Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cylinder length and hollow points

3 posters

Go down

cylinder length and hollow points Empty cylinder length and hollow points

Post by Eindecker 8/26/2023, 6:43 pm

my magnum dies are set up perfectly, just perfectly. I was going to load up my 159 gr SWCHP tonight.. and remembered to do a spin test... thank god i did. 

damned hollow points stick out 1mm from the front of the cylinder... and im using proper starline cases, matts bullets 159 HP, and te factory crimp..

any shorter hollowpoints.. im not exactly interested in loading special brass to magnum levels

Eindecker

Back to top Go down

cylinder length and hollow points Empty Re: cylinder length and hollow points

Post by S148 8/26/2023, 7:30 pm

What is the loaded overall length?

S148

Back to top Go down

Post by Eindecker 8/26/2023, 10:23 pm

ill have to slap it on a ruler.. but it sticking out of the cylinder face about 1 mm. cant get the cylinder closed if i have it in the top slot ..

Eindecker

Back to top Go down

Post by S148 8/26/2023, 10:36 pm

Right. Your load manual will show you the maximum loaded overall length of the cartridge, which for the 357 Magnum is 1.590-inches. Your loaded round should not exceed this, though some revolver cylinder will allow the round loaded a little past this.

To make that bullet fit, which has a very long nose, you might have to crimp over the shoulder, and not in the crimping groove. I think that's what Elmer Keith did when loading his cast bullet in the long 357 Magnum case.

S148

kruppd likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Eindecker 8/27/2023, 6:52 pm

S148 wrote:Right. Your load manual will show you the maximum loaded overall length of the cartridge, which for the 357 Magnum is 1.590-inches. Your loaded round should not exceed this, though some revolver cylinder will allow the round loaded a little past this.

To make that bullet fit, which has a very long nose, you might have to crimp over the shoulder, and not in the crimping groove. I think that's what Elmer Keith did when loading his cast bullet in the long 357 Magnum case.

its a hollowpointed version of kieths 170 swc... so im seeing my gun is a short cylinder and its good i never went after heavy slugs..

im gonna look at the loading data and find a spiffy low end load for 38/44 to use

Eindecker

Back to top Go down

Post by S148 8/27/2023, 7:28 pm

Eindecker wrote:its a hollowpointed version of kieths 170 swc... so im seeing my gun is a short cylinder and its good i never went after heavy slugs..

You're blaming the wrong thing.  If your revolver is chambered in 357 Magnum, it's not a short cylinder.  It is designed around the 357 Magnum cartridge and complies to SAAMI specs.  Seat one of your bullets to 1.590-inches and drop it in the chamber.  How does that fit?

The issue is that the bullet nose is too long. To make it fit, seat it deeper. As noted you can crimp over the shoulder. There is no law that says you MUST crimp in the crimp groove. See how the bullet fits in the case when you seat one to 1.590-inches. 

Keith wrote in a November 1935 article in the American Rifleman on the new 357 Magnum cartridge in reference to his design cast bullet, "The length of the case then made it necessary to crimp over the front shoulder of the bullet, . . . " If Elmer Keith can do it, so can you.

S148

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 8/27/2023, 7:44 pm

There were SOME 357 cylinders that were shorter than others.
https://singleactions.proboards.com/thread/19166/cylinder-lengths-magnum-revolvers-measured
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by S148 8/27/2023, 8:09 pm

Wobbley wrote:There were SOME 357 cylinders that were shorter than others.
https://singleactions.proboards.com/thread/19166/cylinder-lengths-magnum-revolvers-measured

Sure. But they will all fit a 1.590-inch long cartridge.

S148

Back to top Go down

Post by Eindecker 8/31/2023, 11:34 am

seems i fall into the 1.580 long cylinder family... figures.. at least i dont have to worry about anything over 158 grain solids..

Eindecker

Back to top Go down

Post by S148 8/31/2023, 12:08 pm

Eindecker wrote:seems i fall into the 1.580 long cylinder family... figures.. at least i dont have to worry about anything over 158 grain solids..

Did you load a round to 1.590" OAL and drop it in your cylinder to see how it fit?

How long are the rounds that protruded from your cylinder?

S148

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down