Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lenthening a barrel on .22 pistol

5 posters

Go down

Lenthening a barrel on  .22 pistol Empty Lenthening a barrel on .22 pistol

Post by hammerli 7/3/2020, 3:20 am

I have been thinking about using my Hammerli 207 for shooting free pistol. I think I will fit a set of wrap around grips and maybe get a longer barrel for the sight radius. I also have a pistol in .22 short with a very light trigger and this one may be ideal for Free Pistol.
One thought was to fit a longer barrel chambered for .22 lr.

Now I am thinking of screwing a tube of  5 inches in . 22  to the threaded barrel then boring out the entire length of extension and original barrel and lining it with a 12 inch barrel liner.
Hopefully I have an accurate .22 lr cal barrel and the original barrel helps to retain the recoil spring below.

Any thoughts on this crazy idea welcome.

hammerli

Back to top Go down

Lenthening a barrel on  .22 pistol Empty Re: Lenthening a barrel on .22 pistol

Post by Jon Eulette 7/3/2020, 4:23 am

Longer barrels are harder to shoot well due to radial velocity. Back in the early 90's a Natl Guard shooter named Jerry Dobson shot a Toz with a custom 6" barrel and a long extended front sight. He shot very good with the set up. I would go that route myself personally.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton 7/3/2020, 6:26 am

I would simply Ransom Rest that pistol so you will see that a new barrel is probably not needed, just more practice.

Unless you shoot 1.5” or less groups @50 yds/meters or that barrel has a defect, there is little chance you can outshoot it as is.  Of my three vintage Hammerlis, the worst one shot 1.25” groups @50 yds with crappy CCI.

Sometimes a Ransom rest test exposes what needs correcting on the pistol, but most of the time you find out the shooter needs more work than pistol, but nobody wants to hear that!

Then again, if you are just out to have some fun and play with tools, then go for it.

Jon’s idea on sight extension as a starting point is a good one.
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR 7/3/2020, 6:39 am

Buy yourself a TOZ. Put your creative efforts into making yourself a grip. You’ll have a great Free Pistol and your Hammerli will be saved!
JKR

JKR

WesG and hammerli like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Lorenz 7/3/2020, 10:57 am

hammerli wrote:I have been thinking about using my Hammerli 207 for shooting free pistol. 
Any thoughts on this crazy idea welcome.
Why not try your 207(Cool and see how you do? I used to shoot my GSP in the free pistol sectionals and one year shot a 548.
It helped in the standard pistol match.

Wes Lorenz

Jon Eulette and hammerli like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down