Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best reloading press- opinions please

+24
Blsi2600
Jwhelan939
Axehandle
tovaert
bob finger
rburk
lyman1903
fc60
chiz1180
bruce martindale
Wobbley
john bickar
zanemoseley
LenV
WesG
blindshooter
PhotoEscape
dronning
JIMPGOV
John Dervis
DA/SA
James Hensler
jglenn21
dapduh2
28 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Best reloading press- opinions please - Page 2 Empty Best reloading press- opinions please

Post by dapduh2 2/18/2020, 6:30 pm

First topic message reminder :

So I’m leaving active duty in a few months and going back to being a drilling member of the National Guard. I’ll have much more time to shoot and a convenient place to do so. I’m setting cash aside and would like to dive into reloading probably after the summer. So here’s the question...

If you could buy one press right now what would it be and why. I was looking at a Dillon 650 and for that price point wasn’t sure if there was a better option. Initially loading .45, but eventually 9mm and .38. 

Thanks for any help/ insight.
dapduh2
dapduh2

Back to top Go down

Best reloading press- opinions please - Page 2 Empty Re: Best reloading press- opinions please

Post by DA/SA 2/22/2020, 8:44 am

Tens of thousands of rounds through my bone stock 650 and all is does is work. Haven't found any reason for aftermarket "upgrades".

OAL may vary a few thousandths at the most.

Lifetime warranty.

Replacement parts are free if needed with a phone call and shipped right away.

Caliber changes might take five minutes if even that.

Resale value is very good.

What's not to like?
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Best reloading press- opinions please - Page 2 Empty Re: Best reloading press- opinions please

Post by bruce martindale 2/22/2020, 9:45 am

Want inexpensive? I like my Lee Loadmaster but it is finicky, can't run low on primers or it bites you. I removed the auto index bar and slide the casefeeder shuttle by hand. It is smooooth. Lee powder measures are precise and consistent. The chouce of dies is important; l have issues with Dillons especially for soft lead like the Star or Zero 185

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 2/22/2020, 9:46 am

I personally have a a Hornady Lock n Load, I have had great success with the it. In my opinion more important than the press (what ever color/flavor/brand) is getting it dialed in and die choice. My personal recommendation is that regardless of the press you get make sure the bench you mount it to is stout.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA 2/22/2020, 10:00 am

chiz1180 wrote: My personal recommendation is that regardless of the press you get make sure the bench you mount it to is stout.
That is the key.

Mine are mounted to a steel table with a 8' x 8' x 1'2" thick steel top. That table weighs North of 1000 lbs and all my projectiles reside on the lower shelf. The presses feel like they are mounted to a concrete slab, zero movement, and are problem free and amazingly consistent. A press and bench that wobble around can be very problematic.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2/22/2020, 10:19 am

+1 re a 650
+++1 re a sturdy bench, makes a world of difference.
Easy to build one from scrap lengths of framing lumber - find a pal with a planer to make it smooth and square, glue and 3" screw something together - then store all of your bullets below to add stability. Like this:-
Best reloading press- opinions please - Page 2 Xl650_10
I like to stand when loading so I chose the very sturdy Inline Fabrication medium riser. So I can easily look down into each case at station 3 to visually check the powder load as I go.

I went through the learning curve with a cheap Lee Classic Turret press, which I subsequently sold on, but, short of making a big investment in time/money on a Star Universal, an XL650/750 is a wise choice. Buy the Dillon dies too, others will work, but Lee dies are too short to be convenient.

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 2/22/2020, 11:08 am

Greetings,

Star Machine Works is alive and well in New Jersey.

In the past, I have machined a number of new shell plates and dies for them.

Bruce keeps a good stock of machines. He tears down used ones and completely refinishes them.

Also, let us not forget the CPM Progressive Reloader. (Clyde Precision Machine). These use the 7/8-14 dies and function a lot like the Star. It is bit larger and heavier than the Star.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 2/22/2020, 11:22 am

I should also state that , in addition to the Lee, l have two Star machines and a pro 1000.

Match ammo comes off the Loadmaster

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 2/22/2020, 1:57 pm

Dave, i have a CPM sitting on my bench.. used it quite a bit in the late 70s. Has both 45 and 38spl setup.. has a Freeloader from back in those days on it.. dont see many of them these days..
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 2/22/2020, 2:16 pm

WesG wrote:Yeah, so ...

Some of us just aren't cool enough for a Star.

Or a '57 Corvette. Or ...

...a 1999 Chevy S10.

It's OK to want what I have, Wes. Cool
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 2/22/2020, 2:25 pm

If you are considering a 650 go with the 750.  Better priming system, beefier frame, smoother operation.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 2/22/2020, 8:06 pm

jglenn21 wrote:Dave, i have a CPM sitting on my bench.. used it quite a bit in the late 70s.  Has both 45 and 38spl setup.. has a Freeloader from back in those days on it..  dont see many of them these days..
Greetings Jimmy,

I also have a FreeLoader. Fantastic device.

With my CPM, it came with a Chevron Case Feeder and the proper bracket. I had a friend make me a bracket to fit my Star. I never powered it up as the FreeLoader works just fine.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by lyman1903 2/24/2020, 5:45 pm

no love for the Square Deal B?
lyman1903
lyman1903

http://www.chesterfieldarmament.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 2/24/2020, 6:51 pm

lyman1903 wrote:no love for the Square Deal B?
I have a friend that bought one maybe 10 yrs ago and he set it up for 45acp and it's never been changed, it's still is the only loader he has.  He is very happy with it.  I bet he has loaded 50K 45acp rounds with it.

