Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CCM Smith & Wesson 1911 Frame Adapter vs. Herrett's Trainers

3 posters

Go down

CCM Smith & Wesson 1911 Frame Adapter vs. Herrett's Trainers Empty CCM Smith & Wesson 1911 Frame Adapter vs. Herrett's Trainers

Post by Tom Jadlos 6/30/2013, 4:45 pm

The grips on my M41 are too big, consequently I am thinking about purchasing either a CCM Smith & Wesson 1911 Frame Adapter or set of Herrett Trainers (the one's that simulate a 1911 with an arched mainspring).  I am hoping to hear from those of you who have used either or both.  My concerns about the CCM adapter are: How much filing is required to fit them to the gun and how fragile are the clamping screws?  I've seen a copy of the installation instructions and am concerned about the statements "Care must be taken not to overtighten the clamping screws to prevent pulling out of the threads" and "The stock screws should be tightened only enough to prevent loosening in order to avoid pulling the bushings out of the aluminum adapter".  I'm not rough on my guns, but don't need something that requires more attention than a regular pair of grips.  I'd appreciate your comments.  Thanks,
Tom

Tom Jadlos

Back to top Go down

CCM Smith & Wesson 1911 Frame Adapter vs. Herrett's Trainers Empty Re: CCM Smith & Wesson 1911 Frame Adapter vs. Herrett's Trainers

Post by Allan Campbell 7/1/2013, 10:36 am

I had the same problem. My hands are too small to comfortably use the factory grips and to reach the trigger well.

I tried both. I started with the Herrett Flat "Trainers" but the grip was still not comfortable. The front of the frame is exposed and most of the bulk of the grips is behind the actual frame. I still had difficulty getting my finger positioned on the trigger to pull straight back.

The CMM Adapter is less bulky and because it has part of it's "depth" in front of the frame and part behind, rather than all behind the frame, it moves your whole hand forward in relation to the gun, particularly the trigger. Think of it as not only changing the shape to that of a 1911, but adding a short trigger. For someone with small hands that's a big deal.  For larger hands, the Herrett Flat trainer grips may work as well. 

The CMM does not require much fitting. As I recall, it took 2 small swipes with a fine file to get a friction fit.

The frame where one of the screws attaches is thin and if you try to do more than snug it down, it could strip. The frame adapter is aluminum and the screw steel. First, it doesn't need to be more than snug. All it does is help keep the adapter aligned. Second, if you are concerned about it loosening, it is covered by the grips and can't back out. The grip tape also holds the halves together, and you can put a dab of Locktite on the screw if it makes you more comfortable. I did. And finally, if it does strip, CMM has a fix which is a 4-40 nut which is inlet into the grip panel and a slightly longer screw.

I have had my CMM for about 2 years and just bought another for my backup 41. I sold the Herretts for about 1/2 what I paid for them on this or another forum.

Allan Campbell

Back to top Go down

CCM Smith & Wesson 1911 Frame Adapter vs. Herrett's Trainers Empty Re: CCM Smith & Wesson 1911 Frame Adapter vs. Herrett's Trainers

Post by Chris_D 7/2/2013, 4:59 am

Go with the CMM grips.  I bought mine at Perry last year and have enjoyed that purchase since then.  As Allan pointed out, there is no need to overtighten the screws so don't do it.  

As for fitting the grips to the gun, I only recall a few minutes with a file and that was it.  I believe I spent about the same amount of time with the Herretts.

While the CMM grips are not a "perfect duplicate" of the 1911 feel, the Herretts felt like I was holding a 2x4 in my hand.  

I have no regrets on this purchase.

Chris D

Chris_D

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down