Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DAMN IT GUYS STOP HELPING THE SCAMMERS

+14
straybrit
CO1Mtn
joy2shoot
Wobbley
james r chapman
BE Mike
RoyDean
john bickar
Black_Talon
zanemoseley
LenV
oxbowbob
SingleActionAndrew
willnewton
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

DAMN IT GUYS STOP HELPING THE SCAMMERS - Page 2 Empty DAMN IT GUYS STOP HELPING THE SCAMMERS

Post by willnewton 9/8/2021, 6:35 am

First topic message reminder :

If you have a scammer contact you, then tell an admin ASAP.

Do not ignore them, do not forget about it, do not worry about it later., do not turn it into someone else’s problem.

We post up something about scammers and then immediately folks follow up with “That guy tried to scam me too!”  Who knows how many other folks have not posted about it.

Why the hell did you decide to HELP THE SCAMMER by not reporting them BUT NOT HELP ANYONE ELSE by reporting the scammer to an admin? You don’t have to make a thread about it, just send us a message and it gets dealt with discreetly.  

STOP STAYING SILENT.  Do you know we get almost zero help from the people that have scammers contact them? For some reason they just feel that the problem went away for them, so it is not their problem any more.

GROW UP PEOPLE.  This is not tattle-tales in kindergarten.  People are stealing from you and your friends, but you don’t care enough about them to help?

Since YOU keep quiet, we have watched them multiply here like cockroaches.  This was almost never a problem, now it is 90% of my job.

I am mad as hell about this.  I cannot believe you folks would stand by while these people try to ruin this forum.

It’s like someone try to rob your house.  They don’t succeed and break in next door.  Do you just stand there and watch the robbery while saying to yourself, “I sure took care of that guy.”

BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

You want to be ”the good guy with a gun”, but not “the good guy with a keyboard”?  There is not a large enough eye rolling emoji on this forum.
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Al, straybrit, kc.crawford.7, spursnguns, joy2shoot, oxbowbob, TonyH and like this post

Back to top Go down

DAMN IT GUYS STOP HELPING THE SCAMMERS - Page 2 Empty Re: DAMN IT GUYS STOP HELPING THE SCAMMERS

Post by Founder 10/1/2021, 9:14 am

Thank you for sharing that.

So far all of the scam attempts we have had lately involved a new user claiming to know of an item you want and offering a phone number to text.

For each of the scammers we have banned, none have complained that we banned them incorrectly. 

Thank you and the other users for reporting suspicious solicitations like this.
Founder
Founder

https://www.bullseyeforum.net

Back to top Go down

DAMN IT GUYS STOP HELPING THE SCAMMERS - Page 2 Empty Re: DAMN IT GUYS STOP HELPING THE SCAMMERS

Post by flyer898 10/1/2021, 9:24 am

Wobbley wrote:Since you’re a retire prosecutor, do you know if this is ever prosecuted?  I know mail fraud is prosecuted, but there doesn’t seem to be much prosecution of internet scams.
l prosecuted this kind of case agressively and sent more than a few scammers to state prison. However, many scammers are in other counties (on other continents) and effectively beyond the reach of law enforcement in this country.
I turned several cases where the scammer was not in the U.S. over to the FBI, but nothing ever came of those cases.

flyer898

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA 10/1/2021, 9:47 am

I was scammed on eBay once for $25.00. I had mailed a check and the guy had deposited it into an account. Communication with eBay said that he had committed numerous incidents and was banned. I reported it to the FBI Fraud Department via their web site thinking that nothing would become of it. I got a phone call from an FBI agent stating that I wasn't the only victim asking for a copy of the check which I sent to him. A year or so later I got a letter stating that the guy was sentenced to five years in prison for charges including mail fraud since the check came to him via USPS.

I was quite surprised to see all of that happen!
DA/SA
DA/SA

flyer898 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 10/1/2021, 10:23 am

The threat of mail fraud is the best part about sending a MO/check to pay for something.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA 10/1/2021, 1:32 pm

Post count doesn't show up in PM's, so it's not always the first clue that something isn't right when someone offers something.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder 10/1/2021, 2:27 pm

Using the "memberlist" function will allow you to see all sorts of statistics about a user including join date and number of posts.

No matter what, ANY unsolicited contact that says "I'm not the seller, contact the actual seller via-off platform method xxx" is the red flag that users should look out for.
Founder
Founder

https://www.bullseyeforum.net

flyer898 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by flyer898 10/1/2021, 11:53 pm

zanemoseley wrote:The threat of mail fraud is the best part about sending a MO/check to pay for something.
Zane, if only that were true. I tried on more than one occassion to get the USPS law enforcement branch involved in a criminal prosecution. While this was some time ago, I doubt things have changed; I found them to be worthless.

flyer898

Back to top Go down

Post by mhayford45 10/29/2021, 3:15 pm

When I make a purchase or sell something I want to talk to the person on the phone. This is where I vet the sale/purchase. It is a pleasure to talk to real shooters and they are easily vetted by their knowledge and passion.  I have not encountered a scammer/scum of the earth yet and if I did I would make the appropriate information available to the community.

mhayford45

Rob Kovach, james r chapman, DonBrummer, Plunker and MikeGibbs like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton 11/22/2021, 6:22 am

Banned another scammer today.  Thanks to our users for looking out for them.

I also made a new NRA classification: Banned Scammer
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

8eightring, kc.crawford.7, chopper, knightimac, Plunker, lakemurrayman, SingleActionAndrew and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2