Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bore is bright...

4 posters

Go down

Bore is bright... Empty Bore is bright...

Post by joy2shoot Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:31 pm

I am just ranting here.

Every now and then I look at online retailers such as Gun Broker, Guns America, etc looking for a specific used firearm and one of my pet peeves is a description that says the 'bore is bright'.  I have not figured out what that means.  I guess if a bore is worn out, pitted and gouged, as long as it does not have rust, it can be described as bright.

My all time favorite bore description is 'minty and bright'.  I actually contacted that seller asking if they could send photos of the bore.  They said no because the bore is as described, minty and bright.  Too bad.  I was hoping to actually see a bore that sounded like a toothpaste ad.

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Bore is bright... Empty Re: Bore is bright...

Post by Tim:H11 Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:49 pm

Bright meaning shiny or clean enough and undamaged so it glares when a bore light is shown down it. If it was leaded up, or rough from pitting it would look dull in appearance or matte finish looking when a bore light is used. So bright is a good clean and undamaged bore.
Tim:H11

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:00 pm

Second to Tim:H11 with addition that when bore is shiny, one should be able to see rifling from the muzzle all way to the chamber as very dimensionally consistent line.  Obviously you will need to rotate barrel and follow rifling line start to end.  Somewhat tedious as most barrels have at least 5, more often more grooves. 
AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joy2shoot Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:18 am

Tim, AP, thank you for your insight.

Attached below is a photo of a S&W 617.  While the bore is bright, it does have some issues.  If this gun were listed on one of the retail auction sites, how would you expect the bore to be described?

Note:  S&W has replaced the barrel on this specific gun so the issue no longer exists.  I am just trying to get my head around the phrase 'bore is bright'.  Thanks.
Bore is bright... Bore10

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:52 am

The bore on your picture doesn't look bright nor shiny to me.  It is rather looks dull from leading. pitting or some other problem.  Bright / shiny bore should have mirror level surface throughout.  I'm trying to illustrate such with bad quality picture taken by phone.  But, I hope, it gives idea as to what look for.  APBore is bright... Getatt10
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joy2shoot Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:06 am

Thanks AP, it does give me a better idea.

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:01 am

Is that the muzzle end of that 617 or the forcing cone end? It looks loke thenforcing come end and my guess is it’s probably a lot of leading and carbon. Not bright and shiny. It’s dulled out.

Back to top Go down

Post by joy2shoot Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:49 pm

Tim:H11 wrote:Is that the muzzle end of that 617 or the forcing cone end? It looks loke thenforcing come end and my guess is it’s probably a lot of leading and carbon. Not bright and shiny. It’s dulled out.
Tim, it is the muzzle end.  I have attached the full photo that I sent to S&W.  If it is leading, then it is leading from the factory since this gun is straight from the factory. i.e. purchased new, not used
Bore is bright... Bore210

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:50 pm

Oh then I'd guess it's a rough bore and would benefit from being lapped. I have a 17-3 and even in it's age I have a cleaner looking bore than that. Call S&W and tell em no good. Could always shoot it and see if it's actually got accuracy issues. 22 is forgiving. I shot an old woodsman with two bulges in the barrel in two separate locations and at least at 25 yards it held black. Not good for competitive use but it shot ok for plinking or what ever.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:59 pm

I think he said it had been replaced by S&W already.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joy2shoot Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:24 pm

Wobbley wrote:I think he said it had been replaced by S&W already.
Yes, it has been replaced.  This is an old photo I took when I purchased the gun new to send to S&W for a repair authorization.  I used it in this post to get a better understanding of what sellers are trying to portray when they say 'bore is bright'.  I am getting a better understanding (I think).  If the bore has a matte sheen to it (such as the one in my photo), then it could just be dirty or it could represent an issue.  As AP and Tim are saying (again, I think), a bore with a mirror like shine is one of the things a buyer wants to see in a bore.

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:31 pm

Oh .... slow here....lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down