Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best reloading press- opinions please

+24
Blsi2600
Jwhelan939
Axehandle
tovaert
bob finger
rburk
lyman1903
fc60
chiz1180
bruce martindale
Wobbley
john bickar
zanemoseley
LenV
WesG
blindshooter
PhotoEscape
dronning
JIMPGOV
John Dervis
DA/SA
James Hensler
jglenn21
dapduh2
28 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Best reloading press- opinions please - Page 3 Empty Best reloading press- opinions please

Post by dapduh2 Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:30 pm

First topic message reminder :

So I’m leaving active duty in a few months and going back to being a drilling member of the National Guard. I’ll have much more time to shoot and a convenient place to do so. I’m setting cash aside and would like to dive into reloading probably after the summer. So here’s the question...

If you could buy one press right now what would it be and why. I was looking at a Dillon 650 and for that price point wasn’t sure if there was a better option. Initially loading .45, but eventually 9mm and .38. 

Thanks for any help/ insight.
dapduh2
dapduh2

Back to top Go down

Best reloading press- opinions please - Page 3 Empty Re: Best reloading press- opinions please

Post by dapduh2 Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:02 am

tovaert wrote:
Blsi2600 wrote:If you are reloading 45acp only, buy the RL1050.  

If you are going to load other stuff now, buy the 750 first, then when funds allow, buy the RL1050 later.
What does the 1050 (or 1100) offer over the 750 (outfitted with the case feeder)? I'm also looking at a progressive, but I don't see head-to-head comparisons between the Dillon models.
Same issues I’m running into lol.
dapduh2
dapduh2

Back to top Go down

Best reloading press- opinions please - Page 3 Empty Re: Best reloading press- opinions please

Post by jglenn21 Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:13 am

https://www.dillonprecision.com/reloader-buying-guide.html

jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:38 am

For me the biggest differences are the 1050 has more stations( more stuff can be used..bullet feeder, powder check) and all functions are done on the down stroke.. also.the primer pocket swag function if needed..

That said I love my 750.... i personally have never found the need for the powder check and have been using progressives from the 70s. If you have a problem STOP and see exactly where you are in the cycle. Know what is going to happen next..
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:26 pm

Dapduh2, I have one last question for you. Do you plan on reloading for fun or saving money? It has been my life experience that the more automated the reloading process is the less fun it is. Maybe it's the OCD coming thru, whatever, but I have always enjoyed the reloading process. It is kinda neat taking a fired brass and turning it into a new bullet and lining them up in its tray. I used to spend countless hours of my free time at my hobby and looked forward to it. That sort of explains the supply I have built up over the years. Now with my progressive I can spend a half hour in the gun room and put out a lot of ammo. But it is not as much fun...

Half hour with the Lee
Best reloading press- opinions please - Page 3 20171214
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by dapduh2 Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:33 pm

LenV wrote:Dapduh2, I have one last question for you. Do you plan on reloading for fun or saving money? It has been my life experience that the more automated the reloading process is the less fun it is. Maybe it's the OCD coming thru, whatever, but I have always enjoyed the reloading process. It is kinda neat taking a fired brass and turning it into a new bullet and lining them up in its tray. I used to spend countless hours of my free time at my hobby and looked forward to it. That sort of explains the supply I have built up over the years. Now with my progressive I can spend a half hour in the gun room and put out a lot of ammo. But it is not as much fun...

Half hour with the Lee
Best reloading press- opinions please - Page 3 20171214
Cost savings is a big one but also that cost savings would allow me to shoot more as well. I think I will enjoy it either way, but time with my family is very limited so I can’t stay in the shop reloading all day.
dapduh2
dapduh2

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt711 Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:15 pm

Wobbley wrote:The problem, John, is that Star machines have very sketchy support.  Sure “there’s a guy” supporting some machines now, but no one took over production and sooner or later they’ll be like the old Hollywood turret presses.  Considering there are other options out there...
Support is not a problem with Star. A phone gets you to Star for parts or info. Rarely are parts needed. Keep them clean and lubed as any machine and they will last a lifetime for you...and your son. .45ACP and maybe .38 Spl & 9m later were mentioned. They are offered on e-bay regularly.

