Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Red Dots-what are you using, how much $, and where do you get them?

+13
Colt711
Kimber-45
durabledan
Swelfelo
huntingnt
Jerry Keefer
Jack H
Paper-Puncher
Steve B
Jerry Goldfarb
jakuda
dan allen
Rob Kovach
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Red Dots-what are you using, how much $, and where do you get them? - Page 2 Empty Red Dots-what are you using, how much $, and where do you get them?

Post by Rob Kovach 9/10/2011, 11:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

I thought it would be a good topic to talk about the red dots we are using. Everyone knows that AimPoints and Ultradots are highly rated, but for us poor/cheap folks, a discussion about what else people use and if it's a good dot would be interesting and helpful.

Be sure to put down if the dot works well and if there are any other attributes about the dot that might help your fellow shooter.

I have been shooting 30mm Adco Dots on both of my match .22s. Both were used on ebay for <$100. Pros: they work really well and have a nice crisp round dot. Cons: One is brighter than the other. I can't use the dim one outside on a bright day.

On my 45, I am shooting a Burris FastFire II. Bought it used on ebay for $150. Pros: Small and lightweight. waterproof coated optics that dont dazzle when wet. Good dot, auto brightness. No machining for mounting the dot. Not in the way when clearing a malfunction. Cons: No clicks for elevation and windage, only screws that turn. On/Off switch is on the side of the sight, and it's easy to accidentally switch the sight off when you pull the slide back.

Let the rest of us know what you are using.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Red Dots-what are you using, how much $, and where do you get them? - Page 2 Empty Re: Red Dots-what are you using, how much $, and where do you get them?

Post by Jerry Keefer 11/17/2012, 9:13 am

Jack H wrote:I am not sure I understand the base configuration for the Aimpoint Micro. Is it an integral Weaver type? Or do we need an adapter which I often see advertised, and I am very confused. Regular Weaver mounting and Jerry Keefer's extensions would make the Aimpoint very ideal.
Hello Jack;
A pair of previously mounted Micros, and the almost finished new lower, stronger base plate mount machined from 6061 aluminum. Four small screws pull the scope body down into 20 degree angles at the sides of the plate. The recoil block in the center, is a very light tap in fit into the base of the Micro body. The recoil block and the 20 degree angles do all the work in securing the scope to the base. The tolerances are quite close, which makes the system very secure.. A well thought out sturdy system.
Red Dots-what are you using, how much $, and where do you get them? - Page 2 DSC03527
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Red Dots-what are you using, how much $, and where do you get them? - Page 2 Empty Re: Red Dots-what are you using, how much $, and where do you get them?

Post by Colt711 11/18/2012, 3:22 am

huntingnt wrote:Has anyone used a Bushnell TRS-25 or a Vortex Sparc? It would be nice to have something smaller on the .22 that's a little cheaper than an Aimpoint.

I'm using the Bushnell on a Bob Marvel AA and have nothing negative to say about it. I intend to try it on a 38 (1911 conv) and my 45 soon. Got the best price on Amazon. Low $80's.

Ron

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer 11/18/2012, 9:39 am

Micro on a Marvel Conversion
Jerry
Red Dots-what are you using, how much $, and where do you get them? - Page 2 DSC03533
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by paperseeker 11/19/2012, 3:02 pm

huntingnt wrote:Has anyone used a Bushnell TRS-25 or a Vortex Sparc? It would be nice to have something smaller on the .22 that's a little cheaper than an Aimpoint.

I've used the TRS-25 on both my .22 and my .357. The dot isn't nearly as clear on the higher end red dots, mine looks more like blurry star but I can't complain for the price. It's just not in the same class as the others.
paperseeker
paperseeker

Back to top Go down

Post by ddivins 11/21/2012, 5:58 pm

I use an Aimpoint Micro H1 on my primary gun. I have a Matchdot II, which is very nice, but the aimpoint is in another league.

