Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What’s best way to remove Loctite from exterior of pistol?

+14
PhotoEscape
messenger
CR10X
Greg Walloch
Kp321
jglenn21
kc.crawford.7
Tim:H11
john bickar
WesG
10sandxs
dapduh2
bruce martindale
Jon Eulette
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What’s best way to remove Loctite from exterior of pistol? Empty What’s best way to remove Loctite from exterior of pistol?

Post by Jon Eulette Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:02 pm

Is there a magic trick to removing Loctite from pistol without removing bluing, etc? Hopefully chemical requiring little elbow grease, mine have no grease left from checkering pistols lol.
Jon

Last edited by Jon Eulette on Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

What’s best way to remove Loctite from exterior of pistol? Empty Re: What’s best way to remove Loctite from exterior of pistol?

Post by bruce martindale Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:07 pm

Not sure but have you tried Goof Off?

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

What’s best way to remove Loctite from exterior of pistol? Empty Re: What’s best way to remove Loctite from exterior of pistol?

Post by dapduh2 Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:13 pm

https://bsi-inc.com/hobby/un_cure.html

Photoescape told me about this recently. Haven’t tried it thought. Worth a look.
dapduh2
dapduh2

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:27 pm

"CA" I'm guessing is cyanoacrylate, aka superglue.  Loctite is a little different chemistry, but might be similar enough to work.  The last loctite I removed was with a dulled dental pick, some steel wool, a magnifier and a lot of patience...

Might also try MEK (methyl ethyl keytone) if you can find any... model shops might still have it. Carbon tetrachloride mght work as well.

Last edited by 10sandxs on Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:31 pm

dapduh2 wrote:https://bsi-inc.com/hobby/un_cure.html

Photoescape told me about this recently. Haven’t tried it thought. Worth a look.
Thanks!
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:37 pm

The last I saw from Loctite, there is nothing that will dissolve it. I'm sure they'd have it for sale if there were.

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:37 pm

What’s best way to remove Loctite from exterior of pistol? WAT
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:37 pm

I’m just spit balling here - I’ve never tried it but what about some heat? Could heat soften it enough to remove?

Multiracer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kc.crawford.7 Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:29 am

Acetone?
kc.crawford.7
kc.crawford.7

http://www.kcskustomcreations.com

knightimac likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:10 am

Locktite Chisel is their removal product..  Methylene Chloride is the main ingredient. Having good fingernails helps too Smile

Acetone or lacquer thinner also.will soften it. Then 0000 steel wool or your fingernail
jglenn21
jglenn21

Multiracer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:33 am

Thanks everybody! Got some things to try.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Kp321 Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:04 am

Acetone and bronze wool, not steel wool.

Kp321

Back to top Go down

Post by Greg Walloch Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:37 am

5-Day soak in salt water, followed by heavy use of a 40 grit belt sander.  I’m here to help.  You can call me.

Greg Walloch

Al, john bickar, WesG and Motophotog7 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:49 pm

Thanks for the method Greg I just took your Clark long slide 45 and caked-on some red Loctite and dried it with a blow dryer to get it nice and hard. I didn't do the salt bath until after I belt sanded it. The salt bath turned into a beautiful red brown hue. I think you're going to love it, because now it looks like a ventilated rib underneath the scope rail kind of like a python. No extra charge buddy!
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Al, john bickar, 1joel1, KBarth and Motophotog7 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:05 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:Thanks for the method Greg I just took your Clark long slide 45 and caked-on some red Loctite and dried it with a blow dryer to get it nice and hard. I didn't do the salt bath until after I belt sanded it. The salt bath turned into a beautiful red brown hue. I think you're going to love it, because now it looks like a ventilated rib underneath the scope rail kind of like a python. No extra charge buddy!
Jon

Now THAT'S service above and beyond what you pay for!
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:13 pm

Alternate liberal application of brake cleaner and heating with blow dryer (don't have any other use for it anyway now Sad ).  But make sure the brake cleaner is completely dry / removed before applying heat!  Still had to pick away at it a lot.

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Greg Walloch Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:56 pm

Jon,

Thank you!!!  I appreciate the extra attention to detail.

Greg

Greg Walloch

john bickar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:00 pm

CR10X wrote:... blow dryer (don't have any other use for it anyway now Sad

We need to get you a dog!
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:10 pm

Got one.  Wife likes him better.  He sits, stays, doesn't drink as much bourbon and doesn't talk back.....

CR10X

john bickar, troystaten and Motophotog7 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:14 pm

When I needed to remove dried paint from leather without hurting the leather I have always used high speed enamel reducer. Just a thought.

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:32 pm

CR10X wrote:Got one.  Wife likes him better.  He sits, stays, doesn't drink as much bourbon and doesn't talk back.....
It is just an acclimation period.  Make sure you have dog house big enough for two, - inevitable you both will end up there for unrelated reasons but at the same time!
AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 1joel1 Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:52 pm

For blue or red Loctite, heat is the answer. Much experience from building engines Sad
Joel

1joel1

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:56 pm

Greetings,

Telephone the LocTite help desk.

They were most helpful when I needed guidance.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:07 pm

Heat, toothpick and time.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:10 pm

Maybe one of these ideas from Loctite will help?
https://www.loctiteproducts.com/en/know-how/fix-stuff/remove-adhesives.html
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next