Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sear Spring Question ?

+13
rich.tullo
Jack H
james r chapman
rfmiller
dronning
Froneck
Jerry Keefer
kc.crawford.7
Jon Eulette
DavidR
Wobbley
Dr.Don
Skid
17 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

bending sear spring - Sear Spring Question ? - Page 3 Empty Sear Spring Question ?

Post by Skid Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:33 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ok I was weighing my hardball gun trigger and it won't lift the 4lb weight . My friend says all you have to do is bend one of your sear spring fingers and your good to go is this right ? and if so which sear spring finger do I bend. Now I don't know yet if I have a 3 finger spring or a 4 finger spring but in any case which one would I bend if this is the correct method to fix this or what is the correct method to fix this ?
                                                                                              Thanks in advance for all your guys help.

Skid

Back to top Go down

bending sear spring - Sear Spring Question ? - Page 3 Empty Re: Sear Spring Question ?

Post by jglenn21 Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:50 pm

middle leaf is easier to play with and will apply the most pressure with the least bending..   nothing to it really just use a set of needle nose
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

bending sear spring - Sear Spring Question ? - Page 3 Empty Re: Sear Spring Question ?

Post by Magload Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:02 pm

Well I bent the left and got the 8oz I needed and the trigger feels good and functions properly.  Now have made my 4 BE guns legal today.  

Thanks for everyone help.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by Russ OR Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:14 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:A good rule of thumb is to put half the weight on the disconnecter leaf and half on the sear leaf. If disconnecter is to light it can double or go full auto. If you take grip safety off and put mainspring housing in with the hammer strut sticking out the rear of frame and hammer down, you can pull trigger and feel and weigh the center leaf only. Put half the weight on it. Now adjust sear leaf to weight you desire.
Jon

Thanks.  - would it be any different on a lower for a 22lr conversion? 

Russ

Russ OR

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:49 am

I decided to replace the 4 leaf Clark sear spring my gun came with (unknown age as gun came from an estate sale). I tried to use a fishing scale to test individual spring leaf tensions and disliked the non-repeatable results, so I picked up a Lyman Trigger Gauge last night.

I took a new Colt Sear Spring and bent it with trial and error to get 17 oz on the disconnector only and then 36 oz on the disconnector and sear (per instructions on Weigland's Brownell's write up).  I felt those weights were close enough to start with. 

According to the write up, and other threads here, those measurements should have given me a slightly above 3.5# for trigger pull, but it only measured 2.5# when fully assembled.    I then went with trial and error bending both leaves to get up to a 3# 4 oz trigger last night and will work on it more tonight to get up to legal weight.   I did not have enough time to measure the individual leaf's tension after getting the trigger up to that weight.

Why might I be getting such different results from the write up?  It seems like my sear hook/hammer tension/friction is less than other's since it added .5# instead of the 1.5# others have written about gaining on full assembly.  

Thanks!
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:12 pm

I got 3 1/2 today and then tested the individual leaves.   Disconnector leaf was 1# 7 oz and disc and sear leaves were 3# 6 oz.

It seems strange that my pistol is only adding 2 oz for sear hook friction where other are getting 1#.   Part of that is probably a lighter mainspring (19) than a stock 1911.  

Don't get me wrong, the trigger feels very smooth with a short roll, but I still am slightly puzzled on why the difference between this pistol and the ones Wiegland worked on.
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3