Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Canton McKinley Frank Bickar Memorial Match

+8
john bickar
Grouse
Wobbley
RoyDean
mbmshooter
Jon Eulette
weber1b
PhotoEscape
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Canton McKinley Frank Bickar Memorial Match - Page 2 Empty Canton McKinley Frank Bickar Memorial Match

Post by PhotoEscape Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

I, and, I presume, many on this forum too, received solicitation letter from the President of the club asking for input on proposed changes for the format of the match.  In nut shell, suggested change is shrinking match to two days with shooting two 900s (22 & CF) on first day, and 45's 900 and all EIC matches including revolver on second.  Team matches would be eliminated as well as evening activities for one of the days.  There are two questions being asked:
1. Yes / No on participation if format gets changed, and
2. Preferred days - Friday/Saturday or Saturday/Sunday.

When it comes to this particular match, I personally have no single answer.  I like the way match was run, like people and atmosphere of the match.  Minor factor for me in keeping old format is in the fact that our team took first in class this year, and I even got whopping $6 prize  Canton McKinley Frank Bickar Memorial Match - Page 2 1f603.  However, determining factor for me rather is the synchronization with other matches of the OH/IN trip.  Especially between Canton and Perry, as housing at Perry might not be available if former ends day earlier.

Bringing this up for discussion.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Canton McKinley Frank Bickar Memorial Match - Page 2 Empty Re: Canton McKinley Frank Bickar Memorial Match

Post by john bickar Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:08 am

chiz1180 wrote:Just an update for the group, The Frank J. Bickar Memorial will be a three day match July 12,13,14. No teams, but will have CMP Service Revolver. Some other changes will likely be present. Match Bulletin is to be published in March.

Thank you for the update, Chris. I really appreciate everything that you do for Bullseye Pistol in Ohio, and beyond. You're doing yeoman's work; I know that it's largely unappreciated. I've been there and am there; I'm really impressed with your skills and abilities to both build your shooting skills, and build and sustain a vibrant shooting community in our discipline. Please know that I appreciate what you do.

I think it should be pretty clear that I have a really strong bias that colors everything that comes out of my mouth about the Canton Regional (and all of the lesser competitions that occur before and after it Laughing), so take all of this with that bias in mind, and with the requisite grain of salt:

• I think it's awesome that the Canton McKinley Rifle and Pistol Club (CMRPC) solicited feedback from shooters before making changes
  • I provided (really lengthy) feedback
  • Other shooters did too
  • CMRPC acted on that feedback and adjusted the match format accordingly

I think all of the above is indicative of a really healthy sport. I'm happy to see it. My vote was in favor of team matches, but in the grand scheme of things, I'm OK with team matches being dropped if it means that CMRPC can keep running this Regional. I'll provide future feedback on that. I have to make tough decisions every day; CMRPC did too. I do think it's critically important to Bullseye Pistol that CMRPC continues to run this match.

In the feedback that I provided to CMRPC leadership, I also added this tidbit, which I'm not sure many people know:

The reason that this is the "Frank J. Bickar Memorial Regional" is not because he was a great shooter (he was), but because he did everything in his power to make the Regional a "destination" match. I appreciate everything you and the entire CMRPC membership do to continue that legacy.

I really appreciate every shooter's feedback on this match. I'm in a weird spot as a shooter, a Match Director, a legacy, and a Life Member of CMRPC.

One thing that I really enjoy is shooting shoulder-to-shoulder with all of you. The "legacy" part of the above is that I really enjoy seeing people participate and succeed in this sport that I enjoy so much.

I strongly encourage everyone to shoot the 2024 Canton Regional. Please come out and support our Club!
john bickar
john bickar

orpheoet likes this post

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2