Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Micro Red Dot mounting to .22 with RTV Silicone

3 posters

Go down

Micro Red Dot mounting to .22 with RTV Silicone Empty Micro Red Dot mounting to .22 with RTV Silicone

Post by mhayford45 7/3/2021, 3:23 pm

I am considering mounting a Holosun 403R without the base to a .22, not the moving slide but nonmoving barrel with RTV Silicone. This would reduce weight and place the Red Dot lower than with the base and mounting rail. 

Has anyone tried this? did it work?  what did you think? 

Many Silicone RTVs achieve about 5 Mpa of sheer strength and this would seem like enough to keep it in place if sealed to the barrel or frame.

mhayford45

Back to top Go down

Micro Red Dot mounting to .22 with RTV Silicone Empty Re: Micro Red Dot mounting to .22 with RTV Silicone

Post by -TT- 7/4/2021, 7:36 am

I tried something similar for mounting a Scatt or Mantis, attempting to attach a small rail with green Loctite 648 retaining compound. It worked pretty well for a week or two, but of course it did let go. Any kind of leverage from above will inevitably open a crack in the bond, and gun oils will finish it off.

Maybe JBWeld or something would work better, but is it worth it? You don't want it falling off, ever.
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Micro Red Dot mounting to .22 with RTV Silicone Empty Re: Micro Red Dot mounting to .22 with RTV Silicone

Post by Kp321 7/4/2021, 8:55 am

Loctite Black Max is the answer!  I use it for sight ramps, shotgun ribs, 1911 ejectors, and 1911 plunger tubes. No failures yet.

Kp321

Back to top Go down

Post by mhayford45 7/7/2021, 6:28 am

Thank you for the replies. The Locite looks interesting.

mhayford45

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down