Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

volquartsen

+7
Jwhelan939
dronning
zanemoseley
AllAces
Olde Pilot
Chris Miceli
mikemyers
11 posters

Go down

volquartsen Empty volquartsen

Post by mikemyers Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:16 am

I have zero interest in buying one of these, but a relative read all the on-line info, watched the videos, and now thinks it's the best there is:

https://volquartsen.com/departments/pistols

We looked over their website together, and he kept getting more enthused, while I kept seeing reasons for him to get a proven gun.

Before he plunks down the money, is it worth buying, or just a lot of fancy words and photos?

One thing that he was impressed by was the weight.  He has rotator cuff injuries, and a lighter gun might help - or might just wave all over what's in front of it.

volquartsen 1622-1521496659-mag-scorpion-with-comp-hi-viz-sights-green-grips
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

volquartsen Empty Re: volquartsen

Post by Chris Miceli Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:18 am

buy a ruger mk iv

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Olde Pilot Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:29 am

Scorpion is well-made, accurate gun. However, Ruger Mark IV or Nelson/Marvel on dedicated lower or SIG X-esse or SW41 are all less $ than the Scorpion and are "mainstream", proven winners, not novelties.

Olde Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:43 am

Go with Ruger Mk IV or M41. Invest the savings in physical therapy. I had rotator problems four years ago and pt worked for me.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:57 am

I got a good deal on a new Volquartsen olympic target pistol from Gunbroker, it was sold directly from Volquartsen. It was a nice pistol with a lot of nice parts but I wouldn't have wanted to pay full price on it. I ended up selling it, the pistol was too front heavy due to the large barrel. I far prefer 1911/22 conversions.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:05 pm

+1 on the Mark IV, much better value.

BUT if the $$corpion will get him shooting he will be happy with it, get the carbon fiber barrel for even lighter weight.  Just DON'T buy a compensated version like in your picture, it's just makes noise and not functional on a 22.
- Dave

One other note the Scorpion may not hold it's resale as well.
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:10 pm

I shot one for a few years. I shoot it every bit as good as my Pardini. It's a fantastically accurate gun. I actually think the balance is perfect with the long barrel. The volthane grips are also very good. At around a thousand I think it's a better value than my ruger was. The trigger and accuracy don't come close on my ruger.

Dronning, have you tried the Scorpion? The compensator is a screw on that actually makes a big difference in feel. Also, some of the ammo that tested better in my barrel cycled more reliably with the comp.

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:35 pm

Jwhelan939 wrote:Dronning, have you tried the Scorpion? The compensator is a screw on that actually makes a big difference in feel. Also, some of the ammo that tested better in my barrel cycled more reliably with the comp.
The added weight would make a difference in feel (+or-) and it could even help with cycling, especially with a light gun.  I used a comp on my Marvel, a few years ago, primarily for the added weight but eventually got rid of it when I was given an article about accuracy hits during some extensive 22 pistol testing.  One note, all the guns tested in that article had 5 & 6" barrels.  It could be an longer barrel may have some benefit, but the additional weight is probably the biggest factor.

Then there is the issue if you ever wanted to shoot an EIC match with it you would have to remove the comp.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:52 pm

I do a trigger and barrel for less than the VQ costs. Since the mk4 has new take down VQ still a Mk3copish

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Saladman Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:49 pm

There are 2 versions from Volquartsen, the standalone (legally the firearm) LLV, and the complete package, the Scorpion.  The LLV is a great upgrade to a Ruger MK series gun, and there is a MKIV version available.  To say that the Volquartsen LLV/Scorpion are Ruger clones is basically correct as they are dimensional copies of the working parts, with quite a few differences in construction. I almost want to get a MKIV just to get the MKIV version of the LLV upper  Smile.  

The complete package that makes a Scorpion a Scorpion:  LLV upper, frame, trigger group, and bolt.  The barrels are outstanding in quality, truly, a very nice mirror sheen on the inside.  I actually assembled mine by purchasing the LLV first, and then upgrading each part until it was, effectively, a Scorpion.  It started out life as a Ruger 22/45 Lite Shocked.  

The trigger on mine was a little loose side to side so I modified it by applying some epoxy to the sides and sanding it to fit.  Personally I think the Ruger MK series triggers are the weak point as everything else can be easily upgraded.  Another annoyance was that the front sight isn't exactly perfectly squared off.  I took a triangle file and gave it a nice flat top and angle towards the back.  The regular Scorpion is all Aluminum aside from the steel small parts and barrel.  I liked the heavier gun so I added a 3D printed weight mount to mine with a solid brass weight.  The old grips were atrocious so I finally decided to get some Horton grips.  A nice looking upgrade.

