Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

John Dreyer's "Tournament" Match Director software

+21
weber1b
rodney
-TT-
clark2245
Joe Morgan
Wes Lorenz
David Donley
fc60
TonyH
cdrt
kgwhite
bdutton
jmdavis
J.Ack
ChipEck
farmboy
carykiteboarder
fpk
CR10X
Ed Hall
Rob Kovach
25 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

John Dreyer's "Tournament" Match Director software - Page 2 Empty John Dreyer's "Tournament" Match Director software

Post by Rob Kovach Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:07 pm

First topic message reminder :

Folks,

Attached is a full version of John Dreyer's "Tournament" software.

I discussed putting a free version of the software on the forum with John's widow and she thought it was a great way to extend John's legacy.

There are a number of very smart software developers on the forum and I'm hoping that bugs that John never got around to fixing can be fixed here with updated versions that are more compatible with current MS Excel versions could be posted and supported here on the forum by the members. Just add any bugs to this thread and add new versions to the thread with v.mm-yy as the version number with the mm being the month and the yy as the last 2 digits of the year.

The following conditions of use apply and are considered accepted by anyone who downloads the file(s):

• the software is not to be resold
  • no one shall profit from future versions based on the original code
  • future versions will always be known as "John Dreyer's Tournament"
  • The password to unlock the formulas is jd111

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f9cu8hulj8o2njj/Tournament.exe?dl=0

Also, let me know if anyone has trouble with my dropbox link.....

Last edited by Rob Kovach on Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

John Dreyer's "Tournament" Match Director software - Page 2 Empty Re: John Dreyer's "Tournament" Match Director software

Post by kgwhite Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:13 pm

So trying to get tournament to work ... It says I need Statoffice81 installed under the tournament directory. So now I need Statoffice81. There was mention of posting it here but I dont see any links to download. Can someone post it or email it to me (woolyfsh@comcast.net).

Thanx!

kgwhite

Back to top Go down

John Dreyer's "Tournament" Match Director software - Page 2 Empty Re: John Dreyer's "Tournament" Match Director software

Post by cdrt Wed May 02, 2018 9:02 am

Has anyone else had the problem, when printing out labels from the drop down menu, everyone is listed as a Junior, besides their real category?
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:13 pm

If someone is willing to share a copy of Statoffice it would be greatly appreciated. I looked in all the posts but cannot find a link to download it. Starting an indoor program this winter and am trying to find a good way to track scores. Thanks.
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:53 am

Greetings,

I have StatOffice 8.1, Tournament 1.0 and 2.0.

I will gladly send them to anyone that can use them.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

John Dreyer's "Tournament" Match Director software - Page 2 Empty OpenOffice

Post by fc60 Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:55 am

Greetings,

Tried to use StatOffice 8.1 with Open Office 4.0. NO GO. Got a lot of Macro errors.

Anyone out there been able to do a conversion from Windoze Excel to OpenOffice?

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

John Dreyer's "Tournament" Match Director software - Page 2 Empty StatOffice 8.1

Post by David Donley Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:36 am

Our club uses StatOffice 8.1 for our matches.  Works well for our needs and is easy to use.  However, it is loaded on a very old computer that has become unreliable and will sometimes show the Blue Screen of Death.  Would like to move everything over to a newer, more reliable computer; one is available, but so far no luck in moving Excel 2000 over.  The old computer is a Windows XP machine.  The newer one is Windows Vista.

Does anyone know what versions of Excel are compatible with StatOffice 8.1?  Found out that Excel 2007 is not, nor is OpenOffice.

Would a later version of Windows run both StatOffice 8.1 and Excel 2000?  Computers aren't that hard to find nor so expensive nowadays, just need to know what setup will work without buying something that may not.

Any assistance/advise is greatly appreciated.

David Donley
Match Director
River Bend Gun Club
Dawsonville, GA

David Donley

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Lorenz Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:34 am

David Donley wrote:
Does anyone know what versions of Excel are compatible with StatOffice 8.1?  Found out that Excel 2007 is not, nor is OpenOffice.

David Donley
Match Director
River Bend Gun Club
Dawsonville, GA
Hi David,
I live & shoot near Seattle and a few Microsoft employees have told me that every update of windows changes some of the micro's in excel.
They have told me to use an old computer with XP because that is what John used when he made the program.
I think I got this right - I'm just a welder.
Wes

Wes Lorenz

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:22 am

I was going to suggest the same as Wes, basically.  Use a computer with the old OS and Office and keep it off any network.  Only transfer files off with a trusted USB or similar device.

Alternately, you should be able to use a Virtual XP Machine on a newer computer that is connected to the network, but with the network blocked for the VM.

If possible, I opt for the former.  If fact, in practice I have done just that with some of my matches and my Bullseye.xls package.  I use a laptop with older Windows and Excel.

