Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cardinal Shooting Center Tours

3 posters

Go down

Cardinal Shooting Center Tours Empty Cardinal Shooting Center Tours

Post by Danehogle Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:30 pm

My fellow competitors,
   As we all are getting ready for our annual pilgrimage to the Nationals, I wanted to invite everyone, while your driving to and from Camp Perry, to take a tour of Cardinal Shooting Center. 
I have made arrangements to have a friend and fellow shooter, Doug Hall to be there on Saturday July 9th in the afternoon. 
As I am competing at Canton, I will be able to give the same tour on Monday, July 11th from 8:00 am tell 3 pm.  Just a word of warning, there will be a few thousand  kids shooting the Scholastic Shooting Sports Foundation  Nationals  July 9th thru July 16th. 
I will also be at Cardinal on Monday, July 18 all day for those wanting to take a slow drive home. 
Please let me know if you wish to see what the future holds for our shooting sports. 
Feel free to Email or P M me. 

Dane Hogle
Danehogle@yahoo.com
http://www.thecardinalcenter.com
Danehogle
Danehogle

Back to top Go down

Cardinal Shooting Center Tours Empty Re: Cardinal Shooting Center Tours

Post by Orpanaut Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:40 pm

I went to the Cardinal Center this afternoon to check things out.  

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to locate Doug Hall for a tour so I just wandered around on my own.  A few impressions:

1) The Cardinal Center is big.  I already knew that, but walking over a mile from the entrance to the pistol range made me realize just how much space they have.  They could host the pistol phase of the National Matches at one end and still run their trap and skeet lines at the other.  

2) The Cardinal Center knows how to run big events.  Today they had junior teams from around the country, lots of sponsors and vendors, and pistol and shotgun matches running at the same time. 

3) The pistol range that I found is not suitable for bullseye matches.  It's a great facility for action shooting with about a dozen sub-ranges separated by concrete walls, but each space was only about 10 yards wide and 20 yards deep.  

4) Next door to the action pistol range is a space that looks like it could be a bullseye range someday.  There's a dirt berm about 80 yards from the road and a wide, flat space in front of it that could fit a range the size of Canton-McKinley's.  But for now it's just dirt.  Since I didn't have a guide, it's entirely possible that there's another pistol range there that I didn't see. I left my car at the entrance and I didn't have the time or the energy to explore the whole facility on foot. 

5) Anyone who's worried that the Cardinal Center isn't safe because it's too close to Columbus can relax.  It's at least a 20 minute drive from the outerbelt, way out where the corn and the soybeans grow.  It's about as close to Columbus as Camp Perry is to Toledo.

Orpanaut

Back to top Go down

Post by Danehogle Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:18 pm

I am sorry that you didn't get the tour.
The 700' long berm to the east of action pistol,
is for the two 50 point 50 meter bullseye range. Construction will restart after the SSSF nationals.
It is 450' north of the road and is currently 25 feet tall. 
Remember, what you seen ( 14 action all pistol pits and 14 skeet fields) 
Were built in the last 5 1/2 months.
Danehogle
Danehogle

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Hall Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:57 pm

Sorry we didn't meet. I was at the action pistol range sitting with Brian Zins in the green golf cart from 4 to 6:30 or so. The big flat spot is the bullseye parking lot, golf cart path just like the trap range, and the clubhouse / training center. The (2) 50 position been is all but done, the bulldozers Behring the action pistol pits will go back to work after the 3000 youth shooters pack up next weekend.

Doug Hall

Back to top Go down

Post by Orpanaut Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:51 pm

Brian Zins was there?  Was he taking the tour, or does he have some deeper level of involvement?

And what's the estimated opening date for the bullseye range?

Orpanaut

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Hall Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:12 am

Brian is the Match Director for the pistol events at the Scholastic nationals this weekend.
The first Bullseye match was scheduled for September 11, 2016 or after but, with range expansion for the action pistol pits to host the current event some dates "might slide". The plan was to have 100 of the 300 positions done this fall including the clubhouse training center. We will find out from Cardinal shortly after Perry what the revised dates will be.

Doug Hall

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down