Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trigger Jerk is a Myth.

+31
faraim
Colt711
Slamfire
Allgoodhits
NuJudge
Axehandle
BE Mike
Tim:H11
Chase Turner
rsp
msmith44
jjfitch
Ed Hall
PMcfall
Wes Lorenz
PhotoEscape
Jack H
Froneck
Fezzik68
sbtzc
CR10X
chopper
Wobbley
Merick
SteveT
Dan Webb
Pinetree
bruce martindale
zanemoseley
Jon Eulette
funski
35 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Trigger Jerk is a Myth. - Page 3 Empty Trigger Jerk is a Myth.

Post by funski Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

Article by John "Shrek" McPhee on trigger control being a myth.  Just wondering if any of you have read it and have any comments.

Thanks in advance
Jim

funski

Back to top Go down

Trigger Jerk is a Myth. - Page 3 Empty Re: Trigger Jerk is a Myth.

Post by Slamfire Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:08 am

Thanks for the link!

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/content/why-trigger-jerk-is-a-myth/

The author of that article is someone who is obviously into combat shooting, which is primarily at spitting distances and rapid fire.  Seven yards is a long way for these guys. And at seven yards,  I can shoot very tight groups even with my nasty flinch, for I have done it many times.  I have kept all shots in the black at 25 yards with my flinch. However, at 50 yards, hitting the black with my uncontrolled flinch  has been a matter of happenstance. Precision fifty yard shooting, where every shot shows on a piece of paper, is totally hubris popping.  But, the shots have to be on paper, and not dirt splashes on a berm. If you only shoot at cans on a berm you will think yourself one Dead Eye Dick, when you are infact, all over the place. 

I am quite certain John “Shrek” McPhee  has never attached a SCATT shooting device to his barrel and seen the muzzle trace before, during, and after trigger release. Go to 58 seconds and see the display.

I don't have one of these, but several of my shooting buds do. All that have them tell me this device shows them their muzzle movement before, during, and after trigger release. Last month, a Smallbore National Champion and I were discussing follow through. I clearly see 11 OC shot placements on the target when I flinch with a 22 lr rifle, and I know, if I can go brain dead, not anticipate the trigger release, and just stay completely put during trigger pull and release, shot placement is predictable. Bud claimed until he laced up into his SCATT, he thought he had a good follow through, but the SCATT showed the muzzle moving all over the place due to his movements.

In my opinion, John “Shrek” McPhee  does not have a means of observing his flinch, is not shooting a game where inaccuracy due to flinch is revealed, and therefore, does not believe he flinches. His advice is worthless for precision shooting, but, within spitting distance where speed is everything, he will do well.

Slamfire

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt711 Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:42 pm

Where do I find this cat John Shrek McGee?
re: The trigger finger moving the pistol; when the  brain becomes frustrated w/ the shot not going there is a sudden, and quite emphatic order, sent which results in a reaction  in the hand. Though imperceptible to the observer the results at the target reveal the truth!
If the shooter has shot enough to be watching the front sight or dot he will see it!

Ron Habegger

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinetree Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:34 pm

Oddly enough, some of the guys were discussing this article after our match last night, and the general consensus was that it was helpful.

Last edited by Pinetree on Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pinetree
Pinetree

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:03 pm

Oh lord..

james r chapman and chopper like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by faraim Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:39 pm

If Trigger Jerk is a myth then I must be a mythical creature, because I can certainly do it.
faraim
faraim

Back to top Go down

Post by ghtt782 Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:36 pm

I tried twice to read the article. Sorry, I just couldn’t finish it. This guy simply has nothing to say that could help anyone and lots to say if he’s trying to mess them up. He just does’t know what he’s talking about. Like a lot of wanna-bees he’s just trying to be different and show his “method” is better. Reminds me of a guy we have locally who likes to teach new people how to shoot sporting clays. He’ll go to a shoot and stand behind you and tell you what you should be doing on each bird and what you’re doing wrong (I was AAA and had one foot in Master at the time). I finally had to ask him to shut up. I ended shooting an 89x100 that day and he shot a 29x100. Still, he’d get new people to pay him for lessons! He owned a gun shop so all the new people thought he knew everything. If this clown comes out with a book I don’t think I’ll be buying it. 

ghtt782

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:10 pm

Froneck wrote:
 Adam says he would rather shoot a gun that groups 10 ring and has a great trigger than shoot a gun grouping in he X ring with a lousy trigger.
 Trigger control is the key to good shooting.
That’s been the consensus of a lot of great shooters from the AMU and other “big dingers” since the 60s.  Bullseye is a trigger discipline, so is Highpower rifle with the M14 and M1.  You gotta pull the trigger without disturbing the gun whiten the gun is pointed at the 10 ring.  It doesn’t get anymore complicated.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fezzik68 Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:45 pm

The Mantis works well for showing the flaws in trigger pull, so does a red dot and dry fire.

Remember,
we can explain it to him,
we can't understand it for him.

Fezzik68

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:15 am

Fezzik68 wrote:The Mantis works well for showing the flaws in trigger pull, so does a red dot and dry fire.

Remember,  
we can explain it to him,
we can't understand it for him.
But to make even better progress, use these tools to show you what perfection looks like rather than flaws. Seek what you desire.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by Fezzik68 Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:36 am

Agreed.
I have made much larger improvements by focusing on what I do right. Positive feedback is a force multiplier.

Fezzik68

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:20 pm

I have trained enough new shooters to know jerking is very real and the norm for people that have never had any training. 

It can result from many things and surely they will always blame the gun. But 9 out of 10 times when I shoot the gun It groups well enough for them to range qualify magically shoots 15 inches higher and 12 inches to the right.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Lorenz Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:30 am

98% of highpower shooters are lacking in pistol "trigger control."

Wes Lorenz

Jon Eulette likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:23 am

Wes Lorenz wrote:98% of highpower shooters are lacking in pistol "trigger control."
I certainly fell into that %..  small bore not so much, but i was much younger.😁
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by NukeMMC Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:41 am

Wes Lorenz wrote:98% of highpower shooters are lacking in pistol "trigger control."
And is why I know more pistol shooters who doubled out than rifle shooters.
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3