Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When shooting with an optic sight is a magnified scope allowed?

+11
Jon Eulette
JHHolliday
mbmshooter
Ed Hall
jwax
john bickar
SteveT
Froneck
Larry2520
Orion
ric1911a1
15 posters

Go down

When shooting with an optic sight is a magnified scope allowed? Empty When shooting with an optic sight is a magnified scope allowed?

Post by NWSteve Mon May 29, 2023 11:03 am

Are pistol scopes allowed in competitions that allow optics?

NWSteve

Back to top Go down

When shooting with an optic sight is a magnified scope allowed? Empty Re: When shooting with an optic sight is a magnified scope allowed?

Post by ric1911a1 Mon May 29, 2023 11:08 am

Yes.
ric1911a1
ric1911a1

NWSteve likes this post

Back to top Go down

When shooting with an optic sight is a magnified scope allowed? Empty Re: When shooting with an optic sight is a magnified scope allowed?

Post by Orion Mon May 29, 2023 11:41 am

Does anyone shoot with a scope? Can’t recall any of the HM shooting with this.
Orion
Orion

https://www.linkedin.com/in/oriondarley/

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry2520 Mon May 29, 2023 7:32 pm

If you want to see just how shaky your hold is a magnifier will.
What a Face

Larry2520

orpheoet and popchevy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Mon May 29, 2023 9:37 pm

Before the Red Dot sights scopes with dots were popular. 1X 1.5X and 2X were used. Yes higher magnification can be used but you will feel like your standing in a row boat during a storm!

Froneck

RoyDean likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT Mon May 29, 2023 11:26 pm

Allowed, yes. Recommended, no.

I've shot a 2x. It's even harder to pull the trigger than normal.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by jwax Tue May 30, 2023 9:23 pm

I've seen and used a 2X Red Dot. It's not for everybody!
jwax
jwax

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Tue May 30, 2023 11:03 pm

Orion wrote:Does anyone shoot with a scope? Can’t recall any of the HM shooting with this.

Doc Young shot with a 2x crosshair scope IIRC. He was a hard holder.
john bickar
john bickar

mbmshooter likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Wed May 31, 2023 4:52 am

Prior to Red Dot quite a few high shooting Masters used scopes. I don't remember when but years ago there was no High Master classification. I think when the Red Dot became the choice of most shooters it was about the time when the NRA came-up with the High Master classification. Since there was no High Master classification back when scope was being used then only a few like Young continued to use the scope being HM when the change was made.
 What I don't understand is why someone is not making a red/any color dot actual scope and not the reflected dot all the Red Dot sights are using!

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by jwax Wed May 31, 2023 7:08 am

Or, perhaps a concentric ring to frame the bullseye?
jwax
jwax

Arthur likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall Wed May 31, 2023 8:02 am

I had really great results with a magnified crosshair way back when - lots of 100-8x targets in both Timed and Rapid.  But I started trying to pick up those last 2 Xs and lost some of the 100s.  I pulled the crosshairs back off and only tried them a few more times over the years, never getting the original results again.  I don't remember how I did for Slow.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Wed May 31, 2023 10:39 am

john bickar wrote:
Orion wrote:Does anyone shoot with a scope? Can’t recall any of the HM shooting with this.

Doc used 2X Leupold optics on all his pistols in the early 90’s when I was shooting on team with him. He shot A LOT! What was surprising was his hold really wasn’t that good. If you watched him shoot next to Reiter, Reiter was solid and Doc swayed a little. Steve was 5’-6” ish and Doc was 6’-3” ish. I remember Doc being only M/HM using 2X optic. 
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Orion likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Wed May 31, 2023 11:30 am

Young was quite a shooter, I don't know how he did it! He actually traveled the country shooting matches, He was at a match near Baltimore, MD. I remember him shooting great at Perry on a very windy day, we asked him how he did it?? His reply was what wind?? I shake so much I didn't notice it! If I recall he won the match that day!
 Back then Kart was selling pistol scopes! I bought 3 of them.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by mbmshooter Wed May 31, 2023 12:51 pm

john bickar wrote:

John,

I agree that Doc was definitely a Hard Holder.  When I bought his Curtis-built .45 it arrived with a 2x Leupold scope and Morini grips that were HUGE!

