Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Slick way to mount optic on the Walther GSP Expert

+2
Boxturtle
ShawnC
6 posters

Go down

Slick way to mount optic on the Walther GSP Expert Empty Slick way to mount optic on the Walther GSP Expert

Post by ShawnC Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:39 pm

I am just starting to shoot the Postal Pistol .22 RF Bull’s-eye matches. I had a S&W M41 that I had never shot more than to sight it in and thought this would be a fine pistol to start out with. I machined a RMR cut into the barrel and mounted a Holosun dot sight on it. While I liked this setup and it shot very well off the bags during sight in and group testing, I had a difficult time being comfortable with it during Bull’s-eye shooting practice. The factory grips were slick, big and created too much distance from the web of my hand to the crease of my trigger finger. This caused me to constantly shift my grip while shooting. This was really rough on the rapid fire strings. I shave the grips down as much as possible to enhance the fit to my hand, then I textured the grips and painted them. This helped a bunch but still did not give me a warm fuzzy feeling when shooting it.
I put the 41 back into the gun safe and moved forward. I purchased a Walther GSP Expert from Champions Choice. I had had one of these in my hands before and really liked how it became an extension of my arm (probably why I was never happy with the 41’s feel). It arrived with a medium left handed grip installed. With just a few adjustments to the grip and trigger and I was already getting that fuzzy warm feeling. I wanted to use a tube sight instead of the micro sized RMR style dot like I had on the 41. I had an Aimpoint Comp C that I had used on several pistols and rifle over the years and even a shotgun. I looked online for mounts and found several that replaced the rear sight and/or drilled and tapped to the receiver. I was not a fan of any of them; they just looked a little too much like an afterthought and really detracted from the looks of the pistol. I am not a form over function guy but I do like my stuff to look nice after it is functional. I removed the upper from the pistol, removed the rear sight and was studying it over thinking about how to make a slick base mounting setup when I looked at the width of the receiver. I appeared to be about 7/8”, I measure it and low and behold it was .852”. I own a long range rifle shop so my next move was pretty easy. I setup the receiver in the mill, zeroed everything out, located where the single Aimpoint ring would need to be located and cut a 7/8” base grooves into the receiver. Now I have no base to come loose, a sight that flows into the receiver and is not too high relative to my hand level. Also as icing on the cake too me it looks like it was meant to be there. I am pretty excited about this project and looking forward to getting some range time with it.
Slick way to mount optic on the Walther GSP Expert Gsp10

ShawnC

mhayford45, ric1911a1 and RoyDean like this post

Back to top Go down

Slick way to mount optic on the Walther GSP Expert Empty Re: Slick way to mount optic on the Walther GSP Expert

Post by Boxturtle Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:48 am

Nicely done!
Boxturtle
Boxturtle

Back to top Go down

Slick way to mount optic on the Walther GSP Expert Empty Re: Slick way to mount optic on the Walther GSP Expert

Post by ShawnC Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:15 am

Thanks, it is a pretty easy operation to do and makes a sleek solid way to mount up a single ring optic or a smaller RMR style optic that attaches to a pic base. Just wanted to let anyone else with a GSP know they had other options besides the base that attaches in place of the rear sight.

ShawnC

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:57 am

Looks good.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by ShawnC Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:32 pm

I was sent a PM about thyis but was not able to reply (lack of posts). You can make this cut and retain the rear sight if you simoply run a little taller ring.

ShawnC

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh27j Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:29 am

I’m very interested in trying this with my new Gsp, I can’t find mounts anywhere. We have plenty of machining experience, but I’d love some more details and pics if at all possible. Thanks josh

Josh27j

Back to top Go down

Post by ShawnC Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:02 am

Very easy for a machinist, buy your ring first. Measure your depth and width cut with a standard 45 degree dovetail cutter. The shape and size of the receiver are perfect just don't cut too deep. You could also run the cust longer if you wanted a 2 ring mount for a tube sight.

ShawnC

Back to top Go down

Post by NukeMMC Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:42 am

Could the grooves be carried to the rear of the rear sight area to mount a 2nd ring more rearward?
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:54 am

I had considered a cut forward of the port but ended up with a base on the barrel itself. I shoot International so i need the rear sight in place

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:57 am

Slick way to mount optic on the Walther GSP Expert 9c928110

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by ShawnC Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:30 pm

I don't see a good level way to put 2 rings toward the rear and retain the rear sight. I think you have to single ring it like mine or move the second ring forward.

ShawnC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down