Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flow in BE shooting

4 posters

Go down

Flow in BE shooting Empty Flow in BE shooting

Post by JHHolliday 1/31/2024, 11:04 pm

I noticed that on my good days at the range the necessary concentration has the effect of pushing out other thoughts and worries.  With recent world events shooting has become even more enjoyable as a refreshing break from it all, and better mood afterwards.

Years ago I read an interesting book on this topic, "Flow", by the late psychologist Mihali Csikszentmihali.  Unlike the author's name, the book was accessible and describes a pleasurable / ecstatic state of intense concentration experienced by people when fully engaged in a favorite activity in which they have some expertise.

Here is a video of the good professor C. explaining flow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXIeFJCqsPs
JHHolliday
JHHolliday

john bickar, SingleActionAndrew and wjwillia like this post

Back to top Go down

Flow in BE shooting Empty Re: Flow in BE shooting

Post by BE Mike 2/1/2024, 9:40 am

That is the very reason I started shooting bullseye pistol. It got every little concern off my mind. It was truly recreation! It wasn't until much later that I got obsessive with it! Smile
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by L. Boscoe 2/1/2024, 12:15 pm

I knew a guy who was on the Army's Olympic team. His teacher was
a guy who was into Zen very much. He gave me a few tips that helped,
especially in stringing shots.

L. Boscoe

Back to top Go down

Post by hengehold 2/7/2024, 4:17 pm

JHHolliday wrote:I noticed that on my good days at the range the necessary concentration has the effect of pushing out other thoughts and worries.  With recent world events shooting has become even more enjoyable as a refreshing break from it all, and better mood afterwards.

Years ago I read an interesting book on this topic, "Flow", by the late psychologist Mihali Csikszentmihali.  Unlike the author's name, the book was accessible and describes a pleasurable / ecstatic state of intense concentration experienced by people when fully engaged in a favorite activity in which they have some expertise.

Here is a video of the good professor C. explaining flow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXIeFJCqsPs

Getting into the “flow state” is very interesting, Thanks for sharing. I started reading about and practicing meditation in the last year and it is basically the same thing as getting into the flow state. So each time I shoot a string I am meditating for that window of time. With meditation and the flow state I have found that it gets easier with practice. 

I do find that the Constant getting into and out of and back into the flow state during Bullseye Pistol is part of the challenge of that particular sport. Stopping going down range and changing targets every 10 shots is challenging one’s ability to find the flow State quickly and repeatedly as much as it is testing your fundamentals of the game.

-Trevor

hengehold

dieselguy624 and mostly22lately like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down