Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it appropriate to ask here about a gunbroker gun?

+3
james r chapman
Jon Eulette
RodJ
7 posters

Go down

Is it appropriate to ask here about a gunbroker gun? Empty Is it appropriate to ask here about a gunbroker gun?

Post by RodJ 8/19/2021, 2:48 pm

Mostly trying to learn about the BE modified 1911s and there’s one on GB that seems to be one built by / for AMU. Price seems a bit high for a refinished gun but I’m nobody when it comes to these things. 

Thanks!

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Is it appropriate to ask here about a gunbroker gun? Empty Re: Is it appropriate to ask here about a gunbroker gun?

Post by Jon Eulette 8/19/2021, 2:51 pm

Ask away. Provide link if possible 
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Is it appropriate to ask here about a gunbroker gun? Empty Re: Is it appropriate to ask here about a gunbroker gun?

Post by james r chapman 8/19/2021, 3:10 pm

What Jon said.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 8/19/2021, 4:07 pm

Here it is. Sort of fascinating history (to me at least!). Open for another couple hours.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/901564133

RodJ

swissyhawk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 8/19/2021, 4:23 pm

Interesting, doesn’t look like the ejection port has been lowered like most BE guns.
And what’s with the ambi safety?
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 8/19/2021, 4:30 pm

The ambi was definitely weird.  In the second match I shot , just last Sunday, couple old salts mentioned never using the safety after one poor competitor had an alibi and  when he went to re-fire the RF string  he choked because  his safety on.

That had to hurt. A lot.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 8/19/2021, 4:33 pm

If I made a guess, it wasn’t built by an AMU armorer. Most of the work looks copycatish and amateur in my opinion. That pistol looks like a truck gun that got a poor mans blue job. I recommend you keep on looking.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

joy2shoot likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b 8/19/2021, 4:41 pm

RodJ wrote:The ambi was definitely weird.  In the second match I shot , just last Sunday, couple old salts mentioned never using the safety after one poor competitor had an alibi and  when he went to re-fire the RF string  he choked because  his safety on.

That had to hurt. A lot.
I know I have never used the safety on any of my Bullseye guns and I am not sure I know anyone who has.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 8/19/2021, 4:46 pm

Gun could be a shooter, or it could have issues. Provenance of a gun like this is hard to determine as it could have been built up originally by someone and changed up later on.  

Price seems to bit on higher side. Without handling and shooting the gun to be sure, it is a bit of a gamble. I know they have been discontinued, but a RO would be a safer bet and less money.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 8/19/2021, 5:14 pm

That’s how i feel about this one. Mostly curiosity. There was another BE gun for sale that had grip stippling like a Giles gun, but no Giles name on the gun.

To your point on the RO, I caved to my inner “Id” a week ago when a new in box RO showed up for sale at $750 out the door. Small dealer who had ordered it in spring 2020 to stock in his shop, and just finally got it… lucky me.

RodJ

Multiracer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 8/19/2021, 5:25 pm

Giles name is typically only on his sight rails or his rear wagon wheel rear sight stands out. He did not put his name on his pistols. I’ve never seen it anyhow. But his work is recognizable if you know what to look for.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

ric1911a1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 8/19/2021, 5:42 pm

Apparently still for sale. And Jon, I think that I mis-named the gunsmith that does the odd stippling. And this doesn’t have what I think rear sight wagon wheels would look like.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/903675312

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 8/19/2021, 5:55 pm

That is a Colt National Match lower with the wrong slide on it. An unmarked barrel and Bomar rib. The tigertooth stippling was not done by Clark, it’s too heavy handed.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 8/20/2021, 9:47 am

RodJ wrote:Apparently still for sale. And Jon, I think that I mis-named the gunsmith that does the odd stippling.  And this doesn’t have what I think rear sight wagon wheels would look like.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/903675312
If Clark did this work, there would be his name and date engraved at the underside of the slide on the firing pin channel. If you want this for a match gun, it is a pig in a poke, with no function test or accuracy test. You might do better by waiting for someone on here to sell one of their bullseye accurized pistols. I have a couple of Clarks. Here are some images: Is it appropriate to ask here about a gunbroker gun? IFsHLd6
Is it appropriate to ask here about a gunbroker gun? Cg4ieZN
Is it appropriate to ask here about a gunbroker gun? MzOxLZ9
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 8/20/2021, 10:45 am

I agree with BE Mike.  An older BE gun like this is a pig in a poke.  Even if done by a “Name” gunsmith back then.  Bullseye guns either get shot a LOT or shot for a season or two then get put away.  I think this is one of the latter.  

I agree with Jon that this is likely NOT a Clark.  It may shoot just fine, but there’s no way to tell.  Even back then how to make a 1911 shoot well was no real secret.  But at $1500, it’s a bit stiff for what it is.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 8/20/2021, 11:41 am

I’ve got no real interest in buying it. It was such a curious looking gun with no idea who did the work. Interesting to read comments and window shop. After two 22 rimfire 900 matches, I’ve decided that the advice I’ve gotten and read is working. Second match was a lot better. And I’ve decided I like looking at 10’s and X’s. Especially if there’s multiple ones on the target.

Going to try shooting the course on my own with the RO and an old Gold Cup. Which brings up a different topic / problem that I’ll try to deal with and may seek advice on. At some point one of the two 1911’s will go off to a smith. Lucky me!

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 8/20/2021, 1:27 pm

Neither will probably keep you from expert.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 8/20/2021, 5:28 pm

Thanks James! I like your attitude - yes I can go from unclassified (unqualified?) to Expert.

It’s funny and really another topic, but getting some 10s and Xs, sometimes several on the same target last weekend was a mindset game changer. All I need to do now is to shoot all the shots the way i shot the Xs… 270 times in a row! Why waste a shot into the 5 ring when it can be a 10?

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 8/20/2021, 7:17 pm

RodJ wrote:Thanks James!  I like your attitude - yes I can go from unclassified (unqualified?) to Expert.

It’s funny and really another topic, but getting some 10s and Xs, sometimes several on the same target last weekend was a mindset game changer. All I need to do now is to shoot all the shots the way i shot the Xs… 270 times in a row!  Why waste a shot into the 5 ring when it can be a 10?
I made expert with a gun and ammo combination that grouped about 3.5" at 50 (put the gun in a ransom rest after with the same load). 2/3rds of a match is at 25. While Equipment is important, attitude and mindset is far more important. Not all good shots are 10s or x's. 

Jumping back to your initial inquiry, if you are looking to purchase a used wadgun, shoot matches and make it known you are looking for one. Chances are someone at a match knows of one that is for sale, and in many cases you probably could shoot it before you buy. In my personal experience, with my first wadgun I was also told the load that it shot well when I bought it too.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 8/21/2021, 8:55 am

Thanks, chiz. I’m going to wait a bit I think.  Like I said above, window shopping is fun. My local club has 2700 matches once per month and I’m starting to get to know a couple of them. I’m going to put some more rounds under my belt and take my time, but that’s a really good thought.  Thanks again!

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down