Additional note: Open (or Libre) Office will probably never be compatible with Excel (Visual Basic) macros, but does StatOffice use macros?  I'm not directly familiar with it and thought it was based on formulas only.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

John Dreyer's "Tournament" Match Director software - Page 2 Empty Thanks, Ed

Post by David Donley Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:14 am

Thanks, Ed.  My challenge now is to find a reliable XP machine.  As to the macros in StatOffice, I think that it does use macros.  Every time you start it up, it warns you to enable macros or it will not work.  Thanks to everyone who replied.  Now I at least have an idea how to proceed.

On a slightly different tack, I also have Tournament which I downloaded from this site.  What versions of Excel are compatible with Tournament?  Does it have to run on an XP machine as well?

David Donley

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:58 am

Why don't you guys switch to a modern and one stop solution such as the Precision Shooting Matches website to organize and publicize matches? Follow the link and read the details for yourself. In addition Richard does a great job in providing support quickly and is wide open to suggestions around improvements, additions to the site.
Give it a shot.....try something new! Don't need old machines or new machines, any machine you have now works! Don't have to worry about what version of Windoze or client software you have.....
All of your headaches now become Richards at little or no cost to you! Laughing. I am sure Richard will appreciate that remark greatly!!
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:34 am

I am using Windows 10 with Stat Office 7, I think.

I would like to switch to Tournament 2.0, but though I have the software, I have not taken the time to do so. One issue I have seen with the modern Excel is copies of copies can be a problem. I occasionally have to go back to an earlier save and then re-ad (via copy and paste), my competitor list. This is why I like the archive feature of Tournament. 

Certain parts of the app will work with Open Office, but others will not, and has been pointed out likely never will.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Morgan Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:56 pm

TonyH wrote:Why don't you guys switch to a modern and one stop solution such as the Precision Shooting Matches website to organize and publicize matches? Follow the link and read the details for yourself. In addition Richard does a great job in providing support quickly and is wide open to suggestions around improvements, additions to the site.
Give it a shot.....try something new! Don't need old machines or new machines, any machine you have now works! Don't have to worry about what version of Windoze or client software you have.....
All of your headaches now become Richards at little or no cost to you! Laughing. I am sure Richard will appreciate that remark greatly!!

A problem in using this website, or any other, is the internet isn't available everywhere, so this site can't print out match bulletins as they happen if your club can't get connectivity.

There is also the learning curve for anything new- if John D were still with us, there is no telling what we'd have today. But the great thing was no lock in, and of course, the lock moved along with everything else. 

Exporting the shooter data in a lot of match directors files is also going to be a sticky wicket...

Joe Morgan

Back to top Go down

John Dreyer's "Tournament" Match Director software - Page 2 Empty Need StatOffice 8.1 original

Post by David Donley Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:11 pm

fc60 wrote:Greetings,

I have StatOffice 8.1, Tournament 1.0 and 2.0.

I will gladly send them to anyone that can use them.

Cheers,

Dave

Dave,

I'm making a little progress, I think, getting my club computer modernized.  The local computer guru set me up with a Windows 10 machine and copied everything off the old XP machine onto it.  Runs great, should work fine far into the future.  But . . .

The Windows 10 machine has Excel 2003 on it.  StatOffice works fine with it.  Except.  There is a problem with a copy of a copy of a copy.  If you create a match in StatOffice, then copy it to create a second match, when you go to wipe the data from the copied file, it wipes the data from both files.

Luckily I had the old computer available this past weekend so the State Championship came off without a hitch.  Going forward, I'd like to keep everything on the Windows 10 machine because the XP machine gives the Blue Screen of Death sometimes and it's only going to get worse.

Starting with an original copy of StatOffice 8.1 should help with this problem, right?

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Best regards,

David Donley
River Bend Gun Club

David Donley

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:39 pm

Greetings David Donley,

Interesting the StatOffice wipes the original and copied file. I have not experienced that one, yet.

I have set up Tournament 2.0 and have it working on Windoze 10 with Excel 2000. It requires "monkeying" around with the Tournament directory/folder.

I have been able to create several Match Templates, 2700, 1800 - 2 Gun, and 1800 - 3 Gun.

Also, the conversion of the Competitor database from StatOffice to Tournament was successful. Within Tournament, there are four (4) Competitor databases you can use.

If desired, I can email you the Tournament 2.0.exe file. It is not very large. I do suggest installing it with a Windoze XP machine then copying the entire Folder/Directory to a USB stick and pasting it into Windoze 7, 8, or 10.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by David Donley Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:15 am

Dave,

Thanks for the reply.  Actually, I was hoping to get an original file of StatOffice 8.1.  I have downloaded Tournament 2.0 from the original posting by Rob Kovach at the top of this thread.  I believe  Tournament is a much more powerful tool, but is probably harder to use than StatOffice.  For our small monthly 2700s, StatOffice works fine.