-dsd

ddivins

Back to top Go down

Post by sakurama 11/22/2012, 12:45 am

Jerry,

Which are you turning threads on? The Micro dot or the tubes? Inner or outer or both and are you single pointing that tiny short thread? Fantastic work - you've inspired me to work on a better/lower mount for my matchdot on my GSP.

Gregor
sakurama
sakurama

http://www.gregorhalenda.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TAJ45 11/22/2012, 9:44 am

Not wanting to butt in on your question Gregor, but as a toolmaker, I do believe what Mr. Keefer said was he turned the screw HEADS to match the counter bore precisely. This would give him lateral/recoil head contact as opposed to clearance which would only rely on the compression effect of the bottom of the screw head for holding things in place.

Hmmm, Jerry, I just had a random thought.........would it be any quicker to just use 2 or three dowels pressed then ream for slip fit of the plate with a jacking screw or two? Just a wild thought.......any merit or pitfalls to this thinking?

Now, back to the original poster's question.

I like the 4 Dot in that with my slightly above mediocre shooting abilities, my head likes the dot to almost fill the black......the wobble doesn't seem to upset my mind as much (and it sure don't take much).

The 12 moa available with the 4 Dot does the trick. The Matchdot only goes up to 8. Now, Burris does have one that goes up to 10 which I am curious about. Would that smaller by two moa size offend my personal visual sensibilities? Don't know.

But, I do know that the 50' tgt is completely covered by the 12 moa whereas the 20 yd and beyond gives me a ring of black. In another section it is mentioned that the 50 footer is a tuffer tgt to score on. I've heard it said before and my dot is telling me "It's twue".

Because the old saying that "Pistol shooting is 65% mental and the rest is in your head" makes me not want to see a small dot break dancing around the black.......I go waaaaay past the Chicken Finger stage even though the wobble is the same - just able to see it more. Kinda like using a 24X scope for your offhand work instead of a 10x. Same wobble but it just looks like you're swinging from the east coast to the left coast.

Still shooting irons on the .45 but am looking for a mount. Only shooting 70% execution so far on my crawl back up the skill hill with the .45.

Just in case you do snag an UD with variable dot size, it was mentioned a few years back on the old BE-L board that the poi would shift when changing dot sizes. That helped me as I was experiencing shifting groups when going from slow to sustained and experimenting with changing dot size. I don't know if the other brands suffer from this. No first hand experience or gathered/read about knowledge.

TAJ45

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer 11/22/2012, 4:55 pm

sakurama wrote:Jerry,

Which are you turning threads on? The Micro dot or the tubes? Inner or outer or both and are you single pointing that tiny short thread? Fantastic work - you've inspired me to work on a better/lower mount for my matchdot on my GSP.
Gregor
Gregor;
I turn and single point thread the aluminum adapters out of 6061 tubing, to fit the Ultra Dot extensions and filters. The thread is metric 0.60 The tubes are counter bored and pressed onto the Micro.
Jerry
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer 11/22/2012, 5:06 pm

TAJ45 wrote:Not wanting to butt in on your question Gregor, but as a toolmaker, I do believe what Mr. Keefer said was he turned the screw HEADS to match the counter bore precisely. This would give him lateral/recoil head contact as opposed to clearance which would only rely on the compression effect of the bottom of the screw head for holding things in place.

Hmmm, Jerry, I just had a random thought.........would it be any quicker to just use 2 or three dowels pressed then ream for slip fit of the plate with a jacking screw or two? Just a wild thought.......any merit or pitfalls to this thinking?
No, but I think it would work fine. In lieu of that, I machined a .032 deep step on the top, and bottom of the side plate. When the screws are torqued, this pulls the mounting surfaces into that step and prevents any possibility of shift. Plus, as you mentioned, the screw heads are sized to the counter bore.. That frame mount in the photo has many thousands of rounds thru it, plus Canton and Perry. It preformed fantastic...
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2