Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How good do your DR scores need to be!

+3
SteveT
dronning
Tim:H11
7 posters

Go down

How good do your DR scores need to be!  Empty How good do your DR scores need to be!

Post by Tim:H11 Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:49 am

How good do you have to shoot to get a 10 point leg with Distinguished Revolver? 280's? 290's? What's average or considered decent?

Back to top Go down

How good do your DR scores need to be!  Empty Re: How good do your DR scores need to be!

Post by dronning Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:02 am

Tim:H11 wrote:How good do you have to shoot to get a 10 point leg with Distinguished Revolver? 280's? 290's? What's average or considered decent?

The cutoff at Camp Perry 2016 was 254, a 278 took 1st place.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

How good do your DR scores need to be!  Empty Re: How good do your DR scores need to be!

Post by SteveT Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:08 am

I don't remember which old time shooter said it but (in my mind in a slow southern drawl) "As long as you shoot all X's can't nobody beat you."

It totally depends on who shows up for a match and, especially at Camp Perry, the weather. I just looked at the results from the last few years and the Camp Perry cutoff ranged from 242 to 261.

In general I'd say 250's will leg sometimes, 260's will often leg and 270+ will almost always leg. Outisde of Camp Perry and the big regionals there aren't usually enough shooters at local matches (at least here in the midwest) to give away more than 1 or 2 legs, so getting a 10 point leg is a bit rare.

Last edited by SteveT on Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:09 am

Wow! I sort of expected more. Not trying to sound rude, I know the revolver is a wild one to tame, but with Masters and high masters involved I just thought more would be needed. Like service pistol or something.

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:13 am

Most of the masters and high masters have legged out already. I just looked it up and you needed a 273 to get 10 point at Camp Perry in 2005 when the program was fairly new (and not all shooters got 10 points).

The same scores are typical for a service pistol leg match, except it has a minimum score, 255 IIRC.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:15 am

don't think hard legs are required for DR... i haven't read the rule book lately though.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by cdrt Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:28 am

It's not in the Rule Book, but no hard leg needed for DR.
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:30 am

Cool! Thanks guys!

Back to top Go down

Post by rvlvrlvr Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:51 pm

dronning wrote:
Tim:H11 wrote:How good do you have to shoot to get a 10 point leg with Distinguished Revolver? 280's? 290's? What's average or considered decent?

The cutoff at Camp Perry 2016 was 254, a 278 took 1st place.
- Dave

Yeah, I remember that. Good times Wink

-Kent
rvlvrlvr
rvlvrlvr

Back to top Go down

Post by rreid Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:55 am

When I legged out, I was shooting 267-273. I don't think I ever broke 90 at the long​ line, but I managed to get low to mid 90's at the short line. A lot of the non distinguished shooters were dropping major points in rapid. My technique, and I didn't invent it, was to fire the first shot single action and the remaining 4 double action. I gripped the gun as high as possible and was able to keep the grip consistent through the string.
rreid
rreid

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:15 am

rreid wrote:When I legged out, I was shooting 267-273. I don't think I ever broke 90 at the long​ line, but I managed to get low to mid 90's at the short line. A lot of the non distinguished shooters were dropping major points in rapid. My technique, and I didn't invent it, was to fire the first shot single action and the remaining 4 double action. I gripped the gun as high as possible and was able to keep the grip consistent through the string.

I can shoot really well long line, 88-92. and Timed Fire mid 90's. All single action. I haven't yet tried rapid fire but my guess is I'll shoot it like you - first shot single, and the remaining four double. Gonna try it this weekend. I'll shoot two NMC's and see how it goes. Maybe a 900. Not sure.

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:27 am

Tim:H11 wrote:
rreid wrote:When I legged out, I was shooting 267-273. I don't think I ever broke 90 at the long​ line, but I managed to get low to mid 90's at the short line. A lot of the non distinguished shooters were dropping major points in rapid. My technique, and I didn't invent it, was to fire the first shot single action and the remaining 4 double action. I gripped the gun as high as possible and was able to keep the grip consistent through the string.

I can shoot really well long line, 88-92. and Timed Fire mid 90's. All single action. I haven't yet tried rapid fire but my guess is I'll shoot it like you - first shot single, and the remaining four double. Gonna try it this weekend. I'll shoot two NMC's and see how it goes. Maybe a 900. Not sure.
i shoot with single action,  once you get the recoil hammer down technique down its pretty easy. The hardest thing for me was not letting the rest of my fingers relax the grip while getting on the hammer.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down