Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bullseye Tip of the Day

+23
Precisionjunky
Bullseye_Stan
tceva
Keithcrc
mspingeld
VolScorpion
steve berman
xman
dullom
Yiogo
DRNurse1
Motorcycle_dan
Snobal
Founder
BE Mike
SMBeyer
Sgt_Gold
Jack H
TomT
lonegunman
Rob Kovach
jakuda
DavidR
27 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Bullseye Tip of the Day - Page 2 Empty Bullseye Tip of the Day

Post by DavidR 3/15/2012, 4:51 pm

First topic message reminder :

Post a good, informative Tip if you have one.

From the AMU training guide:
Trigger control is of very great importance in producing an accurate
shot. When the
shooter exerts pressure on the trigger, he must do so in a manner that
does not alter the sight
alignment, or position of the pistol. Consequently, the shooter must be
able to exert smooth, even pressure to the trigger. Furthermore, the
trigger must be pressed in conjunction with maximum concentration, peak
visual perception of sight alignment and minimum arc of movement.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Bullseye Tip of the Day - Page 2 Empty Re: Bullseye Tip of the Day

Post by Keithcrc 9/20/2017, 2:57 pm

Don't squeeze the trigger. Move it rearward.
Keithcrc
Keithcrc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 9/20/2017, 4:39 pm

Bullseye Tip of the Day - Page 2 Frontis
Bullseye Tip of the Day - Page 2 FrontisBullseye Tip of the Day - Page 2 Frontis
The Great Walter Winans

Here are some shooting tips published in his 1912 book. He was very impressed with the new Colt 1911 service pistol.

https://bookspublicdomain.com/Shooting/The-Modern-Pistol-and-How-to-Shoot-It-by-Walter-Winans.html#Page_38

It is advisable to have the same weight of trigger-pull on all your pistols. If they vary it makes it difficult to shoot equally well with all. The heavier trigger-pull of some will hamper you, and the lighter trigger-pull on others may make you discharge them before you mean to.
It is advisable to have the same weight of trigger-pull on all your pistols. If they vary it makes it difficult to shoot equally well with all. The heavier trigger-pull of some will hamper you, and the lighter trigger-pull on others may make you discharge them before you mean to.
Before practising for or entering a competition, see that your trigger-pull complies with the regulations, as nothing is more annoying than, after making a winning score, to find your trigger-pull is too light and your score in consequence is disqualified.
It is best to have the trigger-pull well over the minimum so as to allow for its getting lighter during shooting.

https://bookspublicdomain.com/Shooting/The-Modern-Pistol-and-How-to-Shoot-It-by-Walter-Winans.html#Page_113
Now as to holding the stock of an automatic pistol. The United States Regulation Colt .45 Automatic has the best grip of any, and one can hold it, as I have advised for the duelling pistol, right up hard against the projection over which the recoil slide operates.
The Colt automatic pistol, like the Smith & Wesson hammerless safety pocket revolver, remedies this defect by having a second safety which makes the pistol safe, even if the first safety slide is not at safe. This consists of a lever at the back of the stock which is at safe till the hand presses it in firing and which keeps the weapon safe till the stock is gripped in actual firing.

https://bookspublicdomain.com/Shooting/The-Modern-Pistol-and-How-to-Shoot-It-by-Walter-Winans.html#Page_113
In my opinion the United States .45 Regulation Colt Automatic pistol is the best of all army pistols. (See Plates 13 and 14.) The way it was chosen should guarantee this.
It was first chosen because it passed all the[Pg 232] military tests such as sand, rust, and freedom from jamming under rough usage. Then it was put into the hands of all the best pistol shots in the United States and their reports examined. It has, therefore, not only passed military but expert shooters’ tests, and alterations were made in accordance with their reports.

The first thing I did when I got my United States .45 Colt Automatic pistol was to put on it a white silver bead front sight, first removing the regulation black knife edge front sight.
I then made the U in the hind sight very big. This pistol has been carried through the war by my chauffeur, W. Francis, who entered the Russian Army as a volunteer and has gained the St. George’s cross for bravery and he is delighted with the sighting of the pistol, and can do very rapid shooting with it.

