Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are there bullseye leagues in PA?

5 posters

Go down

Are there bullseye leagues in PA? Empty Are there bullseye leagues in PA?

Post by CO1Mtn Wed 27 Jan 2021, 10:30 am

Can you please tell me if there is a website to find out if there are any bullseye leagues near Williamsport, PA? That's where I live now. Thank you in advance for your time.

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Are there bullseye leagues in PA? Empty Re: Are there bullseye leagues in PA?

Post by TomH_pa Wed 27 Jan 2021, 11:27 am

Under normal conditions there is a league around the Harrisburg area.
Not sure these days who is shooting and who isn't. NJpistol.com has listing for many of the Pa. matches.
I think the Harrisburg Hunters and Anglers web site has info on the William Penn winter league.

Also Lewistown (Pa.) Pistol club holds several Bullseye matches during the summer months. They have an indoor range but I don't know if they have a league.

TomH_pa

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G Wed 27 Jan 2021, 5:11 pm

Here is the link to the William Penn Pistol League. From there you can find information on about 10 teams. Some of them should be within reasonable distance from you.

https://wppl.us/
Oleg G
Oleg G

dieselguy624 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Jan 2021, 6:35 pm

http://www.njpistol.net/signup/show_league_contact_list.asp

Just under the map, click [size=16]here for PA league map![/size]

Back to top Go down

Post by "plq" Wed 27 Jan 2021, 8:24 pm

another list - not sure how current their info is - https://starreloaders.com/edhall/bevenues.html

Also there's been a match in Wilkes Barre @ WBRP - https://www.wbrp.net/
It's not currently on their calendar, but that may be due to COVID. I'd contact them to check the status.

"plq"

Back to top Go down

Post by CO1Mtn Sun 31 Jan 2021, 6:05 pm

Thanks for the info!

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Post by djhoran Sun 31 Jan 2021, 6:21 pm

The closest club to Williamsport in the WPPL would be Harrisburg Hunters & Anglers. This season we have been shooting all of our matches at home with the 2 Harrisburg teams. The scores are put against the team we were each scheduled to go against, sort of like a postal match. Matches are Wednesday with the first relay starting around 6 pm and the second relay around 7 pm. Anyone can show up, pay your $5, and shoot for one of the 2 teams at the range. Attendance is down around 25% this year due to Covid. It is a very nice group of shooters.

djhoran

Back to top Go down

Post by CO1Mtn Mon 08 Feb 2021, 9:03 pm

Does anyone here live in north-central Pennsylvania? I get tired of shooting alone all the time. Iron sharpens iron.

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Post by djhoran Mon 08 Feb 2021, 10:11 pm

There used to be a small league that shot in Lewisburg and Shamokin, I believe. There may have been other clubs as well. It is my understanding that the league became financially unsustainable due to the low number of participants. They failed to bring in enough income to pay for insurance and NRA club dues.

djhoran

Back to top Go down

Post by CO1Mtn Tue 09 Feb 2021, 8:01 pm

I think bullseye should be a much bigger sport than it is. It is quite exciting for me, and I don't understand why there aren't a hundred times as many participants as there are. Everyone has different hobbies, I suppose. Was the sport much bigger in decades past?

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Post by djhoran Tue 09 Feb 2021, 10:58 pm

Yes, a long, long time ago bullseye was very popular. I don't know the exact time period when it peaked but I'm guessing it was close to 50 years ago. During this same time period bullseye enjoyed a serious lack of competition for shooter's attention. Then along came more "action" shooting sports. This happened for shotgun and rifle shooting as well. PPC (Police Pistol Combat) and bowling "Pin" shoots came on the scene followed by IDPA, IPSC, USPSA, SCSA and others. The new disciplines don't appeal to everyone but they are more appealing than bullseye to most modern shooters. The equipment race, while still present, isn't such a big factor when you are trying to hit a 8" steel plate at 12 yards. Shooting a 45 that yields 6" patterns at 25 yards in a bullseye match quickly seems like a waste of ammo. That $500 1911 just isn't gonna cut it for bullseye and few will get to the point where they feel wise in laying out $2K for a capable bullseye gun. By contrast, a $500 gun is perfectly fine for many of the other games that don't require the high level of precision equipment. 
     Another difference is the amount of laughter heard at the different kinds of matches. Bullseye is a pretty serious discipline. Action type events have a lot more cheering, ribbing, and generally more jovial interaction during the match. Shooters at all kinds of events are friendly and willing to help or offer advice but the more casual atmosphere found at action matches may be more appealing to new participants.

djhoran

Back to top Go down

Post by CO1Mtn Thu 11 Feb 2021, 11:00 pm

IPSC does not appeal to me. It might not be a bad game, but it's not my cup of tea.

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down