Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CMP Rule book updates 2021

+10
bmize1
Outthere
mikemargolis
Slartybartfast
james r chapman
Oleg G
jscot111
xman
Jack H
chiz1180
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

CMP Rule book updates 2021 - Page 2 Empty CMP Rule book updates 2021

Post by chiz1180 Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:44 pm

First topic message reminder :

The CMP made updates to the rule books for 2021, worth looking over.

https://thecmp.org/competitions/cmp-competitions-rulebooks/?fbclid=IwAR22UGQ9bWt-SWIT6puvWG4boyMDppy1dXPW26Nrb7HrYVHRfSXg2x96auA
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

CMP Rule book updates 2021 - Page 2 Empty Re: CMP Rule book updates 2021

Post by Slamfire Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:10 am

xman wrote:https://thecmp.org/2020-cmp-competition-rulebooks-are-now-official/

This is an older post by CMP that explained what happened and what their reasoning but it doesn’t quite track with the way they are making dual glass protection. For specific item is about halfway down the article and it was a high power rifle catastrophic failure and I might add the shooter was wearing eye protection of HIS choice and had no injury according to the story.

No one should ever shoot a firearm and not wear eye protection that does not protect both eyes

I tried to find an account of a Garand slamfiring out of battery at the CMP. A fellow shooter told me he was shooting at a CMP Talladega rifle event, may have been a Garand match, or a Talladega 600, and the head of the Garand Collector's Society had an out of battery slamfire that destroyed his rifle.  My Bud told me he saw the disassembled rifle, and that the account was written up in a Garand Collector issue. I am still looking to find out the particulars.

But, these are accounts of M1 Garands that have blown up. The first is an out of battery slamfire event with factory ammunition. These things happen in this mechanism as the free floating firing pin is tapping the primer before in battery engagement of the lugs, and after inbattery engagement of the lugs. The only thing preventing an in battery, or out of battery slamfire, in these mechanisms, is primer insensitivity.

M1 Garand blew up in my face. x/post From r/guns
https://www.reddit.com/r/M1Rifles/comments/8d6e7j/m1_garand_blew_up_in_my_face_xpost_from_rguns/

This interesting video is a case head rupture with Russian Tula repackaged ammunition.

Why my M1 Garand Blew up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TleMPyDq56s

I have heard of bolts blowing out of M1 carbines, Garands and M14's, and now that I have heard enough accounts, I want to say I believe it is real.  Our last WW2 veteran, a competitive rifle shooter, had the bolt come out of his Garand during a 300 yard rapid fire event. Luckily neither he or the rifle was damaged. I have that rifle. It does not have the original bolt, the Armorer on the line replaced the blown bolt with a new bolt, but neither the shooter, nor the Armorer, understood why the first bolt came out, as it was not damaged.  Recently talked to a Bullseye shooter who was a USMC during Vietnam. He personally saw two fellow Marines, and the destroyed rifles they were shooting. The M14's  these Marines were shooting blew up, blew their bolts out and these bolts hit the shooters in the head. One Marine lost his eye, the other was "hurt badly" (had to go to the hospital) when he was hit in the face with his rifle's blown bolt.

Recently I had a case head blow on my RIA 1911, and I think the most likely cause was a bullet shoved in the case during feed. The event blew the base of my Mec-Gar magazine out, put a permanent set in the magazine spring, (also blown out), cracked the grips of the pistol. I had a beautiful set of coco bolo on the pistol. And something hit my chin and left a bruise. That hurt for a week. The only damage the pistol suffered was the cracked grips, and after field stripping the thing, wiping it down, and re oiling, I continued shooting. To fix this, I installed an EGW higher hold magazine release. I think the magazine release was holding magazines too low and the bullet was being jammed in the case on the feed ramp. To date, I have fired a couple of ammunition cans through that pistol, and I finished the kaboom loads in that pistol, and so far, knock on wood, no more kabooms.

But, when these things happen, they happen faster than your blink reflex. And, it happens to your whole face.

Ammunition is not perfect, guns are not perfect, you can do everything right, and still have a firearm blow up right in front of your face. You might as well wear glasses that protect both eyes.

Slamfire

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2