Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1911 Dry Fire Technique

+2
mspingeld
ramiller
6 posters

Go down

1911 Dry Fire Technique Empty 1911 Dry Fire Technique

Post by ramiller Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:38 am

I am a total noob, and am trying to work on fundamentals.

When I am dry firing my 1911 - and cocking it, I find my grip changes and that I end up 'milking' the grip to try to adjust.  Over time, I feel like my grip moves considerably from where I set it at the beginning.  Any theories on the best approach to staying consistent while dry firing?  Regrip the pistol from your other hand every shot?  How do other guys do this? 

Thx

ramiller

Back to top Go down

1911 Dry Fire Technique Empty Re: 1911 Dry Fire Technique

Post by mspingeld Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:08 am

Welcome! I highly recommend reading the following series of articles by Ed Hall. They've helped me immensely with all of the fundamentals. You'll see Ed on this forum occasionally. I had the pleasure to thank him in person at Camp Perry this year. http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/12PPC01.html

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by davekp Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:36 am

ramiller wrote:I am a total noob, and am trying to work on fundamentals.

When I am dry firing my 1911 - and cocking it, I find my grip changes and that I end up 'milking' the grip to try to adjust.  Over time, I feel like my grip moves considerably from where I set it at the beginning.  Any theories on the best approach to staying consistent while dry firing?  Regrip the pistol from your other hand every shot?  How do other guys do this? 

Thx

Cock it with your other hand. Or do a total regrip for each shot.

davekp

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:58 am

Remove the magazine.  After each shot cycle the slide to cock the pistol. The extra motion simutates the movement in your hand during recoil.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:05 am

Good for you for recognizing a problem. That's a big part of the battle. Work on grip strength. Tight grip=tight group. Work on independent trigger finger pressure while maintaining a tight grip. Improvement won't come over night. You should also develop confidence in getting a consistent grip, each and every time you seat the pistol in your hand. This will help you be able to relax, give your hand a break and re-grip for another X. If bullseye weren't challenging, we wouldn't stay with the sport.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:35 am

One thing to remember is don't grip too tight. Old school was to grip the 1911 until the oil came out of the wood grips. However your hand will get tired and the harder you grip the gun your trigger finger is harder to move. Never pick the gun up with the shooting hand, use the non shooting hand to seat the pistol in the shooting hand. Never "milk" the grip, use the non shooting hand to adjust the hold.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down