Mike

mbmshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:49 am

The one advantage the red dot has other than a bright red dot is it is easy to pick-up the target. With scope in eye is not aligned properly you will see nothing. Being I used scopes on hunting rifles and had both eyes open I didn't have a problem.
 Being that the Red Dots have a few advantages over the scope I don't see many using it. However if they did add an illuminated dot I would be interested! Quite a while ago I did have a Thompson scope with illuminated dot but under normal light conditions the illumination was not good enough, it was designed for low light hunting, during normal light the cross hairs could be used. Had an odd size battery voltage like 2.1V, instructions said not to use higher voltage battery but I tried something like 2.5V, worked great BUT light burned out after a few matches!

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:49 am

Burris made 1X and 2X Bullseye scopes for Gil Hebard.  Very fine crosshairs with a large dot.  I remember seeing advertisements for them that said that the dot was sized so that, kept in the black at 50 yards, shots would be 10s and Xs.  I shot, what would now be high master scores, with them in the mid 80s.   The All NGMTU shooter, 2670 club shooter, Butch Powell shot them for many years too.  Joe Chambers, the All NGMTU gunsmith, lead us to them.  Mounted them on the slide.  Never had a problem.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by JHHolliday Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:47 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9YhJmsJJrQ
JHHolliday
JHHolliday

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:12 pm

Axehandle wrote:Burris made 1X and 2X Bullseye scopes for Gil Hebard.  Very fine crosshairs with a large dot.  I remember seeing advertisements for them that said that the dot was sized so that, kept in the black at 50 yards, shots would be 10s and Xs.  I shot, what would now be high master scores, with them in the mid 80s.   The All NGMTU shooter, 2670 club shooter, Butch Powell shot them for many years too.  Joe Chambers, the All NGMTU gunsmith, lead us to them.  Mounted them on the slide.  Never had a problem.
I started with the Burris 1X and switched over to Tasco ProPoint II red dots. I loved those Tasco scopes. Never let me down. 100k plus rds through 45 slide mounted with no issues. I tried a Burris 1x again about 5 years ago. Old eyes struggled to see the dot; black against black.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:35 am

Heard lots of shooters say that about the Burris scopes.  Never really had an issue shooting outside.  These days with 70 year old eyes and shooting inside I better understand what they were talking about.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:48 am

I had a couple of scopes from Hebard, use it quite a bit. He may have had large dot sizes but mine was not. Been a while ago but if memory is correct the dot was about enough to cover the X Ring at 50 yards. Cross Hairs were very thin and were used to support the dot. I know I would not want a dot large enough to cover the black (8 ring) at 50 yards!
 Red Dot is easier to see and a few do have large 5 minute and larger dots.
 Tasco was good stuff, made in Japan. Japanese optics are one of the best! But Tasco is no longer made in Japan. I seen where they were being made on the box, kinda forgot but I think China! Weaver Rings are made in China!

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Asa Yam Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:06 pm

Froneck wrote:Weaver Rings are made in China!
12L14 steel is cheap - especially if it is made with scrap metal bought from US sources!
(I wish I was kidding.  Sigh...)

Asa Yam

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:21 pm

I hate Ledloy ... rusts *before* you can even look at it.

4140 PH, or my favorite, 416 and vacuum harden after machining. 45 RC, and comes out with a light frosted look that's gorgeous.

And none of that bluing nonsense to deal with.

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:52 am

When I use SS for gun application, I like 17-4ph or 15-5ph

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by NWSteve Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:24 pm

So I tried a 2x scope on my Erma at 25 yards. Was not 2x the fun, went back to the dot.

NWSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down