Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broken firing pin

4 posters

Go down

Broken firing pin Empty Broken firing pin

Post by John McCormick 6/7/2015, 6:32 am

I have an older (pre-2000) Browning Buckmark that recently began misfiring. I found that the firing pin had snapped in two. Browning updated this model in 2000 and changed the pin design and they no longer make the older pin. Other parts sources I have checked are sold out of the old ones. Does anyone have a pre-2000 firing pin lying around and be willing to sell it? Is it worthwhile to have the pin welded? I do have both pieces. I'd really like to keep the gun going. Lou Lombardi did the trigger on it years ago and it is a terrific shooter.

John McCormick

Back to top Go down

Broken firing pin Empty Re: Broken firing pin

Post by dronning 6/7/2015, 7:22 am

Posted over on Rimfire central
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549187

- Dave

text from link:
"I called Browning to order a few parts including a new firing pin for 1991 Buckmark. He said since they don't make them anymore they'd send me the new style slide with a new firing pin assembly. They only charged me for the price of a firing pin and shipping. When the parts arrived last week I installed them and realized the old style rear sight base is narrower than the new style and doesn't quite cover the opening on top of the slide. I called back to Browning, explained the issue, they said no problem and are sending me a new rear sight base no charge. My experience with Browning customer service was great.

The only issue that remains is related to the buffer. The 1991 Buckmark takes the black recoil buffer. The new slide and recoil spring take the new white buffer. They sent the new style buffer and said to use it, it will work, so I'm hoping they are right. It does not have the "button" on the backside like the black buffer does. The button fits in a recess in the recoil post, so the white one will just sit flush but won't be held in place by the button and I'm just wondering how that will work. Any one have experience with this?"
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by John McCormick 6/7/2015, 11:29 am

I had read that prior to posting this. A later commenter in that thread stated that Browning considered the free parts mentioned above a mistake that would not be repeated.

John McCormick

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 6/7/2015, 12:30 pm

John McCormick wrote:I had read that prior to posting this. A later commenter in that thread stated that Browning considered the free parts mentioned above a mistake that would not be repeated.

Bummer, I have a very early Buckmark ('85 or '86), at least there is a fix/upgrade if ever needed. I think I'd give some sheet steel and a dremel a try and heat treat the tip.

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by John McCormick 6/7/2015, 1:25 pm

Agreed. Making or having the part made I think is going to be the only option.

John McCormick

Back to top Go down

Post by C.Perkins 6/7/2015, 6:08 pm

John;

Contact Andy Trivette's Gunsmithing
828-310-2007

He has some on Ebay for sale but thay are post 2001, maybe he knows or could make you one.

Clarence
C.Perkins
C.Perkins

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 6/7/2015, 6:30 pm

You can often get what you need by simple dogged persistence.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by John McCormick 6/7/2015, 11:17 pm

Thanks for the replies. I called a local gunsmith who is also a high-end knifemaker and machinist. He seems to think making a new pin is a better idea than welding up the broken one.

John McCormick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down