Back to top Go down

Post by tceva 9/21/2017, 5:58 am

Let me see if I can get this quote right "What is new was once forgotten" by some person much more notable than me.
tceva
tceva

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullseye_Stan 11/10/2017, 6:58 am

Shooting in competitive matches provides a unique experience that cannot be duplicated in practice, with the result of becoming a better competitive shooter.  Only at a Bullseye match will the true test of ones competitive shooting skills be demonstrated.

Bullseye_Stan

Back to top Go down

Post by Precisionjunky 2/7/2018, 10:00 pm

Founder wrote:Shoot practice like a match and matches like they were practice.
great advice
Precisionjunky
Precisionjunky

Back to top Go down

Post by 12XNPC 3/1/2019, 11:22 am

Shooting practice like a match is a horrible idea unless you area already a 2670 shooter. a 2670 Shooter has pretty much mastered everything and they are just looking to fine tune their skills to be able to break 2680, 2690 an so on. If you are not at that level yet, you still need to train in bit seized pieces before putting it all together. 

Until you can shoot all tens at 25 yards in slow fire why are shooting timed and rapid? 
Until you can shoot all tens at 25 yards in slow fire why are shooting why are shooting 50 yards in practice?

Can you call the shot placement of all your shots at 25 yards?
Can you shoot 10 - 2 second one shot drills at 25 yards and they all be within the black at 25 yards? 

If you cannot shoot all tens at 25 yards in slow fire, what makes you think you can do it timed or rapid fire? If you cannot shoot 10 - 2 second one shot drills all in the black what makes you think you are gonna do it in 10 or 20 seconds? 

You cannot shoot 100 if your first shot is not a TEN. 

There is a time to shoot across the course of fire in training once in a while, but to shoot NMC after NMC course and call it training is insanity. You are basing your training off what the score you shot not on the performance. 

Stop acting like a bunch of millennials that want instant gratification of shooting a great score without putting in the hard work and dedication to get there. 

Break it down into bite sized pieces that you can master. seriously Robbi Leatham Said it best. Stop aiming, if you cannot squeeze, pull, manipulate, press the trigger or whatever you wanna call it without disturbing the sights what is the point in the aiming. 

If you take a "that'll do" approach to aiming, trigger, stance and grip and try to shoot a tight group at 25 and 50 yards you will find "that'll do" DON'T DO IT! 
12XNPC
12XNPC

bruce martindale, hammerli and rckendall like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 3/1/2019, 2:29 pm

Worth repeating:

There is a time to shoot across the course of fire in training once in a while, but to shoot NMC after NMC course and call it training is insanity. You are basing your training off what the score you shot not on the performance.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 3/4/2019, 8:41 pm

I guess I am not ready for timed and rapid fire. I tried Gunnies test to see if I was ready. The first round out of the 7th mag I called at 9:00. It went "ok" for the rest of the magazine. Then it started to fall apart. I quit at 50 rds when I realized it was going down hill fast. My "ok" is when the pistol surprises me when it goes off while the dot is in the center. It is a lot harder then it sounds to keep all your shots at 25yds in the 10 ring. When you shoot everything at one target it is a lot like dry firing but there is a bang when the hammer falls.

Bullseye Tip of the Day - Page 2 20190312
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits 5/23/2019, 9:28 pm

Look at the best shooters while they are preparing to shoot and shooting. Pay attention to as much detail as possible as to exactly what they do. Pay little attention to their targets. Their targets will likely just frustrate you. In other words look at them executing the shots, not the shots going into the target. Watching holes happening to targets will teach you very little, but watching the mechanics of what one does to make that happen, can teach you much.

Understand that the mission is to be as good as you can be, not necessarily as good as they are. The difference can be overwhelming. To be as good as you can be, is all you can ever expect.

MJ

Last edited by Allgoodhits on 9/10/2019, 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by Surveyor 7/3/2020, 11:14 pm

I completely agree with watching superior shooters to learn from their methods. We are fortunate to have a former Olympic shooter in our league and every time our club competes against his club I try to learn something. But it is also important to remember that we are all individuals and what works great for one shooter may not work for everyone. Occasionally I will try a “hot tip” that a great shooter will give me and experience disastrous results. I try to learn as much as possible from every shooter with the goal of retaining what works for me and discarding what is not beneficial in hopes refining my abilities

Surveyor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2