Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Things to do around Ft Moore (formerly Benning)?

4 posters

Go down

Things to do around Ft Moore (formerly Benning)? Empty Things to do around Ft Moore (formerly Benning)?

Post by Chase Turner Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:59 am

Hello,

In a couple of weeks, USA Shooting will be having their 1st selection match for next year's Olympic team. I'm headed down to shoot in the match for the experience and deliver some targets. Having never been to Columbus, I really don't know much about the areas activities and venues worth seeing. I know I'll be shooting for a couple of hours a day, and then have the rest of the time to do as I please.

So, if you've been to Columbus, what places to eat would you recommend? What attractions are worth visiting? I'm specifically not listing cuisine preferences or interests so as to gather a bigger list of things to do while there.

Bonus points on hotel recommendations, if you happen to know a good place to stay.

Thanks,
Chase

Chase Turner

Back to top Go down

Things to do around Ft Moore (formerly Benning)? Empty Re: Things to do around Ft Moore (formerly Benning)?

Post by aub1957 Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:52 am

I live not far from Columbus, but rarely get over there. I know there's a bunch of good places to eat in Columbus. There's a place 15 minutes north of Columbus in Hamilton called Hunter's Pub and Steakhouse that is supposed to be real good. It's a hole in the wall, but the food is supposed to be outstanding. Every time I have driven by, it has been packed.

I hear that the National Infantry Museum at Ft. Benning is worth going to. I would plan to check that out.

If you don't mind driving a little ways, Callaway Gardens/Pine Mountain is a neat place to visit and FDR's Little White House in Warm Springs is an interesting place to tour.

aub1957

Sa-tevp and jmoore like this post

Back to top Go down

Things to do around Ft Moore (formerly Benning)? Empty Re: Things to do around Ft Moore (formerly Benning)?

Post by Cmysix Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:15 pm

Infantry museum is a must see. be careful in Columbus, River walk is iffy during the day, don't go at night. Columbus is Geogia's second largest city believe it or not but it's economy has been based on the military base, pawn shops and strip clubs and when they  went to war the economy really fell. Take a short drive to Tuskegee and see the air field or come on over to Auburn and  see the university.
Cmysix
Cmysix

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:16 pm

My memories are of tattoo parlors everywhere just outside the gate.  Old running buddy always tried to get me to get one.  Never did.    Smile

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmysix Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:50 pm

you can white water raft in Columbus too. they can speed it up or slow it down, got a zip line in that area too.
Cmysix
Cmysix

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase Turner Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:57 pm

Updating the thread with information based on my limited experience this trip:

1) Yes, you should go to the National Infantry Museum. I rushed through in about 2 hours, and could have spent a little more time there (but got hungry). Exhibits are well done, very nice facility. I'm not really a military buff- so I'm not sure if it would have the depth some may find fulfilling- but the cost is free. So go, and turn around leave if you don't like what you see.

2) Mabella's Italian Steakhouse was good chow. Probably spendy for some folks, but you should learn to treat yourself on a trip to a nice place. I had the lamb, which I thought was wonderful (though I wished the honey mint mustard sauce was a little more put together), and everything else was just lovely. Spend the money.

3) Had lunch with some friends at Sapo's. I had the street tacos- and they were excellent.

Didn't make it to the Naval museum, but maybe next trip.

Do be forewarned- many restaurants are closed Sunday & Monday. Check google before you go to see what is open when.

-Chase

Last edited by Chase Turner on Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chase Turner

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmysix Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:09 pm

will have to try Mabella's
Cmysix
Cmysix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down