Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hammerli 208 issues

5 posters

Go down

Hammerli 208 issues Empty Hammerli 208 issues

Post by Bullseye99 Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:03 am

I’ve put approximately 10,000 rounds through my Hammerli International 208 without a malfunction of any kind. Lately however, and pretty regularly now, I get am ejected shell stuck between the slide and the bottom of scope mount preventing the slide from going into battery. Interestingly enough it seems to happen only during Slow Fire, and that had not happened during sustained fire yet.
I field strip the pistol every 500 rounds, thoroughly clean the breachface and the ejector with a Q-tip dipped in with a bit of solvent and a nylon brush to make sure there’s crud build up there. I gently rotate a bent .25 cal nylon brush in the chamber to make sure there’s no crud there and run a ‘patchworm’ dipped with a bit of solvent and several clean patches to clean the chamber and the barrel. I very lightly lube the areas on the slide and the frame wich show wear with a Q -tip
The magazines get cleaned and very lightly lubed with Eezox every 1,000 rounds, and it seems to happen with different magazines.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this happens?
Thank you in advance for your replies.

Bullseye99

Back to top Go down

Hammerli 208 issues Empty Re: Hammerli 208 issues

Post by robert84010 Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:17 am

Have you replaced the recoil spring yet? 10k is more than enough to wear that out.

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:32 am

robert84010 wrote:Have you replaced the recoil spring yet? 10k is more than enough to wear that out.
recoil spring,
extractor

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:37 am

Your trouble is why I cut my mount off after a double alibi ruined my run for State Indoor Champion a lot of years ago.  However, here are a few things to check:

1: Inspect the very front of the left rear lip on the magazines to see if there is peening.  This would be from the empty cases hitting the lip instead of the ejector.  You should be able to see it as well as feel it with a fingernail if it's there.

2: Check that the extractor tip is sharp and square with no chip at the very tip of the claw.

3: Check the headspace area for two possible issues:

- a: Check that the top hasn't peened inward some, which will cause the case to ride a little lower and have more trouble staying in place during ejection.

- b: Check that the very opposite corner from the extractor hasn't flowed outward some.  The cutout should be a tiny bit more closed at the very bottom, rather than more open.

A case should be just able to slide up between the two sides of the cutout, up under the extractor and stay in place by just the extractor holding it against the opposite side of the headspace.

If interested, I have a page on cleaning, etc. for the 208s.  The adjustments are different, but the cleaning should be the same:

Cleaning and Adjustments for the Hammerli 208s

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullseye99 Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:31 pm

Your advices are greatly appreciated!
Thank you.

Bullseye99

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:35 pm

I was going to suggest the mount cut Ed mentioned, it is pretty common.  Here's a pic of my 208s the cut was already done when I got it.
- Dave

Hammerli 208 issues Img_0042
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down