Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

powder choice

+3
dan allen
DavidR
Paper-Puncher
7 posters

Go down

powder choice Empty powder choice

Post by Paper-Puncher Wed Dec 14 2011, 11:27

Of the 2 powders.......Clays,Bullseye......which powder would you say has the best chance of produceing a accurate load in .45 / 200gr LSWC's......I understand full well that all guns differ......and I probably need to try it out but ....of the guys that have used both powders which one has produced the best loads in your guns over the yr's.........on average......seems like Bullseye is mentioned alot more.....

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

powder choice Empty Re: powder choice

Post by DavidR Wed Dec 14 2011, 12:20

bullseye is much better at producing consistent accurate loads, just dirtier than clays but meters a whole lot better. 200 Lswc with 3.8 with slide mounted dot, or 3.6 with frame mount or open sights, crimped to .469 with about 1/32'' of the lead shoulder showing above the case will drill the x ring out. So before any clays fans holler, my reasons are based on the fact that clays is accurate, but its shape hinders consistent metering and its light flake weight allows it to jump from the case in many progressive loading presses, if you check the weight of charges often and are very careful advancing the stations after the powder is in the case then clays will shoot as good as bullseye. If you go with clays, the above info will work great with it too.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper-Puncher Wed Dec 14 2011, 17:15

what shape is bullseye powder? not that it matters just curious...from what you said it may not matter much...I have to load very carefully on my lee 1000....it has to be the most temprametal press Ive ever seen.....ive you dont hold your tongue just right it wont feed a primer or if you go just a bit to quick the primer will jamb the shell plate and throw it out of time.......

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by dan allen Wed Dec 14 2011, 17:45

Like sand or maybe coarse salt.

dan allen

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper-Puncher Wed Dec 14 2011, 18:16

dan allen wrote:Like sand or maybe coarse salt.

got it....should meter somewhat better then....gonna pick up a lb to try hopefully this weekend.......

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by jakuda Wed Dec 14 2011, 18:28

Titegroup and WST meter like water...

jakuda

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Wed Dec 14 2011, 20:48

Joe Fobes says that he found the Bullseye to work better in the Springfield. He uses Clays in his Caspian based custom. He uses his Dillon with the Bullseye, but bought a different brand reloader when he couldn't get the Clays to meter correctly in the dillon.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper-Puncher Wed Dec 14 2011, 22:04

Rob ,

I think Joe go a lee 1000 or the bigger one....not sure....my lee doesnt meter to bad..but it sure gets a case of the A$$ sometimes with primers and timeing.....

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Wed Dec 14 2011, 22:07

I'm pretty sure Joe's new loader is a very fancy lee.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper-Puncher Wed Dec 14 2011, 23:32

that would make the one above mine......very nice rig for sure

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Thu Dec 15 2011, 00:30

Lee Pro 1000. I keep it clean and take my time loading and the primer issue is pretty non existent.

I love the case feeder!

I'm too cheap to buy fancy presses. Yes the Clays meters well in the Lee and in my opinion burns cleaner and shoots slightly softer. Enough for me to spend the money on a second press just so I can load with Clays, and remember I'm cheap!!!
Founder
Founder

https://www.bullseyeforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper-Puncher Thu Dec 15 2011, 00:44

joe ,

something I found seems to help on the 1000 besides keepin it clean it some dry silicone spray lube.........spray some on a q-tip and run it thru the primer slot every 4-500 primers and it runs pretty good and clean clean is the key on this thing ....canned compressed air to keep any spilled powder or dirt blowed out .

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Thu Dec 15 2011, 15:50

invest in a rcbs hand primer (35.00)and forget the lee setup, you can hand prime 500 cases in less than a hour, then you can load on a lee alot faster with no headaches. I started on a 1000.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper-Puncher Thu Dec 15 2011, 17:09

DavidR wrote:invest in a rcbs hand primer (35.00)and forget the lee setup, you can hand prime 500 cases in less than a hour, then you can load on a lee alot faster with no headaches. I started on a 1000.

You must have experienced the same OH $hit situations that I have .......But thx ...That is a great idea....have no clue why I havent already thought of that.......

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Fri Dec 16 2011, 10:47

No, i threw the lee primer stuff in the trash when i got it and never looked back. Soon as i could afford it the lee 1000 and dies found another home. Lee is imo just barely capable of loading match grade ammo, it was a good learning experience and made me really appreciate what a good reloader was once i got one.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper-Puncher Fri Dec 16 2011, 20:55

DavidR wrote:No, i threw the lee primer stuff in the trash when i got it and never looked back. Soon as i could afford it the lee 1000 and dies found another home. Lee is imo just barely capable of loading match grade ammo, it was a good learning experience and made me really appreciate what a good reloader was once i got one.

My neighbor has a dillion progressive....he shoots alot...IDPA,PPC,IPSC and has been playin around with bullseye....the dillion is a nice machine...he said his can get tempramental at times but every time Ive helped him load Ive never seen it....I cant tell you how many 1000's of rds he has loaded on that thing but he shot 14,000 rds last yr....he's a deputy sherriff and single so his spare time is usally at some match someplace......now the BE bug has bitten him so maybe if he shoots the same load as me I can just load my stuff on his machine....is crazy how many rds he can load in a hr once he gets goin..he wanted to shoot with me last wkend so he said give me a bit so I can go load some ...I figured he be about 1-2 hrs ..hell he was at my back door in like 45 mins with more rds in his range bag than I had on hand at the house.....dont know how many rds it was but I can do like 40-50 in that time but he had over a hundred easy.........hes got a gun & loading room in his basement ..I'd sell my Harley to duplicate .....

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Sat Dec 17 2011, 00:15

Funny, once I figured out my Lee Pro 1000 it is making more consistent rounds than my Square Deal did. At least they feel and group that way. And the primers are fully seating which my Dillon never did even after a trip back the the factory for a rebuild.

Just my experience
Founder
Founder

https://www.bullseyeforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Sat Dec 17 2011, 10:45

I should have said for the money, lee is hard to beat, but there are better machines out there and In the long run, if you take your time , most any machine can produce good rounds.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve B Sat Dec 17 2011, 19:05

I can run over 400 rounds/hr on my 650 by myself without a casefeeder. 45's load super easy on that machine.

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down