Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Centerfire w/ Revolver

+4
chopper
Jon Eulette
Ed Hall
lyoke
8 posters

Go down

International Centerfire w/ Revolver Empty International Centerfire w/ Revolver

Post by lyoke Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:57 am

Has anyone shot International Centerfire with a Revolver? I have heard of it before but had a few questions on specifics. 

I have a S&W Model 15-4 with Nill target grips. It looks to meet all of the specs for ISSF Centerfire. I am curious how the trigger is measured. The trigger weight needs to be a minimum of 1000g (2.2lbs). For the match do they weigh it as a double action or is the weight of the single action? 

Do you break position slightly to cock the hammer in the downtime between shots of the rapid/dueling portion? 

Thanks!

lyoke

Back to top Go down

International Centerfire w/ Revolver Empty Re: International Centerfire w/ Revolver

Post by Ed Hall Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:28 am

Before I moved to my Beretta, I used a S&W 19 for International Center Fire.  The trigger is weighed from hammer cocked, so it's the single stage weight. As long as you are stationary at 45 degrees prior to the fire signal, you may recock in any safe manner. I used my off hand so I wouldn't chance changing my grip. My process was:

- cocked at 45 degrees
- fire signal (turn or light)
- up - fire - back to 45 degrees
- recock hammer
- back to 45 degrees
- repeat

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

ric1911a1, chopper and lyoke like this post

Back to top Go down

International Centerfire w/ Revolver Empty Re: International Centerfire w/ Revolver

Post by Jon Eulette Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:46 am

In the early 90’s Eddie Suarez (AMU) was a phenomenal Int CF shooter with a revolver. His fluid exact motions of firing, cocking, aiming were impressive to say the least. It’s definitely something that requires a lot of practice to master. 
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by lyoke Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:47 pm

Ed Hall wrote:Before I moved to my Beretta, I used a S&W 19 for International Center Fire.  The trigger is weighed from hammer cocked, so it's the single stage weight. As long as you are stationary at 45 degrees prior to the fire signal, you may recock in any safe manner. I used my off hand so I wouldn't chance changing my grip. My process was:

- cocked at 45 degrees
- fire signal (turn or light)
- up - fire - back to 45 degrees
- recock hammer
- back to 45 degrees
- repeat

Perfect, that was my thought process but I wanted to get a second opinion. 

Thank you!

lyoke

Back to top Go down

Post by lyoke Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:50 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:In the early 90’s Eddie Suarez (AMU) was a phenomenal Int CF shooter with a revolver. His fluid exact motions of firing, cocking, aiming were impressive to say the least. It’s definitely something that requires a lot of practice to master. 
Jon

I appreciate the information, I will have to look him up! Sounds like a good person to study.

I am sure there are much better approaches to the discipline but with a good revolver in hand it sounds like a blast. Now to practice then find matches!

lyoke

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:11 pm

I use a revolver also a S&W Model 14 with my cast wadcutters. As Ed says it's from the single action position, and I agree on the offhand cocking. I like it a lot it's very fun, and the holes seem huge vs 32.  I shoot under NRA International rules and their CF rules are 3lb trigger weight. Good luck with it.
Stan

chopper

lyoke likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich/WIS Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:03 pm

Back in the late 70's when I still competed shot a TH/TT/TS S&W K38 in the Int CF.  Trigger was better than any auto I tried. Same drill as above on cocking the revolver.

Rich/WIS

Back to top Go down

Post by lyoke Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:49 pm

International Centerfire w/ Revolver 20230210

I've noticed that the grip material around the hammer when cocking it is a bit thick. I'll probably have to file it some so that I can cock it quickly and consistently. I'm pretty excited to start practicing with it!

lyoke

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:53 pm

Excellent looking revolver. 4” barrel? Hopefully grips fit you well. 
Should be fun!
I miss shooting Int. Events. Pretty dead across the US.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:42 pm

Interesting. So in PP can one cock a revolver with the non-shooting hand for all shots, as long as they fire the shot with the shooting hand only, during TF and RF? RF may be dicey, but there is adequate time in TF. I have been shooting all DA, because my thumb (lack of) dexterity does not permit me to cock the hammer with the shooting hand thumb.
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:10 pm

Greetings,

ISSF Rule 8.12...

Trigger weight for 25M Center Fire Pistol is 1000g.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

lyoke likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lyoke Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:18 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:Excellent looking revolver. 4” barrel? Hopefully grips fit you well. 
Should be fun!
I miss shooting Int. Events. Pretty dead across the US.
Jon

Yep, 4". I think it should hold fine for 25M. Going to look at what ammo it likes. Grips fit pretty well which is surprising for me! 

USA Shooting just put out the Nationals calendar to be held at Benning June 1-10. Standard, CF, RF, Free and Air are all on the list!

lyoke

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkF45 Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:41 am

Funny you should mention ICF w/ a revolver.

I will be shooting ICF with my new(to me) Smith Model 16 on Saturday. That is a 32 H&R Magnum. I will be shooting Lapua 32 S&W long wadcutters in the match. They did all right in practice this week.

MarkF45

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down