Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shooting Rapid Fire with 2-stage trigger

2 posters

Go down

Shooting Rapid Fire with 2-stage trigger Empty Shooting Rapid Fire with 2-stage trigger

Post by chopper Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:07 pm

I have a Hammerli 215 S and the trigger is set with most of the weight set on the 1st stage (750 grams) and the rest on the 2nd stage. My total is 1000 grams for 25 meter Standard Pistol. I set it this way to make it better for slow fire, but it hasn't improved it all that much, and has made sustained fire stages harder for me. I still have the anatomical grips on it and tend to grip these firmly.
 Before I make adjustments to the trigger I'd like to know what other shooters like on the 2-stage Hammerli. What do you prefer for the 1st and 2nd stage weights, more on the 1st, even at 50%, or more on the 2nd stage, and why do you like your settings.
 The way I have it set now I can't feel "the wall" between the stages that well. With my 10 meter pistol I can feel the 1st 300 grams and the 2nd stage (510 grams total) has a distinct wall, which also adds a little bit more steadiness.
 So with the 215 set as is, I can't feel that wall in sustained fire and shot is gone before I'm in the bull mostly. It's not natural for me.
 Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Shooting Rapid Fire with 2-stage trigger Empty Re: Shooting Rapid Fire with 2-stage trigger

Post by Jon Eulette Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:19 pm

Stan,
You need to train the trigger reset. Hammerli 208S/215S triggers do not have a hard easily felt reset. Dryfiring; hold trigger to rear and cycle the slide. Slowly release trigger until it resets. Then take up slack/first stage until you feel the second stage wall. Do this first just sitting and watching the trigger. Then graduate to standing and holding trigger to rear, aim, let off trigger,  reset, fire.
I use 1/2# second stage which requires serious training to stage it on reset. It can be done:)
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Ed Hall, sig 99, SaraiEsq and Single_handed like this post

Back to top Go down

Shooting Rapid Fire with 2-stage trigger Empty Re: Shooting Rapid Fire with 2-stage trigger

Post by chopper Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:37 pm

Jon, that kind of reminds me of training in my IDPA days for doing double and triple taps. By learning the reset, only I never let the trigger go all the way forward, those pistols were not 2-stage.
 I tried the reset all the way forward and then I took up 1st stage I felt the wall better than before. Now I really need to train on it.
 I'm glad you answered my post, I didn't want to adjust that trigger again, it took me long enough to get it set up. I couldn't remember the steps it took me anyway and that the outer screw's slots are getting worn. I did make a slotted screwdriver for it finally.
 Thanks much. 
Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down