Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RMR on target pistols

4 posters

Go down

RMR on target pistols Empty RMR on target pistols

Post by severnr Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:17 pm

Curious why i haven’t seen many Reflex type red-dots sights like the Trijicon RMR on many bullseye pistols.  I have seen them extensively for other applications and know they are reliable.   Do they not hold a zero as well as tube sights?  Is it a cost issue?   Thanks for the feedback.

severnr

Back to top Go down

RMR on target pistols Empty Re: RMR on target pistols

Post by straybrit Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:20 pm

I use one on my 38sp 1911 purely because it's the lightest reliable red dot I can find. If you let the gun 'wander' it can be very hard to pick up the dot again as you don't have the tube aperture helping you align it. Other than weight I feel it has nothing to offer and is even or worse in every other respect.  YMMV.

straybrit

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:28 pm

I put one on my 45 to save weight. Spent a couple weeks raising the pistol to find the dot. Took it off and put the Matchdot back on without firing a shot.

YMMV.

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:02 pm

RMR on target pistols 9181e510
They’re accurate enough.  If you have to hunt for the dot you’re moving your wrist to align the dot to your eye.  That is a grip issue.  Your hand is in the wrong place on the gun.  From a 45 deg low ready you should be able to lift the gun and the dot should be visible.  If you have to move your wrist adjust your grip so it does line up.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:15 pm

It just occurred to me, that was when I was still shooting weak hand, cross dominant eye.

In the immortal words of Emily Litella ...

"Never Mind"

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by straybrit Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:22 pm

Agreed on all points. The issue is that if you lose alignment, really only an issue in RF, then they are a total pain. 

This was, funnily enough, the first indication that I needed to go to ortho grips - my right hand can no longer adequately hold the 'fore and aft' grip for a whole 2700. I can get through the 22 just fine - with 850 ish scores. The CF starts OK but tails off really fast.  Moved to Dick's ortho grips and the 22 scores stay the same but the CF scores immediately added 40 points - all in sustained fire.  So I swapped the CF grips to the 45, worked up a reduced load for the short line and, in practice anyway, seem to have replicated the result. Conclusion - getting old sucks - especially when you've spent far too many of your earlier decades doing stupid testosterone fueled stuff that you end up paying for.

straybrit

troystaten likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down