Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please give me your opinion on the Ruger 22/45 as a bullseye pistol

+16
jm7480
Jon Eulette
Jack H
Gary Collette
Nightshift82
Foundryratjim
Texasref
Allgoodhits
rich.tullo
SonOfAGun
Olde Pilot
aub1957
Al
cdrt
James Hensler
CO1Mtn
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Please give me your opinion on the Ruger 22/45 as a bullseye pistol - Page 2 Empty Please give me your opinion on the Ruger 22/45 as a bullseye pistol

Post by CO1Mtn Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:18 am

First topic message reminder :

If you have time, please give me your opinion on this pistol.

I'm specifically looking at this model:

https://ruger.com/products/markIV2245/specSheets/40107.html

This is the 22/45, with a 5.5" barrel and 8" sight radius. One drawback is that it has a polymer frame.

I would install this accurizing kit:

https://volquartsen.com/products/1139-pistol-competition-kit

CO1Mtn

Workinman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Please give me your opinion on the Ruger 22/45 as a bullseye pistol - Page 2 Empty Re: Please give me your opinion on the Ruger 22/45 as a bullseye pistol

Post by Guest Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:30 pm

Having extolled the virtues of my 22/45 Mk IV (at the suggestion of my mentor) I took it to the range yesterday intending to use it to practice 1911 style trigger and grip, but shooting the least valuable ammo I've got. The gun was fine just a few days ago when I dry fired it. Something had broken inside, trigger not cocking, unable to move safety up to safe position and therefore not able to strip the barrel from the frame. Frozen.

Called Ruger and it is already with FEDEX.

Ho hum.

Back to top Go down

Please give me your opinion on the Ruger 22/45 as a bullseye pistol - Page 2 Empty Re: Please give me your opinion on the Ruger 22/45 as a bullseye pistol

Post by Jon Eulette Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:44 pm

radjag wrote:Having extolled the virtues of my 22/45 Mk IV (at the suggestion of my mentor) I took it to the range yesterday intending to use it to practice 1911 style trigger and grip, but shooting the least valuable ammo I've got. The gun was fine just a few days ago when I dry fired it. Something had broken inside, trigger not cocking, unable to move safety up to safe position and therefore not able to strip the barrel from the frame. Frozen.

Called Ruger and it is already with FEDEX.

Ho hum.
I hope you didn’t send it with custom parts in it; even stock altered parts(trigger job).
Ruger will replace them all with stock parts. Had this happen many moons ago.
Keep us posted.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:49 pm

No. When I first got it I had a guy do an inexpensive trigger job, just smoothed it out a bit. Then there was a Ruger safety recall and, as you say, Ruger stripped out anything that was not OEM. When I got it back I decided not to have anything done to it, just use it as a spare for beginners or whatever. Then Roddy suggested that it might help me to train with a rough, slightly heavy trigger, so I took it to the range.

Ho hum!

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:22 am

Ruger returns the aftermarket parts, when they do this. They do stand behind it. At least one shooter I know liked the trigger and kept his as stock, and had no further alibi issues.
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by Bren Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:48 am

-TT- wrote:Ruger returns the aftermarket parts, when they do this. They do stand behind it. At least one shooter I know liked the trigger and kept his as stock, and had no further alibi issues.
My only alibis with my Ruger have been when I try to adjust the pretravel and overtravel screws in the Volquartsen trigger and go too far. Now I just leave them loose and don't worry about it.
Bren
Bren

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 04, 2021 11:52 pm

I bought my 22/45 Mark IV in 2017 for $235. Immediately had to send it back to Ruger because of a Safety Recall. Have hardly shot it since, then a few weeks ago when I did try to shoot it had a problem - back to Ruger (at no cost to me) and they very quickly fixed and returned it. VERY good service.

It is now box stock with the only additions being a Ruger scope rail and a SIG Romeo 5 red dot.

Anyone who questions whether a Ruger 22/45 is suitable for Bullseye might care to take a look at this NMC I shot this afternoon. Using CCI MiniMag HV ammo (because it is relatively available and reasonably priced). All offhand at 25 yards, outdoor. I shot the SF target at a brisk pace because I am currently using this gun for "Chicken Finger" drills. The TF/RF were shot at regulation pace.
[url=https://servimg.com/view/20051226/642][img]https://i.servimg.com/u/f70/20/05/12/26/04may213.jpg[/img][/url]
This NMC is High Master level (22AGG was 869, just a bit short). And, annoyingly, is better than some recent rounds I've shot with my very expensive Pardini!

This is with the OEM trigger, no work whatsoever has been done on the gun. The trigger is heavy and creepy - just what I need to help to overcome my Chicken Finger problem.

Nothing wrong with a Ruger and, with a little work on the trigger, would certainly be capable of HM scores in the right hands. QED.
Attachments
Please give me your opinion on the Ruger 22/45 as a bullseye pistol - Page 2 Download?action=showthumb&id=3493
04May21 22NMC Ruger.jpg (50 Kb) Downloaded 33 times

Last edited by radjag on Wed May 05, 2021 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixed photo)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2