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 1/24/2020, 5:18 am

Well said
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joy2shoot 1/24/2020, 7:33 am

john bickar wrote:The NRA ... has a lot that is in need of fixing.
And it is the NRA my concerns are directed at.  I would like to think I can express my concerns to a NRA Director.  My priorities are term limits, fiscal transparency and supporting shooting education and sports.  If the NRA loses it's tax-exempt status because of certain expenditures, then we will be losing alot.

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by ted.carter.568 1/24/2020, 11:56 am

john bickar wrote:I don't know Ted personally, only online.

I will say that what I've seen from those interactions, both public and private, have indicated to me that he is an individual with integrity who has the interests of the shooting sports - and specifically bullseye - at top-of-mind in the thankless work that he does.

What credible information have you heard from the NRA over the last 12-18 months regarding situations such as the Sectionals (2019 protest) and 2020 Camp Atterbury? What I have read has largely come from Ted, either here or on Facebook.

The NRA, and specifically NRA bullseye pistol, has a lot that is in need of fixing. I can't do anything about all of Wayne's $3,000 suits, but I can run matches and leagues in my area, and I can cast a vote for someone that I believe is advocating for competitive shooting on the NRA Board.

I'll be voting in the NRA Board elections for the first time ever this year (30 years as a Life Member).

Ted Carter has my vote.
John...appreciate the kind words.  They mean a lot.

Thanks,

Ted

ted.carter.568

Back to top Go down

Post by ted.carter.568 1/24/2020, 12:12 pm

joy2shoot wrote:
john bickar wrote:The NRA ... has a lot that is in need of fixing.
And it is the NRA my concerns are directed at.  I would like to think I can express my concerns to a NRA Director.  My priorities are term limits, fiscal transparency and supporting shooting education and sports.  If the NRA loses it's tax-exempt status because of certain expenditures, then we will be losing alot.
John:  Spot on...there are areas of the NRA, and I'll specifically focus on NRA's competitive shooting programs and the customer service to it match officials and its competitors that need fixing.  While I'm disappointed at the direction things have been going...I and my fellow competitive shooting Board members will continue to highlight the need to fix multiple issues.

Thomas: I hear your priorities "loud and clear".  The NY legal battle and its outcome will either be a game changer for the NRA and our 2A Freedoms or a reinforcement of our pro-gun rights: https://www.nralegalfacts.org/

ted.carter.568

Back to top Go down

Post by joy2shoot 1/24/2020, 1:51 pm

ted.carter.568 wrote:Thomas: I hear your priorities "loud and clear".  The NY legal battle and its outcome ...
Thank you Ted.  Of all things NRA, it is the NY legal battle that concerns me the most (not the battle of how the NYAG office gets documents, but the possibility of losing tax exempt status).  If the NRA loses tax exempt status, lack of support for the shooting sports will be the least of our worries.  That is why we, members, directors, officers, should be above reproach in our dealings.

p.s. A shout out to the admins for letting this 'political' thread continue.  Typical, forum rules forbid political postings.

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Morgan 1/25/2020, 1:11 pm

So, got the ballot in today- got Ted's slate bulleted in.

Avoid voting for the following:

Dave Butz (famous athlete)
Allan Coors (deep state NRA)
Niger Innis (blowhard pundit wants another platform for personal gain)
Ronald Schmeits (deep state NRA)
Charles Cotton (deep state NRA)
Anthony Colandro (blowhard pundit wants another platform for personal gain)

Please also consider voting for:

Robert Wos
Kevin Hogan
Thomas Arvas
Mark Vaughan

I think this is the weakest slate of women candidates I've seen.

Joe Morgan

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 1/25/2020, 7:41 pm

Dropped my ballot in the mail today. 

Ted, thanks for your communication and transparency. I'm extremely disappointed with the current state of NRA Pistol, NRA Competitions, and the NRA as a whole. I voted today for NRA BOD for the first time ever in 30 years as a Life Member. I realize now that I should have done so in past years.

I appreciate your commitment to working within the system. We can't fix what has (or hasn't) been done in the past, but we can change things going forward.

Last edited by john bickar on 1/25/2020, 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by REConley 1/25/2020, 7:51 pm

What is the definition of  a "Deep State NRA" ?
REConley
REConley

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 1/25/2020, 10:39 pm

Working on my ballot as a Benefactor Life Member.

Do we have a second on these nominees?

Robert Wos
Kevin Hogan
Thomas Arvas
Mark Vaughan
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next