Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Loading Non-jacketed Projectile Question

4 posters

Go down

Loading Non-jacketed Projectile Question Empty Loading Non-jacketed Projectile Question

Post by aub1957 Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:46 am

I purchased a few boxes of Magnus 811 projectiles. I have a few other styles on the way as well. I wanted some more affordable options for practice in my .45 RO.

I have always loaded jacketed projectiles for rifle for years now. I loaded my first .45s a few months ago. I have been using a Zero 185 jacketed hollow point with 4.5 grains of BE powder in mixed brass.

Is there anything different that I need to do with loading non-jacketed projectiles, or do I just load them up like any jacketed projectile?

Any recipe suggestions with the Magnus 811?

I have some Clays and WST powder on order, but it will be a while before it shows up.

I appreciate any tips and suggestions!

aub1957

Back to top Go down

Loading Non-jacketed Projectile Question Empty Re: Loading Non-jacketed Projectile Question

Post by Aprilian Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:00 am

I load the 811s with N310, if you have any of that around.  I found that my barrel stays cleaner with a little extra lube on the softer swaged projectiles, so I tumble mine with some 45/45/10.

Terry sells an excellent bullet.
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Loading Non-jacketed Projectile Question Empty Re: Loading Non-jacketed Projectile Question

Post by chiz1180 Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:08 am

You should be able to decrease powder charge with a soft swaged bullet, probably anywhere from 3.6-4.2 grains of bullseye should work, just depends on the gun.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsalt444 Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:55 am

I've been using 3.8 gr. of WST with that bullet with excellent results.  Might require a lighter spring though, depending on the gun.
oldsalt444
oldsalt444

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down