Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bullet Seating Plug Leading

4 posters

Go down

Bullet Seating Plug Leading Empty Bullet Seating Plug Leading

Post by Soupy44 4/11/2023, 7:56 pm

In my latest issue reloading 38 special, I'm getting leading on the seating plug. It got bad enough that some are seated a fingernail deeper than the rim of the case. In cleaning out the seating die, I got a good chunk of lead out. After that, the leading limited itself to a minor ring on the bottom of the plug (Dillon carbide die set).

Would polishing the bottom of the plug help with this? I put a little one shot on the bottom of the plug and that seemed to help? Any other suggestions?

Soupy44

Back to top Go down

Bullet Seating Plug Leading Empty Re: Bullet Seating Plug Leading

Post by mspingeld 4/11/2023, 8:36 pm

I had the same issue. Seems to be fixed by expanding the case so the bullet can be inserted 80% of the way in by hand. The seating die does the last little bit, then full length crimping die. Reliable, accurate and no more lead build up on the seating die. I'm using Alex's expander on a Hornady press. (see the PhotoEscape link on the forum home page).

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soupy44 4/12/2023, 9:04 am

Thanks Mike.  My bullets go in about half way, so I'll crank down on the expander plug.  Kind of scary for me since I'm getting really stuck cases on it, but hopefully the 38 super sizing die I ordered will help.

Soupy44

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld 4/12/2023, 9:34 am

I also spray my brass with Hornady case lube before loading. I lay the brass down on a cardboard tray and spray from a couple of directions so a little lube gets inside the cases. This helps with the sticking on the expander. Not 100% but it does make it easier.

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kp321 4/14/2023, 8:33 pm

I don’t have any problem loading Magnus HBWC’s so I guess my expanding is good. However the black lube on Remingtons builds up as you describe. I keep a brass scribe on the bench to scrape it out every ten rounds or so. The Remingtons shoot well but are a pain to load. Self limiting problem, almost out of them.

Kp321

Back to top Go down

Post by 243winxb 4/27/2023, 8:57 am

Seat & crimp in separate operations. Buy RCBS  dies, the expander is M type. No shaving of lead on seating bullets.
243winxb
243winxb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down