Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi Standard 1949 HD Military Failure to return to battery

+2
SonOfAGun
Coupebuilder
6 posters

Go down

Hi Standard 1949 HD Military  Failure to return to battery Empty Hi Standard 1949 HD Military Failure to return to battery

Post by Coupebuilder Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:29 pm

Purchased a really nice HS HD-Military Circa (45-50)for fair money but had a failure to return to battery when I got it. Upon inspection it was missing the recoil spring, recoil spring guide rod and plug.  

Fast forward to parts arrived over the summer from Interarms and since I had no previous spring to go by I attempted to install the recoil spring they provided, this proved near impossible... if you know these guns even the correct spring is a bit of a pain as is, so what appears to be an extra inch or two, makes it an extra special kind of joy.  
   The spring was too long, and bound the whole assembly before it compressed enough to fit in the slide. I cut 1/4 off the coils at a time and still spring compress to much and wont let the slide move far enough to pick up a new cartridge, definitely hanging up on something. Im down to wondering if the guide rod I got from Interarms is too long and is hitting the plug before the slide moves rearward enough. 

Does anyone have an Early HD-Military pistol that has a recoil spring they can measure ? Same for Recoil guide rod...that should be easy without doing more than taking slide off. Id like to compare and see if I got the wrong parts or someting else is wrlong. 

Going to give it a rest tonight and check if the guide rod is assembled and hitting the plug.

Coupebuilder

Back to top Go down

Hi Standard 1949 HD Military  Failure to return to battery Empty Re: Hi Standard 1949 HD Military Failure to return to battery

Post by SonOfAGun Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:03 pm

I don't think many active bullseye shooters are still using the older HS designs, like the H-D.

You will probably have some cogent replies over on rimfire central, in the High Standard sub forum. I believe the new recoil spring is intentionally left long to work with several different models and versions, and most users count the coils on their old spring, and cut the new spring to match. Notice: match the number of coils, not the overall length. So, without a known correct spring to compare, you'll need to find someone who does know the proper number of coils for that model. 

Or you can send the whole box of parts down to Alan, who can put it all right for you.
SonOfAGun
SonOfAGun

Back to top Go down

Hi Standard 1949 HD Military  Failure to return to battery Empty Re: Hi Standard 1949 HD Military Failure to return to battery

Post by Coupebuilder Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:14 pm

I doubt any of them are, just figured some might have one or have parts for one to compare. I did find an article on HS collectors that showed a good exploded view of an assembled slide and I could count compressed coils on it. This and some other detective work...counting the coils on the HS exploded view and hoping the draftsman was a stickler for detail... got me to about 39/ 40 coils. The trick is the spring detent on top of the slide is necessary to install or remove the slide and its a bit of fun.

Coupebuilder

Back to top Go down

Post by pazmaker Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:02 am

I just saw this on the email digest. I have a 1948 Hi-Standard Model HD-Military. I can dig it out and measure, if you still need the info.

pazmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Coupebuilder Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:02 am

I appreciate the offer, unless youre going to pull the spring for maintenance dont worry. Found an article that says to cut standard recoil down to 40 coils wich lines up with what I counted (plus or minus a coil) so keep that in your hat if you ever need to change yours, they are a bit of a pain....until you screw it up 3 or 4 times then you begin to look like you know what you are doing!

Coupebuilder

Back to top Go down

Post by kc.crawford.7 Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:18 am

High Standard of MT will be your best possible choice.
kc.crawford.7
kc.crawford.7

http://www.kcskustomcreations.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Coupebuilder Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:39 pm

Thanks KC, I won this battle but always good to know where the specialty guys are. I like to know how to do things myself even if it involves a struggle on this part.

Coupebuilder

Back to top Go down

Hi Standard 1949 HD Military  Failure to return to battery Empty Having the same problem

Post by bdhornback Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:50 pm

Hello.  I have an early one as well.  Actually, it was the first firearm I ever shot.  It belonged to my Grandfather.  I've had it in my possession for 45+ years.  

Many years ago it too developed a problem with not returning to battery.  I tried to have it repaired around 1990 but it still has not worked since.

Now that I know it should be 40 turns on the spring.... where can I get the correct spring and other associated parts if needed.  Some help would really be appreciated as it's been sitting in my safe for 30+ years and I'd love to shoot it again.  Yes, I've been doing some research too but if someone knows anything that could help me I'd really appreciate it.

Edit: I Found the recoil spring... MidwayUSA in stock.  Can you believe it?  

Thanks,
Brice

bdhornback

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:03 pm

See "HS spring offer" thread
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down