Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Springfield XDM for Camp Perry

+16
devildog
messenger
SmokinNJokin
dronning
igolfat8
JayhawkNavy02
Wes Lorenz
Jerry Keefer
Dr.Don
BE Mike
HogCommander
james r chapman
Jon Eulette
Chris Miceli
LenV
Froneck
20 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Springfield XDM for Camp Perry - Page 2 Empty Springfield XDM for Camp Perry

Post by Froneck Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:33 am

First topic message reminder :

My son was asked to shoot the Springfield XDM at Camp Perry. Trigger weight was increased to 4 pounds. The targets are in the photos. He shot a 295-15X with it, shooting another rapid fire he shot a 100-7x (3th target) Simply put for those new shooters you do not need a decked out fancy pistol to get a good score. Understand these are witnessed targets of actual shooting not some doctored targets some gunsmith's post to claim their guns shoot great. Yes a little work was done to the gun but can be done by the shooter. Some welding was required on the barrel but I'm sure a smith can be found to do what is required.Simply put here is a pistol that can advance you to the top without spending a fortune!!!!! Yes I assume he will be shooting it  in the CMP National Match.
Springfield XDM for Camp Perry - Page 2 20160610Springfield XDM for Camp Perry - Page 2 20160611
Springfield XDM for Camp Perry - Page 2 20160610

Last edited by Froneck on Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Springfield XDM for Camp Perry - Page 2 Empty Re: Springfield XDM for Camp Perry

Post by LenV Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:03 am

Another consideration if your looking for flexibility. You can convert the 40 to a 9mm just by buying a new barrel. Lots of chatter on the net about the conversion. Some say that a reduced spring and 9 mags make it run better but not necessary. All agree that you cannot convert the 9 to a 40. Just an FYI.

Len
https://www.barsto.com/category_main.cfm?ID=XD
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Springfield XDM for Camp Perry - Page 2 Empty Re: Springfield XDM for Camp Perry

Post by Froneck Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:07 pm

After posting what I did, I like you OldMaster see quite a few articles on the XMD, quite a bit of chatter at my club too about it though mostly from IDPA shooters. However some are Bullseye shooters also. I listed the recommended items after talking to members of my club. They have a number of different calibers from 9mm, .40 and .45. I'm sure by now other makers are making barrels so there might be others that are as good as or better. So far the ones I listed were being used by the members at my club. I might add that the rules should be checked for each discipline in that the rules might be different. Something like the tungsten or solid steel guide rod is a gray area. It don't say you can't use it however it does say weights can't be added. I didn't check the rules as per my recommended list, I simply added what other members at my club were suggesting. As for me right now I'm sticking the with 1911 since it's the gun I know best.
 I don't have a XDM so know very little about it, seeing Adam shoot well with it I thought is was a good entry level pistol and 9mm cheaper to shoot. I didn't ask what was in his pistol but can find out if anyone wanted to know, All I confirmed was the caliber he was using.
 While talking to someone at the match I attended they had a bushing inserted in the slide. Again I don't know if that's allowed or how it was installed but it supposedly improved accuracy.
 Simply put I thought this gun would be a great entry level pistol as it offers a simple way to modify it to get great results. I have always stated that the way to the top of the classification a shooter must start with a pistol that will group well within the 10 ring so I think here's a cheap one that's giving good results.
 Just a note, Rereading what I wrote I see I goofed. Probably having Camp Perry on my mind as it's so near. He was asked to shoot Interservice with it but couldn't since it didn't have 4 pound trigger. Trigger was adjusted up to 4 pounds and shot it after Interservice. I'm not sure exactly which gun Adam intends to shoot in the NTI, when we were discussing it he mentioned some what jokingly that it was shooting so good he might use it in the NTI. I'm sure he will be shooting the XMD and the Beretta in practice leading up to Perry and decide which he will be shooting as he gets to Canton. However it wouldn't surprise me if it was the XDM seeing what he's done with it.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by igolfat8 Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:50 pm

They've got a horrible trigger but otherwise a decent gun for the money.

igolfat8

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:09 am

igolfat8 wrote:They've got a horrible trigger but otherwise a decent gun for the money.

Solved with either a Springer Precision or Powder River Precision drop in trigger kit. 

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:04 pm

Speaking of Springer Precision.... I wish I had deeper pockets. This looks like a good start and finish. NFI

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/567606256
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinNJokin Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:25 am

Frank,
Your son is a hell of a shot! I would kill for some targets like that on service pistol day next week.
I have an XDM 5.25 in .45acp with the powder river valley trigger. Never even thought about using it for CMP matches. The trigger feels very similar to the very long roll on a match .22 like an AW93. It is absolutely stellar, especially with the heavy 4lb pull. If you prefer a crisp trigger, I am not sure that it is really possible to get that kind of feel out of a striker gun.
Recoil is very tame, even with full power loads.
I will be on the lookout for them on the line next week, it really does seem like an economical option.