I may need to go back to my local guy and try to get Excel 2000 on the Windows 10 machine.  Looks to me like Excel 2003 may be the culprit in the "wipe everything" problem.

Over the off season I will try out Tournament 2.0 and see if it's what we need.  Just hate to tamper with a system that is working.

If you could send an original copy of StatOffice 8.1, I would appreciate it.  Please send to dwdonley@mindspring.com.

Thank you.

David Donley

Last edited by David Donley on Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : "mindspring" misspelled)

David Donley

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:50 pm

Greetings David,

I found the *.exe of StatOffice 8.1 and emailed it to you.

Apologies for spelling your name wrong.

Cheers,

David
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by clark2245 Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:10 am

Has anyone been able to make any progress toward getting Statoffice updated so it will run with the new versions of Excel?   I have been using Statoffice 7 for many years for my matches and it does what I need, but I'm having to replace at least one of my computers and the new versions of MS Office won't even load Statoffice 7, or at least the free online version was unable to "convert" it and just gave an error message without trying to load.   I guess I can buy an old laptop and get an old version of office somewhere, but it would be a lot easier and better if Statoffice 7 could be made to work with the new versions.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

clark2245

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:12 am

Clark:  Sent you a message.  Seems to work with Excel for Microsoft 365 MSO (subscription version).  Probably has the same macro bug as Excel 2010 when entering shooters, but did not test enough for that or export / printing yet.  The free Excel programs probably don't have previous version compatibility option.  I did not covert or change any settings on the MSO version.

CR10X

Back to top Go down

John Dreyer's "Tournament" Match Director software - Page 2 Empty StatOffice 8.1 & Excel 2003

Post by David Donley Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:11 am

Clark,

I was dealing with a similar problem last year.  We were using an old Windows XP computer which was getting more and more unreliable.  When you started it up, about half the time you got the blue screen of death.

Finally I went to a local guru who was interested in shooting, so he sort of understood what i was trying to do.  I wound up with a nearly new Windows 10 Dell.  I have been using StatOffice 8.1, so I continue to use that.  We discovered that Excell 2003 will work with StatOffice 8.1, so all is good.  The computer should last for a long time and it's light years faster then the XP machine.

Hope this is some help.

David Donley
River Bend Gun Club
Dawsonville, GA

David Donley

Back to top Go down

Post by clark2245 Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:06 pm

Thanks David, it looks like it may not be a problem after all.   As Cecil mentioned it turns out the more recent versions of Office have a compatibility mode that seems to allow running older 'legacy' software like this.   He tried everything but printing and exporting data and it appeared to work so that is very encouraging.   I'll be getting a new version of Office soon and will report back what I find so others will know what to expect.   Hopefully we won't have to maintain old dedicated computers to run our bullseye software.

clark2245

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:41 pm

It appears that my Statoffice 7 has failed. Even a reinstall will not work. I also tried tournament, but all of the cells are locked. Five hours I spent tonight and the only good thing that I have to show for it is an excel file of my competitors archive. I'm very happy about that but unhappy about not being able to get my match work done.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:17 am

Jim:  

Your file may have become corrupted. Do you want to try another copy of StatOffice7.  I can send you the files if you want to try. 

Remember that StatOffice7 and Tournament will have issues with newer Excel versions (if you've updated Excel recently) due to the macros needing permission to run.  Be sure to check the message box when you start the program.  

By the way, don't save different versions of the file for records keeping purposes, just export the match bulletin and competitor list to save them and start a new match each time.  I think that may have been and issue with one of the posters above on this topic.

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:30 pm

Cecil, I think that the issue may be a corrupted MS Office. I actually went back to the original version and the problem persisted. I am installing Office 365 now and will check. Thanks for the advice.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:45 pm

It was an MS Office problem. All is well with Office 365
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by clark2245 Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:34 am

CR10X wrote:Jim:  

By the way, don't save different versions of the file for records keeping purposes, just export the match bulletin and competitor list to save them and start a new match each time.  I think that may have been and issue with one of the posters above on this topic.

CR
Cecil, I have been using "save as" to create a new named version for each match for over 10 years now and it seems to work fine for me.   No problems at all, and I'm not really sure why that might cause any.  I just keep a separate folder for each match with that copy of StatOffice7 and pdf's of the results and a few other reports.  That would also allow me to recover more easily if something ever did happen since I have a full working version from the prior month's match available.

I can also confirm that Office 365 works ok with StatOffice7 including the print functions and everything I have tried.   Guess you either need an older version of Excel or the newest.

clark2245

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next