Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to Forum

+3
RodJ
Wobbley
rckendall
7 posters

Go down

New to Forum Empty New to Forum

Post by rckendall 9/15/2022, 12:48 pm

Hi,
I stumbled onto this forum a short time ago and knew that I would enjoy hanging out here, so I joined up. I'm retired, live in Prescott, AZ and shooting handguns again after nearly 25 years. At that time I shot a Colt Gold Cup in USPSA and a 9mm S&W in IDPA. From there I shot High Power service rifles in Across the Course competition with an AR15 and an M1A.

Work and life got in the way for many years and I didn't shoot at all. After retiring in 2014 I started shooting F Class in both Mid Range and Long range, attaining an Expert classification in LR and a Master in MR. After a few years I moved to Prescott and lately I have taken up handguns again and not sure where I am headed, but enjoy this site a lot.

I will be posting for some help with handloading 9mm, but wanted to introduce myself first. 

Thanks for letting me be part of this group,
Richard

Edit to add: I also ordered a new Springfield Armory Range Officer based on what I have read here!

Last edited by rckendall on 9/15/2022, 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot something)

rckendall

ric1911a1, dieselguy624 and RodJ like this post

Back to top Go down

New to Forum Empty Re: New to Forum

Post by Wobbley 9/15/2022, 1:24 pm

Welcome!
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 9/15/2022, 1:51 pm

Welcome from Austin TX from a BE beginner. It’s just a ton of fun for my personality. Sounds like it will be fun for you too with you’re background.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by bmize1 9/15/2022, 3:10 pm

Welcome to the struggle……
I shot F for several years myself and started shooting BE a few years later.
I’m in AL, but have shot Ben Avery several times along with Raton.
Before that was Hunter Pistol silhouette.

I’ll tell you from my experience, F is a cake walk compared to BE.
This is the most frustrating and challenging sport I’ve played and I’m enjoying ALMOST every minute of it.

BTW, Friend of mine is the owner of simply rugged holsters in Prescott.

Again, welcome to the madness……..

bmize1

rckendall likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase Turner 9/15/2022, 7:10 pm

rckendall wrote:...

I will be posting for some help with handloading 9mm, but wanted to introduce myself first.

There are lots of ways to skin that cat, and searching the forum will give you a lot of material. However, I'll point you to this thread: https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t11067-9mm-loads-for-bullseye-shooting, and specifically JIMPGOVs data and encourage you to start with it.

I was helping a friend get ready for Perry and getting some chrono data to help him tune using Bullseye powder to match the velocity he was getting from Atlanta Arms factory ammo. While I had the chrono up, I shot some of the 147 JHP I loaded with Jim's recommendation of 5.4 WSF. It was, as he said, soft shooting. It also had an SD of 7. While I'm aware that SD isn't nearly the quality indicator that it is for LR, it still was pleasant to see. If any of the other loads are that consistent and that good, you can take it to the bank from JIMPGOVs post in the thread I mentioned.

Thanks,
Chase

Chase Turner

SingleActionAndrew and rckendall like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigtrout 9/16/2022, 6:34 am

Welcome Richard.  Nice to have a fellow 9mm handloading enthusiast in the forum.
Dave
Bigtrout
Bigtrout

Back to top Go down

Post by rckendall 9/17/2022, 1:36 pm

bmize1 wrote:
BTW, Friend of mine is the owner of simply rugged holsters in Prescott.

Thanks for the welcome and mentioning your friend's business, I had not heard of it before. I found his website but don't think they have a brick and mortar store. I will certainly keep him in mind.

Thanks again,
Richard

rckendall

Back to top Go down

Post by rckendall 9/17/2022, 1:42 pm

Chase Turner wrote:

There are lots of ways to skin that cat, and searching the forum will give you a lot of material. However, I'll point you to this thread: https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t11067-9mm-loads-for-bullseye-shooting, and specifically JIMPGOVs data and encourage you to start with it.

I was helping a friend get ready for Perry and getting some chrono data to help him tune using Bullseye powder to match the velocity he was getting from Atlanta Arms factory ammo. While I had the chrono up, I shot some of the 147 JHP I loaded with Jim's recommendation of 5.4 WSF. It was, as he said, soft shooting. It also had an SD of 7. While I'm aware that SD isn't nearly the quality indicator that it is for LR, it still was pleasant to see. If any of the other loads are that consistent and that good, you can take it to the bank from JIMPGOVs post in the thread I mentioned.

Thanks,
Chase
Thanks for the welcome and the link. Things have settled down here enough now that I can continue with my research. Good or bad, I already have a bunch of components that I would like to use, but I'll see where this all leads.

I've looked for local BE matches and only found 22 matches close by, and their rules allow two hand shooting as well as one hand. That seems to be the way that club operates!?

Thanks again,
Richard

rckendall

Back to top Go down

Post by rckendall 9/17/2022, 1:45 pm

Thanks to everyone who sent out a welcome! I love this very informative site! I really feel like a rookie beginner here, but that's ok, I will do my best.

Thanks again,
Richard

rckendall

Back to top Go down

Post by rckendall 9/17/2022, 2:21 pm

Chase Turner wrote:

Thanks,
Chase
Chase, 
Thanks so much for this link. I just spent a little time over there and found that I have some of the right bullets and powder! He listed both 115gr and 124gr bullets together with the same powder charge. I ran that data in Quick Load and found about a half grain reduction in charge weight that was given brought similar results for pressure with an increase in velocity compared to what I have been shooting (124gr). The big difference was his COAL being quite long compared to factory recommendation which I have been using.

I'm anxious to load some up now for testing.

Thanks,
Richard

rckendall

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 9/17/2022, 5:20 pm

Richard,

There are several clubs in AZ which hold "casual" Bullseye shoots, don't know the Prescott area, but I do know that a couple of very Bullseye knowledgeable guys live there.

Tony Silva runs registered matches at Show Low (White Mountain Range) and the Phoenix Rod & Gun Club on the south side of Phoenix is undoubtedly the most active Bullseye club in AZ. But a fairly long drive from Prescott. There is casual Bullseye shooting at Wickenburg and also the very active club at Rio Salado. Plus the state owned Ben Avery range north of Phoenix, but that is primarily oriented to rifles. But, AFAIK, only Show Low and PRGC have permanent turning targets.

PM me if you want contact details.

RoyDean

rckendall likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down