Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question for you Nelson 22 conversion owners

+6
Kp321
Jon Eulette
james r chapman
mikemyers
LenV
45ACP223
10 posters

Go down

Question for you Nelson 22 conversion owners Empty Question for you Nelson 22 conversion owners

Post by 45ACP223 2/13/2020, 8:45 pm

I received my Nelson conversion kit in January.   I decided to lighten the trigger pull, so I sent it out to have a trigger job.   I've since put 500 rounds through it.    It's performed flawlessly except for two failure to feed.   In both cases when I removed the round, the bullet was pointing up about 15-30 degrees.  I'm guessing it hit the top of the chamber instead of going in.   I'm not seeing any evidence of lead shavings so perhaps these are flukes.   My question is around cleaning.   I'm assuming the only way to properly clean it from the breach is to remove the slide from the barrel/scope mount which means you have to take out the guide rod and spring/buffer.   It's a real pain to install/compress the spring/buffer and guide rod.   Any tips on an easy way to do this?   Or with this design, it is what it is?

Last edited by 45ACP223 on 2/13/2020, 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
45ACP223
45ACP223

Back to top Go down

Question for you Nelson 22 conversion owners Empty Re: Question for you Nelson 22 conversion owners

Post by LenV 2/13/2020, 8:49 pm

I run a bore snake up thru the mag well and pull it thru once. Just once before use.
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Question for you Nelson 22 conversion owners Empty Re: Question for you Nelson 22 conversion owners

Post by mikemyers 2/13/2020, 9:05 pm

45ACP223 wrote:........It's a real pain to install/compress the spring/buffer and guide rod.   Any tips on an easy way to do this?   Or with this design, it is what it is?
Once you get the hang of it, it's easy.  There was a video I found about how to do this, which I posted here last year.  I'll try to find it again....

Found it - watch this video, 16 minutes in.  Cleaning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIpPMFm5ubM&t=840s

Last edited by mikemyers on 2/13/2020, 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 2/13/2020, 9:10 pm

LenV wrote:I run a bore snake up thru the mag well and pull it thru once. Just once before use.

+1. K.I.S.S
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 2/13/2020, 9:13 pm

If for whatever reason, you want to disassemble and re-assemble those parts, the spring was driving me nuts.  After watching the above video, and keeping the spring under control, it was easy.  Maybe not needed for cleaning, but that's the only way I was doing it back when I was using my Nelson.

Need to finish what I'm doing nowadays, and get the Nelson going again.  Maybe in a week.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 2/13/2020, 9:24 pm

What recoil spring weight are you using? If it is too light, the cartridge can flip up out of the magazine during recoil and then jam during feeding. I'm assuming you are using the plastic magazines that came with the conversion? Plastic magazines do not control the feeding angle of the cartridge.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by 45ACP223 2/13/2020, 9:55 pm

Jon, yes stock polymer mags, it's whatever spring Larry installed when he shipped it (not labeled).  I'm assuming it's the 8# spring, but I could be wrong.  I assumed the barrel ramp controls the feed angle.

The .22 bore snake sounds like a better option, along with a stripped down cleaning every once in a while.

Mike, thanks for the links, I'll check them out.......just watched them, I'm shooting off hand (bullseye), so the mag moving up is not an issue.  Interesting video, wish he was shooting 50 yds. :-)   So far, I shoot my HS Victor better, but I've got an Ultradot on it.  I have a Vortex Venom mounted to the Nelson currently.   I'll be swapping it out to a Holosun HS403R I have laying around.   If that doesn't work, I'll order another UD.

Last edited by 45ACP223 on 2/13/2020, 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : watched video)
45ACP223
45ACP223

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 2/13/2020, 10:40 pm

It is easier to do than to describe. You push the rod in a little, then push more of the spring onto the rod. The more you do, the easier it gets. When the spring is fully over the rod, push the rod i all the way, then start screwing it in place. At some point, push the buffer in all the way. Easy peasy!
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Kp321 2/13/2020, 10:41 pm

The recoil spring is not heavy and is easily installed. To assist in reassembly, I keep a cardboard cylinder, actually an empty 2” masking tape roll, on the bench. Lay the complete upper on the roll with the optic inside the cylinder then you have both hands available to control the spring and insert the guide rod. 
The supplied wrench is too long to easily use on this support so I made a short wrench by taking a socket head cap screw that fits the hex on the guide rod and bent it into an L shape, giving me a short wrench to run the guide rod in quickly. I then torque it adequately with the longer wrench. 
I take mine down completely after each match so I can clean the chamber well. The chamber is so tight it doesn’t take much build up to cause a fte. A bore snake alone doesn’t remove all the carbon buildup. I use a felt chamber mop soaked with brake cleaner followed by the bore snake. 
By the way, I have had zero problems with the supplied polymer mags.

Kp321

Back to top Go down

Post by jm7480 2/18/2020, 12:49 am

I also use a 22 bore snake after each match and found that it does a good job. I do a complete disassembly every 500 rounds or so.
jm7480
jm7480

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 2/18/2020, 7:05 am

On most any 22 you really only need to clean the chamber on a regular basis..i use a bent 25 caliber bronze brush for that purpose.. dirty chambers cause failures to feed not dirty bores.

I hate bore snakes..just me
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper 2/18/2020, 9:43 am

I'm with Jimmy G. on bore snakes ( filthy things). If I clean the bore, I use a length of trimmer string and a dry patch, quick and easy. I clean the chamber with the bent brush also. I clean the rim recess in the breach with a brush or pick to get the built up wax and pucky out so the case will seat under the extractor good, I only do this if having problems with feeding.
 Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 2/18/2020, 10:07 am

I use a chamber brush, 25 cal bore brush bent to a 90 degree angle that gives the length of a 22. This cleans the chamber. I then use a pull through, either homemade from trimmer string or a commercial equiavlent with a patch to pull any gunk from chamber to muzzle. 

Two other areas that I pay attention to are the extractor notch and either side of the feed ramp.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by 45ACP223 2/18/2020, 1:02 pm

Good feedback, sounds like a much better way than disassembling it every time.   I'll buy a .25cal brush.   Thanks gents!
45ACP223
45ACP223

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 2/18/2020, 5:58 pm

I suspect that if you get the .25 cal brush, you'll find it much easier to do the cleaning if you disassemble the Nelson.  It comes apart so easily, there's nothing to it.  You can spread out all the parts, make sure everything is clean and ready, and re-assemble it.  It's easier to do than to describe and also easier to do than it looks in the video I posted.  

I guess I better get my own Nelson put back together.  Maybe I can do that Monday.  I'm curious how it will compare with my High Standard.

If I can get my Les Baer back together, I figure I can do anything!   :-)
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 2/18/2020, 6:26 pm

I disagree, get the .25 cal rifle brush, bend into an “L” shape.
Then anytime during a shooting session you can insert it into the chamber. Rotate it within its limits, and remove.
You chamber will be ready to continue
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 2/18/2020, 7:13 pm

Jim, I don't disagree with anything you're saying, just that when I'm home, cleaning the gun, I'd rather take it apart.  I think it was you who suggested it - I ordered three of the .25 cal brushes, and bent it into the L shape.  Makes it easier to clean the chamber, and I have two more in my cleaning box if I somehow lose this one.

(If the barrel is removed first, there are no limits to turning the 90-degree brush.)
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down