Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broken konus help

+5
Randy_D
Tripscape
sharkdoctor
SteveT
Jwhelan939
9 posters

Go down

Broken konus help Empty Broken konus help

Post by Jwhelan939 10/2/2022, 2:50 pm

My oldest knocked over my konuspot 80 spotting scope and cracked the pot metal ring that is used to mount the scope to the stand. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or recommendations for a fix? I attempted to contact konus when it happened last year but never received a response. I just sent a second one, but figured I’d see what y’all might have in mind in case I do not receive a response. Looking closely, it is pretty cheap metal. I can’t imagine this is a rare occurrence. Thank you for any help.

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Broken konus help Empty Re: Broken konus help

Post by Jwhelan939 10/3/2022, 11:53 am

I just received a response. They simply said the part is not serviceable.  That was all they had to offer.

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 10/3/2022, 12:02 pm

Without seeing it, I might try some 2 part epoxy putty, JB Weld and/or Bondo.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Jwhelan939 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 10/3/2022, 1:12 pm

SteveT wrote:Without seeing it, I might try some 2 part epoxy putty, JB Weld and/or Bondo.
Only difficulty is the band needs to be able to freely spin. The piece is very thin would be nearly impossible to get it to hold the band, but still freely spin. Will definitely be a resort though if nothing else is suggested. I was hoping someone in our world has experienced this before.

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 10/3/2022, 1:19 pm

Thread and superglue around the outside of the band? Silver Solder? Or epoxy it in one position.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by sharkdoctor 10/3/2022, 3:09 pm

I took a look at my Konus to see what your problem might be.  If the crack is midway around, you might epoxy (JB Weld, Steel bed, etc.) a band overlapping the crack -  could go most diameter, but use enough surface for epoxy to hold.  Or drill and tap and screw to hold.  If it is at the base or setscrew, a semiband might work, on the base to ring.  Epoxy likely won't hold, or use a combination.  Not aesthetically pleasing but it might work.

Just some suggestions.  Good luck!

sharkdoctor

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 10/3/2022, 5:48 pm

Can you post a pic? Trying to envision what part is broken. I may have few solutions.

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 10/3/2022, 7:35 pm

Thank you to all who have responded. The metal bracket is broken in multiple spots. The best option would probably be something to replace it? Maybe some sort of mount that will go on a tripod that had a hose clamp style retention system? I’m not looking to invent something, more asking if anyone has ever seen anything like what I’m describing?

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 10/3/2022, 7:35 pm

Broken konus help F3f23610

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Broken konus help Empty Freeland saddle head

Post by Randy_D 10/3/2022, 9:46 pm

You might want to see if the Freeland saddle head might work for you 
https://freelandssports.com/product/saddle-head-for-1-4x20-thread-scope-mount/

It is $29 and was meant for older scopes that did not have the mounting ring so just might be the ticket.  Here is hoping it might work for you

Randy

Randy_D

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 10/3/2022, 10:22 pm

I have an old pachmayr gun box that has a scope mount that works on the premise of a hose clamp and a bracket. Not necessarily the most elegant solution but might spark an idea or two.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 10/4/2022, 8:32 am

So not as easy as I thought it would be, but this will work.  When you need to fix anything round back together a sawing thread thick layer around it and then soak in the liquid crazy glue makes a strong shell. Here the botton of the bracket prevents fron going all the way around. How I would tackle this job: make a cut with dremel on both sides of the bottom to allow thread around the radius. Then crazy glue broken pieces in place. It will be stable enough for next part. Wrap black sawing thread  around the radius of whole bracket in many layers. Then soak it all in liquid, not gel, crazy glue. It will penetrate all threading and create a carbon fiber sort of shell that will be very strong. Have fixed many vacuum cleaner handles and attachments same way, they never break in same place again amd take tons of abuse. I am sure it will work great.

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by VNK971 10/12/2022, 10:24 am

I have a Konuspot 80 that broke in a similar event. Same area, different break. Konus told me I couldn't get it repaired. Pay for shipping and you can have mine for parts. Send me a PM.

VNK971

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxturtle 10/12/2022, 12:29 pm

If it was mine I would make a wooden split ring to replace the broken part.  Wood screws through one half and screwed into the other half would tighten it onto the body of the scope.  A block glued to one half of the ring would hold the mounting hardware.  I've mounted several small telescopes and directional antennas this way.  The method easily supports antennas that move swiftly to track low polar orbiting satellites.  Pine is sufficiently strong.
Boxturtle
Boxturtle

Back to top Go down

Post by nagantino 10/14/2022, 6:04 am

I had a similar problem with a different model…..pot metal is impossible to work with. I found a similar replacement and just bought it. Pain when it happens.

nagantino

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down