Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Racking Your Slide With Optic

5 posters

Go down

Racking Your Slide With Optic Empty Racking Your Slide With Optic

Post by set462 7/1/2023, 5:20 am

As I read more stuff and watch more videos, I see a couple of camps forming. One says it's okay (even faster and sort of better) to rack your slide using your optic. The other side says, "Don't do it! You will constantly need to re-zero, or worse, destroy your optic!"

I haven't figured out which is right, or if there is a middle ground. I have seen videos of guys testing optic mounts by "slam racking" a pistol over and over on the corner of say, a table, using the optic to do so. It didn't appear to hurt anything (I would expect optic and slide cut quality both have a lot to do with it).

So far, the way I do it is, if I'm just manipulating the (unloaded, in case that has to be said) gun in the house for cleaning, function tests, dry fire, etc., I will generally  wrap my hand over the optic, but grab the slide. At the range, especially with the smaller P365, I tend to palm the optic. I haven't noticed any POA movement of the dot doing this.

I can see the POV of the "Egads, don't do it!" side given how small the screws holding optics in are. Yet there are still the torture test guys that don't seem to have any problems even after beating the *expletive deleted*it out of the optic.

Thoughts? Opinions?

set462

Back to top Go down

Racking Your Slide With Optic Empty Re: Racking Your Slide With Optic

Post by jimsteele 7/1/2023, 6:00 am

When I get a chance to observe the better shooters, I see they use the optic to rack the slide.
  SP22 users move  the bolt from the under side . I do what they do.

jimsteele

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 7/1/2023, 9:33 am

Using the optic to rack the slide is fine.  Most guns are not very tight, so you’re only overcoming a few springs forces to rack the slide. Tighter guns are overcoming lug contact which isn’t much more force and the optic/mount can handle it.
In my experience worst thing I ever see is loose mounting screws which 99.9% of the time is not from racking the slide.
Use the optic, it’s a great handle!
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

mbmshooter, Ed Hall, chopper, ak41, Allgoodhits and samtoast like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by KBarth 7/1/2023, 10:10 am

It's not like the optic isn't moving while the slide recoils.  So I'd think racking the slide to load would be less intense than the recoil would be on the optic
KBarth
KBarth

Jack H and Al like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lonegunman 7/6/2023, 5:08 am

My primary 1911 has nearly 30,000 rounds thru it and has had ONE optic.  Racking it with or without handling the optic has had zero effect.
lonegunman
lonegunman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down