Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frame vs slide mounted scope

+11
inthebeech
SteveT
Jon Eulette
John Dervis
SingleActionAndrew
hengehold
L. Boscoe
Wobbley
Merick
zanemoseley
faraim
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Frame vs slide mounted scope - Page 2 Empty Frame vs slide mounted scope

Post by hengehold Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:35 pm

First topic message reminder :

Seems like almost all of the 1911s I see at a BE match are slide mounted (including mine). However, this seems to be counter intuitive to me because there is more mass moving back and forth with shot so possibly more wear on the gun? 

Possibly more wear on the scope and mount? 

Mounting the scope at the rear of the slide has the most comfortable balance for me. 

Is the balance different with a frame mounted scope? 

-Trevor

hengehold

Back to top Go down

Frame vs slide mounted scope - Page 2 Empty Re: Frame vs slide mounted scope

Post by Froneck Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:39 am

Here is the photo of the Chatillon test stand with 25lb Chatillon tension/compression gauge mounted. Red Button will lock the dial so that when on the dial will move to the measured tension/compression but will not return when pressure is released. The gauge mount and ram can be moved or inverted so gauge in on the bottom. Ram travel is 6". I went on-line to Chatillon site and seen the stand and available options. They have a digital or ruler ram movement scale that attaches to the ram housing. It is drilled and tapped for the bracket. I will make a bracket and purchased a digital readout unit used to indicate milling machine spindle travel. I'll make the bracket and mount the readout. My friend has a spring compression tester, I made drawing of it but it's rather simple, a tube to fit the spring inside and a guided plunger to compress the spring, I'll make a few for different springs.
Frame vs slide mounted scope - Page 2 Cimg2212

Frame vs slide mounted scope - Page 2 Cimg2213

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodger Barthlow Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:36 am

Very Nice. What was the total investment?
Rodger Barthlow
Rodger Barthlow

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:22 am

The Chatillon gauges were on ebay for about $40 each. The stand I found at HGR surplus for $30 but shipping cost me $100! Stand is like new, not a scratch on it, might be new! Digital readout I got at ebay for $35 (not in the photo but is new unused) so total cost so far is about $285. Probably didn't need the 3 gauges, the 25lb would be good enough but seemed like a good idea at the time! After everything is done is should be about $350. A bit of over kill but now I can determine exact spring weight and any compression length! Probably can check anyone's spring for about $2 including shipping. I might make an attachment so I can determine exactly the amount of pressure the main spring exerts on the slide and various distances of slide travel, probably recoil spring too. Might have to get a bad frame from someone like Caspian.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:43 pm

I just completed my frame mount pistol, (1:13 barrel) and put a few rounds through it. First thing that I instantly noticed is that after the shot the pistol returns to the exact spot it was before firing. It's like the dot never moves with the seemingly instant recovery. It looks like Jason's revolver video. The muzzle flips up a little and it's hardly noticeable as it happens so fast.

Just as a comparison, I then put a few rounds through my slide mount pistol, (1:16 barrel) and I have to pull the muzzle back down onto the target, as it recovers about to the top of the repair center.

Since my slide mount is the only .45 I've used, I never really noticed it, and figured that that was just how it worked.

I imagine that I may be able to balance out the slide mount by using a stronger recoil spring and heavier loads to possibly speed up the slide closing, but as it is now, the frame mount has much less felt recoil with both shooting 180 Brazos.

I am 6'5" with large hands and long fingers, so I never really paid that much attention to felt recoil, as it's never been an issue.

Very interesting!
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodger Barthlow Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:20 am

A friend was at the range last week and was ransom rest testing a new pistol he was building and offered to test my new barreled 1-13 twist .45 1911.

He was surprised at how well the barrel shot with 3.9grs of WST under a Zero LSWCHP 185gr bullet at 50yds And I was surprised that I could see the bullet in flight through the spotting scope and striking the target. 
The only gun I have shot that I could watch the bullet flight and strike the target was from a .50cal machinegun I shot while in the Army.

The difference in slide scope mount recoil with the 1-13 twist feels different and seems to be more controllable then the 1-16 twist. I have had to get used to it and getting back on target after the shot, there seems to be less muzzle flip causing me to overcompensate.
Rodger Barthlow
Rodger Barthlow

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:17 pm

This makes me happy to hear. I’ve got a 1:13 being built. 

The only gun I’ve ever shot where I could see the projectile is my Red Ryder. Might be slow and ineffective in most situations, but a carefully placed shot in the dirt directly under our 19 pound Tom cat while he was stalking a baby birds nest IS EFFECTIVE.  Sent him 3 feet straight up in the air and hit the ground running like a road runner cartoon character.

Sorry for the thread drift. No animals were harmed in the described real life event. 

Rodger Barthlow wrote:A friend was at the range last week and was ransom rest testing a new pistol he was building and offered to test my new barreled 1-13 twist .45 1911.

He was surprised at how well the barrel shot with 3.9grs of WST under a Zero LSWCHP 185gr bullet at 50yds And I was surprised that I could see the bullet in flight through the spotting scope and striking the target. 
The only gun I have shot that I could watch the bullet flight and strike the target was from a .50cal machinegun I shot while in the Army.

The difference in slide scope mount recoil with the 1-13 twist feels different and seems to be more controllable then the 1-16 twist. I have had to get used to it and getting back on target after the shot, there seems to be less muzzle flip causing me to overcompensate.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2