Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nelson conversion question, Eley Force

+3
james r chapman
DA/SA
SteveJewels
7 posters

Go down

Nelson conversion question, Eley Force Empty Nelson conversion question, Eley Force

Post by SteveJewels 8/11/2023, 3:36 pm

I am looking at the match chamber option for the Nelson conversion. It says it "may not work well with Mini Mag, Eley Force, etc."

Mini Mag and Force are both higher velocity, 1,235 and 1,250 respectively.

What is the problem?

Does this apply to other Eley ammo like Tenex, Match, and Team with the flat nose? What about the other Eley ammo like Target and Club? I would start with the Club I have and go from there.

Follow on question. Is there a time proven standard (middle grade) ammo that is usually good with a Nelson?

Thanks!

SteveJewels

Back to top Go down

Nelson conversion question, Eley Force Empty Re: Nelson conversion question, Eley Force

Post by DA/SA 8/11/2023, 4:14 pm

SteveJewels wrote:Follow on question. Is there a time proven standard (middle grade) ammo that is usually good with a Nelson?
Save some money and try some CCI Standard Velocity.

I'd stay away from anything but standard velocity ammo.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Nelson conversion question, Eley Force Empty Re: Nelson conversion question, Eley Force

Post by james r chapman 8/11/2023, 4:23 pm

2nd on the CCI SV.

also, all sv Eley will work fine.

Call Larry Nelson, he will explain.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

ric1911a1 and sayracin like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jgolba 8/13/2023, 2:40 pm

Experiance with my Nelson conversion (with match chamber) the following work well for me:
  • CCI Standard Velocity (by far used the most)
  • CCI Pistol Match
  • Eley Club (second most used...a not too distant second)
  • SK Pistol Match  Special

Those that have not done well by me include:
  • Aguila .22 Super Extra
  • Lapua Pistol King (which surprised me)
  • Federal American Eagle HV
  • Federal Premium Target

But note...your experiance may differ.

jgolba

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveJewels 8/13/2023, 4:25 pm

Thanks for the responses, especially @jgolba.

I ordered some CCI SV, seems like a good place to start.

I use Club in my Anschutz 1907. Glad to know that is a good one to try.

CCI Pistol Match is getting into what I consider 'Higher Grade'. As is CCI Pistol Match Special. It will be a while before I go there.

SteveJewels

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 8/14/2023, 6:22 am

I have re-barrel a few Nelsons, basically un-screwed the Nelson from the mounting block and screwed in a barrel I machined to fit. In testing I found and was surprised to see CCI SV grouped better than the SK Standard Plus, Match and Match Special.

Froneck

SteveJewels likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveJewels 8/14/2023, 3:29 pm

@ Froneck

You made the barrel or finished/fit it?

SteveJewels

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 8/15/2023, 1:00 pm

SteveJewels wrote:@ Froneck

You made the barrel or finished/fit it?
I have an anschutz barrel blank, probably only about 11" yet uncut. I un-screwed the barrel from the block holding the barrel that is used to attach the barrel to the frame. Copied the straight and threaded area, crowned and chambered the barrel, then screwed the new barrel in the block. Cut the extractor groove then drilled 2 holes in the barrel, one threaded another for the pin in the scope mount. The other threaded hole is in the block. I've also did it with other barrel brands.
 Because I purchased a case each of the 3 SK .22LR ammo types I used SK and some CCi and other cheaper brands I had and used it to test group size when requested.
 Not sure what Clymer chambering reamer I have, I do intend to check it with a micrometer and compare the size to the chart of sizes. Reamer has given excellent results in other .22lr auto loading pistols I've built but if it's not to Bentz dimensions I intend to order that reamer just to try it.
 I have also used the reamer to chamber the sleeve purchased from Brownells that I installed in a one piece barrel that I'm using in my .22 conversion. Should have the extractor fitted in a few days. Slot has been cut in the slide.
 Just a note to say I have a Starrett 575FP thread micrometer I used to cut 40tpi LH thread on the barrel and a 3/8-40 LH tap to clean out the blank's threads.

Froneck

SteveJewels likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveJewels 8/19/2023, 6:55 pm

@Froneck

Very nice!

SteveJewels

Back to top Go down

Post by Kp321 8/20/2023, 10:25 am

According to some on this forum, I abuse my Nelson 22. I use it in a weekly steel match that is timed so any malfunction costs points. CCI SV or any SV I have tried is iffy in lower temps. Therefore I use Aguila HV, not their ultra high valocity, year round. I think it is listed to be around 1250 fps or so. I have put about 8000 rounds through my Nelson with no damage and with 100% reliability. 
  By the way, I have a second Nelson reserved for bullseye use only.

Kp321

Back to top Go down

Post by toddcfii 8/20/2023, 7:26 pm

This may be a partial answer to your original question and is my understanding: HV ammo exits the barrel at supersonic speed it then begins to slow down and eventually goes subsonic. When it transits the sonic region it develops a wobble and that wobble decreases accuracy. So for bullseye shooting where accuracy is everything and velocity (energy) means almost nothing HV ammo is a poor choice.
toddcfii
toddcfii

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down