Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ok, what's the next step

4 posters

Go down

Ok, what's the next step Empty Ok, what's the next step

Post by L. Boscoe Wed May 24, 2023 3:32 pm

I am now getting to the point where I can dependably shoot 4 inch groups two handed, with 22 or 45, the 45 a bit better than the 22.

( My 45 is a Les Baer with a KC hammer/sear set, the 22 either a 41 or a Marvel conversion.)

One handed, lot bigger wobble.
So-the next step is: A. work on two handed until the groups get smaller, or
 B. Go to one handed and make the groups tighter without the worry about
the size of the groups.
Keep in mind I am old, cannot stand for more than ten minutes at a time due to a
severe arthritic condition in my back, but I can shoot a long time from a stool
The groups don't seem to vary much from seated to standing, just can't do
many shots if standing.
 Practice routine is weight lifting for arm and shoulder strength, and a lot of
dry firing with a heavy 45.
Opinions welcome

L. Boscoe

Back to top Go down

Ok, what's the next step Empty Re: Ok, what's the next step

Post by Wobbley Wed May 24, 2023 4:02 pm

Start working on one handed. For now, just shoot 25 yards. For the next 5-10 training sessions shoot on B-8 centers at 25 yards until you get 2 consecutive 5.6 inch (9 ring) groups, slow fire. Then turn it around and repeat with the black visible. Use a dot.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Mike M. likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by L. Boscoe Wed May 24, 2023 7:57 pm

Thanks-50 yds are not available, the indoor range only goes to 25, maybe 22.
I will do the one handed-I am up to about 4in groups two handed now.
I am not sure I can see the 50 yd targets anymore.  30 plus years ago
I was no good at 50 yds, decent at 25.

L. Boscoe

Back to top Go down

Post by JHHolliday Thu May 25, 2023 8:54 am

One suggestion would be to work on your core strength.  I have back problems too, and find that exercises that strengthen the muscles supporting the spine (abdominal, psoas, etc) reduces back pain and increases mobility.

Specifically at my gym they have many cable-weight machines, and for core I use one where the bars are set horizontally so you can pull the weight while twisting - like swinging a bat.  I alternate 20 reps swinging right to left / left to right X about 15 sets.  The increased core strength makes me more limber and less pain when standing still (shooting).

I was away from the gym for 2 years during plague, and grew a belly and the back became weaker and more painful.   Now back to they gym for a few months both are improved  Cool
JHHolliday
JHHolliday

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Wed May 31, 2023 3:16 pm

L. Boscoe wrote:Keep in mind I am old, cannot stand for more than ten minutes at a time due to a
severe arthritic condition in my back........ Practice routine is weight lifting for arm and shoulder strength, and a lot of
dry firing with a heavy 45.
You remind me of me.  I've also got a Baer, Premiere II, and amazingly I can no hold it up for a short time, one handed.
My club's bullseye matches allow one or two hand shooting.
NRA now has classes for oldsters (like me) to shoot two-handed.
I'm 79, and when I tried shooting one-handed, I never finished a match.
When I shot at the club's matches, while I got tired, I made it through the club matches.
None of that is likely to help you though 

This might.
Dave Salyer made a magazine filled with lead, for me to practice with.  Dry firing like that, then removing the magazine, makes the gun feel like it's a plastic toy.  When you go to the range the next day, you're used to the weight.

From what you wrote, you remind me of why I so much enjoy two-hand shooting with my Baer.  
What ranges or clubs do you have available, or do you just go to the shooting range to enjoy yourself.  
Do you intend to start going to Bullseye matches and compete?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by L. Boscoe Wed May 31, 2023 4:10 pm

I'm going to the gym 3x a week and my dry firing is with a LB Premier heavyweight  or a Marvel conversion with an Aimpoint 9000c on it they both weigh more than 43 oz, I think 50.  I can hold either for freehand for maybe 15 dry fires or range firing and then sit down.  The real problem is the back-I am 6ft 210#, and in decent muscle, but non operable arthritis in my lower back that is quite ok sitting, forget standing for any long period.
For now, trying to get skill level where I can at the local indoor range, then maybe go back to my old club and compete.  Time will tell. Thanks for the input.

L. Boscoe

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Wed May 31, 2023 5:35 pm

Just a thought - the Baer Heavyweight weighs A LOT, and the 9000C - the heaviest sight I have ever held.  Do you have a lighter gun to shoot with, one that you can maybe mount a Vortex Venom sight on?  That sight is so light, if it wasn't held down, it could blow away.

Just a thought - I'll leave it for other people here to make suggestions, as I suspect what works for me might be very different from what works for you.

It's just that if you've already got back issues as you describe, a heavy gun with a heavy sight is likely making things even worse for your back???

Good luck!
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by L. Boscoe Wed May 31, 2023 8:02 pm

I shoot the LB with a Holosun on it, that works pretty good.  The aimpoint is
probably going to live on a Ruger, so weight would not be an issue.
Strange as it may seem, I can hold a 10# barbell at arms length for about 30 sec with no problem, no back issue, and I use that technique to work on shoulder strength.
I have a lot of 45's, CZ, Tan. SARS, etc that are lighter.  The CZ and Tan are 
very good target guns for my level, and lighter than the LB heavy

L. Boscoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down