I didn't like the proprietary dies and the 550C was around the same price and even though it's not an auto indexing press it's still plenty fast and you can add a case feeder and set it up for rifle.
- Dave

As in a previous post my recommendation is still the XL 750 - or the RL 1100

Last edited by dronning on 2/25/2020, 8:58 am; edited 2 times in total
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 2/24/2020, 6:57 pm

The MAJOR disadvantage in my book of the 550 press is not only does it not auto advance but also doesn't have a 5th station to use a powder check. I think that makes it a horrible choice for something like 45 bullseye loads that can easily be double charged without even approaching an overfilled case, especially with a reloading newbie. I personally saw a squib followed by a second shot bulging a barrel at a match due to a 550. I recommend a Hornady LNL AP, Dillon SDB or 650 to avoid these issues. You can't use a powder check on a SDB but it at least auto advances.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by rburk 2/24/2020, 9:01 pm

I just started loading recently on a SDB, if you are just loading 45 ACP it works great.  It throws very consistent powder charges with WST.  I also like that it is sized for pistol cartridges, so the handle throw is short. 

I load very carefully, I visually check to make sure powder dropped before placing a bullet to seat.  Being a progressive press helps prevent double charges.  

I am not a high volume shooter yet, but if I need 100 rounds for a match or practice, it cranks them out pretty fast.

Only disadvantage I can see would be if you have big hands/fingers, it is very compact.

rburk

Back to top Go down

Post by bob finger 2/25/2020, 8:49 am

Since the SDB has been mentioned I'll chime in.

I have loaded 45acp on an SDB for several years now and recently purchased a used SDB frame and it now loads 9x19.  I am very happy with them.  However I don't use them as many do.  I deprime on a single stage, then wet wash the brass then prime using an RCBS bench primer. I'm anal and there is no way you can see the primer in the SDB without pulling the case.  I have to be able to see the primer.  Thus my SDB's have no deprime punch nor a primer feed assembly.  Takes a few more steps but I can sit down and load thousands without a hiccup.  I have the InLine Fabrication light on the SDB's so I can visually inspect powder in the case as I place a projectile on it.  I cannot recall EVER having an empty case, but I still look every time.  bob

bob finger

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 2/25/2020, 9:11 am

bob finger wrote:Since the SDB has been mentioned I'll chime in.

I have loaded 45acp on an SDB for several years now and recently purchased a used SDB frame and it now loads 9x19.  I am very happy with them.  However I don't use them as many do.  I deprime on a single stage, then wet wash the brass then prime using an RCBS bench primer. I'm anal and there is no way you can see the primer in the SDB without pulling the case.  I have to be able to see the primer.  Thus my SDB's have no deprime punch nor a primer feed assembly.  Takes a few more steps but I can sit down and load thousands without a hiccup.  I have the InLine Fabrication light on the SDB's so I can visually inspect powder in the case as I place a projectile on it.  I cannot recall EVER having an empty case, but I still look every time.  bob
I've never heard of a progressive press where you can see the seated primer while running it. You should be able to feel the primer being inserted, on my Hornady LNL I can easily feel when I'm out of primers.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by bob finger 2/25/2020, 10:04 am

It has nothing to do with "being out of primers".  What if one is upside down?  What if one is sideways?  What if one sticks in the tube and does not feed? With the SDB you have to stop and fix it, maybe by taking out 3 bolts and removing the priming assembly.  With the RCBS bench priming system that DOES NOT happen.  You can see the primer sitting on the punch before you insert the brass.  You can see the primer is gone after seating same.  Like I mentioned I am anal about priming.  It works for me.   I am very happy with the SDB the way I use it.    bob

bob finger

Back to top Go down

Post by tovaert 2/28/2020, 7:51 am

LenV wrote:Or, what the heck is this? Got it from Grandpa when he died in the 80's. Should I keep, clean or throw?

Best reloading press- opinions please - Page 2 20200218

Best reloading press- opinions please - Page 2 20200219
I'm pretty sure that is a Ponsness Warren P-200. Unique design for a turret-style press. It's like having 5 single-stage presses side-by-side. Good for about 200 (very consistent) rounds/hr (thus "P-200"). They are still in business, though their main sales are shotshell reloaders. I bought mine on Craigslist.

tovaert

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 2/29/2020, 5:49 am

Dillon 1050 fan here.  I've got four 550s and three SDBs.  I enjoy loading on all of them. The 1050 works magic with crimped primer pockets.  I mount each them on a 16 inch long piece of 2x12 and C clamp them to the bench.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 2/29/2020, 6:43 am

I had a lnl for decades. It had a few annoying quirks, but after adding the case feeder the Hornady was downright annoying. I now have a 1050 setup for 45, and 3 650s. Been loving Dillon for the past 5 years now.

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 2/29/2020, 12:05 pm

I think the LNL AP is an amazing progressive press if you want to hand feed the case and bullet. If you want a case and or bullet feeder I would step up to a 650/1050/1100.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by dapduh2 2/29/2020, 6:36 pm

Now You guys have me between the 750 and 1050 now.
dapduh2
dapduh2

Back to top Go down

Post by Blsi2600 3/1/2020, 1:44 am

If you are reloading 45acp only, buy the RL1050.  

If you are going to load other stuff now, buy the 750 first, then when funds allow, buy the RL1050 later.

Blsi2600

Back to top Go down

Post by tovaert 3/1/2020, 9:54 am

Blsi2600 wrote:If you are reloading 45acp only, buy the RL1050.  

If you are going to load other stuff now, buy the 750 first, then when funds allow, buy the RL1050 later.
What does the 1050 (or 1100) offer over the 750 (outfitted with the case feeder)? I'm also looking at a progressive, but I don't see head-to-head comparisons between the Dillon models.

tovaert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next