Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cant seem to group at 50 yards

5 posters

Go down

Cant seem to group at 50 yards Empty Cant seem to group at 50 yards

Post by jimmy_b_23 6/7/2023, 6:45 pm

Howdy Y'all,

I recently started on my centerfire journey to train up for camp perry this year. I am running a Colt Gold Cup Trophy with a Novac style fiber optic front sight shooting Atlanta Arms 185 Semi Wad Cutter. I have little doubt that the ammo or the gun is the problem so that leaves just me! 

Yesterday I was low left consistently which i felt was due to  trigger pull but today I was all over the target, but mainly right. My natural point of aim seems to be wicked far to the right of the target, and I don't know what the best way to fix that is. I had the same issue when I competed in  international at university and never found a great solution.

Additionally, I don't know where to hold my sights. I used a sub-six in university, but that doesn't seem to work well. I've tried filling the black with the circumference of the fiber but again, I cant group. 

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

jimmy_b_23

Back to top Go down

Cant seem to group at 50 yards Empty Re: Cant seem to group at 50 yards

Post by Jon Eulette 6/7/2023, 7:12 pm

Do you have a match .22 pistol? Are you having the same problems?

Your pistol is probably capable of 6-8” groups with match ammunition. Not very helpful unfortunately. Is trigger weight set at 4#? 
So on a good day you might hold black for 10 shots. 
How well are you shooting/grouping at 25 yds?

50 yds is a beast if your fundamentals are not down. Can be multiple things; grip, aiming and mostly trigger pull related.

Do you shoot at local gun range that has BE matches? I recommend finding another shooter to help you along.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

BE Mike and jimmy_b_23 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soupy44 6/7/2023, 8:10 pm

I had the same issues with SF for a while. Being more deliberate on the trigger helped. I was trying to dress up the shot too much while letting the shot surprise me. It led to anticipating recoil and losing focus on the front sight. The heavier the trigger, the worse this all got.

Laser focus on the front sight and keep adding pressure to the trigger. Trust your wobble and that regardless of the wobble area size, the shot will break in the middle of the wobble.

Soupy44

jimmy_b_23 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmy_b_23 6/7/2023, 9:24 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:Do you have a match .22 pistol? Are you having the same problems?

Your pistol is probably capable of 6-8” groups with match ammunition. Not very helpful unfortunately. Is trigger weight set at 4#? 
So on a good day you might hold black for 10 shots. 
How well are you shooting/grouping at 25 yds?

50 yds is a beast if your fundamentals are not down. Can be multiple things; grip, aiming and mostly trigger pull related.

Do you shoot at local gun range that has BE matches? I recommend finding another shooter to help you along.
Jon
I also bought an ace precision 22 conversion kit, and the shots are more consistent center left. I also shoot a pardini and that is consistent in the 9 or 10 rings.

jimmy_b_23

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 6/7/2023, 11:03 pm

If you’re shooting the .22 ok, then the heavier trigger pull and recoil are most likely your problem. Mastering the 45 is a whole different level than the .22. 45 is what makes ya or breaks ya!
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

robert84010 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmy_b_23 6/19/2023, 6:58 pm

I have been hitting the range and dryfiring a ton over the past two weeks. MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT. The front sight focus and constant pressure trigger pull have been enormously helpful to my improvement. I also replaced the front sight on my gold cup with a Dawson Precision. taping my left eye over also massively improved my grouping, too! I can shoot timed fire with a consistent low 80s right now. Thank y'all. This week's goal is to get slow fire at 50 yards down pat. 

Of interest to me was how much my hips drifted out of alignment when I took my stance was affecting my grouping. I found that by pointing my feet inward and thinking "hips aligned, front sight, aiming area, trigger pull, follow through" I became consistent.

jimmy_b_23

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 6/20/2023, 8:44 am

Unless your Gold Cup has been accurized by a competent bullseye pistolsmith, it is handicapping you. The Colt Ace conversion also isn't accurate at 50 yards.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by KCoop 6/20/2023, 9:17 am

Inconsistent grip pressure can be an issue, something I'm working thru :/

Too hard a grip...

KCoop

jimmy_b_23 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmy_b_23 6/29/2023, 12:19 am

KCoop wrote:Inconsistent grip pressure can be an issue, something I'm working thru :/

Too hard a grip...

The wind has been crazy here the past week so I have been working on 50ft targets. So, I have been trying to clean up my trigger pull. I found that once my natural point of aim is in line with the bull, all I need to do is add pressure on that trigger and say "pull, pull, pull" until the round fires and I follow through with a second sight picture. If I start to flinch excessively, I found that just working the trigger on the firing bench until the trigger feels like it does when I dry fire at home does the trick, too, 

My fundamentals are rock solid, I am just a little flinchy from the 45... hopefully, it gets better with time and dry fire.

jimmy_b_23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down