On a side note, I need to do some more testing with a regular MKIII bolt, but I think the recoil impulse was actually less with the seemingly lighter weight standard MKIII bolt from the 22/45 Lite.

Anyway, I really like mine.  It shoots well.  I don't regret the purchase in any manner.  
volquartsen FCZX2rjl

volquartsen K84kjrCl

Saladman

Back to top Go down

Post by JNW1 Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:45 pm

Saladman,
What trigger is that?
Jeff

JNW1

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:40 pm

I own the Volquartsen Olympic written about above..  It is a wonderful little gun.   Stripped the sights off it and shoot it with a red dot.  
volquartsen Rj7u6CM
Acquired a LLV barrel with iron sights  I put on the frame.  Made a nice little lightweight iron sight gun.  
volquartsen F8Sbd6S
I have a Tac Sol barrel on a Ruger MKIII 22/45 frame with full up Volquartsen internals.  Makes a fine gun so light you can't tell it is in the bag..
volquartsen 6XY9Uqz
No right or wrong here in my old head.  I have a pair of M41 with multiple barrels and a pair of Nelson conversions on tricked out 1911 frames.  
Nothing is cheap when you buy good stuff..

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:32 pm

I've decided not to suggest anything to him.  He's all excited about getting it, and he hasn't been all that excited about shooting in a long time.  He thinks that he'll be able to shoot despite the full tear in the rotator cuff, and the light weight of this gun seems like an advantage for him.  No idea what will happen - if he asks for feedback, I will send him all the information above.

90% of my shooting for the past few months has been with my High Standard.  I like that gun, and I like my Model 41.  I've never shot anything exotic like a "Pardini", or the other guns I read about here but I've never seen in the flesh.

Thanks.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:49 pm

Saladman wrote:There are 2 versions from Volquartsen, the standalone (legally the firearm) LLV, and the complete package, the Scorpion.  The LLV is a great upgrade to a Ruger MK series gun, and there is a MKIV version available.  To say that the Volquartsen LLV/Scorpion are Ruger clones is basically correct as they are dimensional copies of the working parts, with quite a few differences in construction. I almost want to get a MKIV just to get the MKIV version of the LLV upper  Smile.  

The complete package that makes a Scorpion a Scorpion:  LLV upper, frame, trigger group, and bolt.  The barrels are outstanding in quality, truly, a very nice mirror sheen on the inside.  I actually assembled mine by purchasing the LLV first, and then upgrading each part until it was, effectively, a Scorpion.  It started out life as a Ruger 22/45 Lite Shocked.  

The trigger on mine was a little loose side to side so I modified it by applying some epoxy to the sides and sanding it to fit.  Personally I think the Ruger MK series triggers are the weak point as everything else can be easily upgraded.  Another annoyance was that the front sight isn't exactly perfectly squared off.  I took a triangle file and gave it a nice flat top and angle towards the back.  The regular Scorpion is all Aluminum aside from the steel small parts and barrel.  I liked the heavier gun so I added a 3D printed weight mount to mine with a solid brass weight.  The old grips were atrocious so I finally decided to get some Horton grips.  A nice looking upgrade.

On a side note, I need to do some more testing with a regular MKIII bolt, but I think the recoil impulse was actually less with the seemingly lighter weight standard MKIII bolt from the 22/45 Lite.

Anyway, I really like mine.  It shoots well.  I don't regret the purchase in any manner.  
volquartsen FCZX2rjl

volquartsen K84kjrCl
I’m in love with those grips..Horton...very nice
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by Saladman Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:58 pm

JNW1 wrote:Saladman,
What trigger is that?
Jeff
It is a Tandemkross trigger that was meant, I believe, for the 22/45.  It actually has unlimited overtravel due to me accidentally ordering the wrong model for the VQ frame.  I'm not sure if I prefer it over the standard VQ curved trigger, however there is a theory as to why I've left it on.  The theory goes like this, .22 LR's shoot a bit slower than proper rifle bullets (lol no kidding) and I've heard some credible rifle shooters say that having an overtravel stop, suddenly decelerating the trigger could affect the group you're shooting.  It's better to let the trigger continue travelling back until long after the bullet has left.  If you're wondering, I've never had issues feeling like I'm running out of time due to the overtravel.

Saladman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down