Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

.38AMU .38 AMU - Brass and ammo values

3 posters

Go down

.38AMU .38 AMU - Brass and ammo values Empty .38AMU .38 AMU - Brass and ammo values

Post by RJaquith 5/17/2023, 2:30 pm

Years ago, when I thought I was going to have all the time in the world upon retiring, I started to accumulate items for building a .38AMU Colt 1911; not sure why, as I love my Model 52-2. It's just never going to happen. Over the years, I've ended up with about 750 factory 38AMU rounds, a Medium Flat rate box of fired .38 AMU brass (quantity unknown, but maybe close to 2K? I hate the thought of counting it....), 4 .38 AMU mags in various states of condition, and 3 Colt Factory barrels - 1 38 AMU that appears uncut with a link, 1 .38 AMU with bottom lugs cut, and an untouched Colt .38 Special Kit barrel in the Colt plastic bag w/part #. Since this round is obsolete, I figured that maybe I could have one AMU barrel rechambered for 9mm Winchester Magnum loaded as a wadcutter since it is about the same length as .38 (within 0.05, I think), and mags are available. Ah, the dreams one has when they are young....... Crying or Very sad

There are so few sales that I can find, I have no idea what pricing should be; I'm guessing that a package deal would be my best choice, but parting it out is an option, too.

Is this idea worth pursuing? Question

Thanks

Randy

RJaquith

Back to top Go down

.38AMU .38 AMU - Brass and ammo values Empty Re: .38AMU .38 AMU - Brass and ammo values

Post by messenger 5/17/2023, 2:33 pm

If you want to part it out I am interested in the 750 rounds and the brass.

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

.38AMU .38 AMU - Brass and ammo values Empty Re: .38AMU .38 AMU - Brass and ammo values

Post by rich.tullo 5/17/2023, 4:24 pm

My guess is 50 cents a case is fair for the brass. On gun broker I would list it at $1 a round. Personally I would build a 38 super with a KKM barrel and call it a day because 38 Super may be the most versatile round ever made. 

Loaded ammo, I would charge $2 a pop on Gunbroker. 

With all the money you made from the brass and the parts you can buy a 9mm RO and a barrel and have someone fit it right.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by RJaquith 5/17/2023, 5:17 pm

Rich,

Thanks for the input; it gives me a reference to start from. I have a hand-built 9mm match built on a Colt .38 Super with a Kart barrel&bushing and an Aristocrat Tri-set rear&front that I was going to continue my PPC matches with, but it never happened. I'll bet I could have a Super barrel fit to it as well. I got it after buying a Smith 952, and being very disappointed with it at 50 yards.

Randy

RJaquith

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down