Several yrs ago I bought a .38Prog for $200. Bad shape...just dirty! Elbow grease and 3 small springs from the Hardware and a new MainSprg put it in operation. Added a Hulme, made a type of freeloader,  and added an indexer. Sold it & new owner reports he has to lock it or it runs itself.

Ron Habegger

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt711 Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:29 pm

fc60 wrote:Greetings,

Star Machine Works is alive and well in New Jersey.

In the past, I have machined a number of new shell plates and dies for them.

Bruce keeps a good stock of machines. He tears down used ones and completely refinishes them.

Also, let us not forget the CPM Progressive Reloader. (Clyde Precision Machine). These use the 7/8-14 dies and function a lot like the Star. It is bit larger and heavier than the Star.

Cheers,

Dave
Fellows like FC60, and we all know a couple, know their way around a machine shop will keep the Stars around as long as needed.

Dave,
I don't know about the CPM idea. I don't think Bill made more than 50. I believe the original order for bases was for 50 and don't think any more were ordered. Kind of a shame as he had a couple of neat ideas. A few of my fellow shooters had them, 2 still running fine but lost track of any others. 

My best friend used a CPM for yrs and sold Bill's last parts for him. He acquired a Star in an auction for $35 (no one there new what it was) and said the Star & CMP were not comparable. Sold the CPM. Not sure why he had that opinion.

Ron Habegger

Last edited by Colt711 on Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : 3/2/20 Correction: "CMP" to "CPM")

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:41 pm

think you about right for the total number of CPMs made.. not many at all. Believe I got mine through Paul Jones but that's been a while.

Best reloading press- opinions please - Page 3 Cpm10
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt711 Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:51 pm

Speed or the number of rounds loaded are mentioned a couple of times here. For that search "YouTube" for something like automated progressive .45 or something like that. A short video showing a powered progessive running!

Ron Habegger

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:14 pm

jglenn21 wrote:think you about right for the total number of CPMs made.. not many at all. Believe I got mine through Paul Jones but that's been a while.

Greetings Jimmy,

Yours is a nice shade of green. Mine is a tan/beige color.

Somewhere I had the original sales brochure.

I thought of machining shell plates for them. Much like a Star in approach. Only difference is the diameter of the plate. A slice, or two, of A-10 tool steel would be a possible setback financially.

The case feeder mechanism was original. I do not believe Hulme had any part in it. Although, it functions in the same manner.

I should set mine up for nostalgia purposes.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Best reloading press- opinions please - Page 3 Empty This Video Says It All!

Post by CraigB5940 Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:45 pm

I just found this video today and decided a Hornady LNL AP is the way to go-Rosie the reloader told me to buy it and how could anyone say no after watching this video! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEiJmmqwq-s
What a Face What a Face What a Face What a Face What a Face What a Face What a Face What a Face What a Face What a Face alien alien
I can't believe they think they have to pander to us by using sex to sell good reloading gear-they are copying the Dillon strategy!

Actually, I bought one 10 years ago and it's been good, I reload 32 ACP, 32 S&W Long, 9MM , 38 Special and 45 ACP. Only complaint is that the case feeder does not work well with 32 ACP and I hand feed those cases.

CraigB5940

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:08 pm

Kind of interesting that they choose someone with a strong English accent to present a USA product. England's gun laws mean that very few people now own rifles (zero handguns) and I guess that the metallic reloading market there must be minimal.

I could be sexist and suggest that she might be an Essex girl, but I think that south Midlands is more likely!

Back to top Go down

Post by CrashClint Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:22 pm

I have been using a Dillon 550 for the past 27 years for .45 acp. I must say of late I have been thinking of upgrading. I have been looking at used XL650 but may wait until my Christmas Bonus and buy a 750 or an RL1050.
CrashClint
CrashClint

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Lorenz Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:15 pm

CraigB5940 wrote:
Actually, I bought one 10 years ago and it's been good, I reload 32 ACP, 32 S&W Long, 9MM , 38 Special and 45 ACP. Only complaint is that the case feeder does not work well with 32 ACP and I hand feed those cases.
Hi Craig,
I made a case feeder adapter for my .32acp Star that works great. 
I could give Dave a drawing if you wanted him to make you one (if he wants of course).
Wes

Wes Lorenz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3