SmokinNJokin

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:09 am

I talked to Adam at interservice while we were shooting and Brad while he was in the AMU trailer. 
He said they use a mix of KKM barrels and re-welded stock barrels, which are very close.   The triggers are from Springer Precision.

I don't have a 9mm, so I'll probably find a gunsmith to weld up my XD(M) 5.25 45 as a loaner pistol to new shooters and a backup gun.

Last edited by JayhawkNavy02 on Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:39 pm; edited 5 times in total
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinNJokin Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:09 pm

I talked to the AMU armorer this weekend and the Springfield Custom Shop guys set up on vendor row about the XDM accuracy mods. They showed me the welded up barrel (on the bottom pad under the feed ramp) and we talked triggers. They made it sound like welding up the barrel and fitting it was very simple and did not require a specialized BE smith, and that any competent smith could do it. Unfortunately, the SA custom shop said they are swamped and not taking new orders.
Bill Springfield http://www.triggerwork.net/ does it for very cheap, he's the only other person I have found. I have no experience with his pistol work, but have used him in the past for an M1A trigger job that was absolutely stellar and shockingly cheap ($35 if i recall).

Now I just need to find the correct serrated (non-lit) target front sight!

SmokinNJokin

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:16 pm

SmokinNJokin wrote:Now I just need to find the correct serrated (non-lit) target front sight!

Here ya go.
- Dave

https://dawsonprecision.com/springfield-xd-xdm-xds-black-front-sights/

Springfield XDM for Camp Perry - Page 2 021_121_00__72067.1438191689.360.360
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:07 pm

I just had the chance to look at a Springfield Custom Shop XDM that a friend owns and shoots. It's really nice. Actually snaps into battery; very well fit barrel. Really only two things to fit; hood and bottom lugs. Also nice that they use 1:10 twist barrels. Really likes 147 gr bullets. I've welded Colt barrels in the past and have shot 880's with them, so I see no reason why you couldn't weld up an XDM and get good results. Trigger jobs are simple to do as well.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:21 pm

How much does it weigh compared to a 1911

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:23 pm

I'm told the barrels shoot good and they are being welded and fitted. Therefore if someone knows what they are doing it can be done as Jon suggested and get good accuracy for Bullseye.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:47 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:Also nice that they use 1:10 twist barrels. 
Jon
Imagine that...wonder where that idea originated..
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinNJokin Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:55 pm

Dave,
Thanks for the link! I love Dawson sights, don't know how that one slipped past me!

SmokinNJokin

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:01 am

Looks like I will need to get a Dawson sight soon. I took my new XDM 40 cal for a test ride today and made it thru 8 rounds before the fiber optics fell out.  I wasn't un-happy with the 8 rds.

Springfield XDM for Camp Perry - Page 2 07241610
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:05 am

OldMaster66 wrote:Looks like I will need to get a Dawson sight soon. I took my new XDM 40 cal for a test ride today and made it thru 8 rounds before the fiber optics fell out.  I wasn't un-happy with the 8 rds.

Springfield XDM for Camp Perry - Page 2 07241610
Nice 80

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:04 pm

I swapped the front sight out for a Dawson Precision and then started tinkering. This shouldn't be a big surprise since I'm the guy that mounted a dot on my air pistol. Going to have to give it a test drive soon. The fun is in the journey. Laughing
Springfield XDM for Camp Perry - Page 2 Dscf0836
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:06 pm

Are those availabe stateside?? The mount
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:12 pm

James,
It came from Israel but got it on E-bay. It came real fast. Well, ten days but it felt fast.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281697710886?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:17 pm

Grotesque, but, should be here wednesday, lol
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:10 am

Are there any smiths out there that will do the modifications mentioned?
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:05 am

I took the dot out for a test drive today. I would love to be able to show a clean target but this is the best of the 4 timed fires I did with it today. It looks like I have a little stringing and a "what's it doing over there" shot. The pistol is fun to shoot but it will never replace a 1911 as my go to gun.
Springfield XDM for Camp Perry - Page 2 08201610
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by devildog Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:56 pm

Any updates on this?  People having good or bad luck with this pistol?  Is AMU still messing with it?  I shot one not too long ago, and shot it much better than my .45. I am thinking of campaigning with it while I build my skill level.
devildog
devildog

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:39 pm

I borrowed one for a EIC, in 45 shot a 270ish, i justed ordered a XDM 5.25 in 9mm i like the gun.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:56 pm

The AMU is using the XDM for combat shooting. Adam won production class at the Bianchi Cup match with it. So he used it shooting a few Service Pistol Matches with it and did very well so just for the fun of it he used it at Perry. As far as I know the AMU has no intention of changing to the XDM for the Service Pistol Match but they are being worked on and modified as much as the rules allow for use buy AMU members shooting Action type matches.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next